Due To Interview Charlie Benante On 2/3 - Submit Questions!

I'd just ask why the hell they don't change the setlist once in a while. I saw bush thrax about 9 times (sometimes varied setlist). Belladonna era 5 times, greatest hits. Great songs but boring as fuck after a while.

Interview went well, 28 minutes (ran over the 25 mins slightly). Asked about 16-18 questions in that time. All but two questions were asked, and the remaining two were 'randoms' anyways.

Very indepth. I'll try and publish this ASAP for you guys. \m/

Interview went well, 28 minutes (ran over the 25 mins slightly). Asked about 16-18 questions in that time. All but two questions were asked, and the remaining two were 'randoms' anyways.

Very indepth. I'll try and publish this ASAP for you guys. \m/

Come on give us something from the interview

It'll be up by tomorrow at the absolute latest. I pulled an all nighter transcribing it.

Here's a bullet point list of what we discussed though:

• The Smithsonian exhibit
  • Anthrax's early days and the punk influences that made their style feel different than the other 'big 4'.
  • His thoughts on Fistful of Metal after all this time
  • The significance of Thrash, and why it resonated back then and still resonates decades later
  • Spoke about their collab with Public Enemy and his memories of recording it.
  • Discussed if they'll be featuring more from the Bush era in their live setlists
  • The songwriting process
  • What it was like to work with Jon over Rob
  • The future of Anthrax
And a lot more...asked about 21 questions overall. Very thorough interview about the band's legacy and future. His answers are a bit on the shorter side at times, but he still gave some valuable information.

Hopefully that whets your appetite for now. We'll get the interview up by Friday, and no later. Promise.

Reactions: Anthrax_Mosher
It'll be up by tomorrow at the absolute latest. I pulled an all nighter transcribing it.

Here's a bullet point list of what we discussed though:

• The Smithsonian exhibit
  • Anthrax's early days and the punk influences that made their style feel different than the other 'big 4'.
  • His thoughts on Fistful of Metal after all this time
  • The significance of Thrash, and why it resonated back then and still resonates decades later
  • Spoke about their collab with Public Enemy and his memories of recording it.
  • Discussed if they'll be featuring more from the Bush era in their live setlists
  • The songwriting process
  • What it was like to work with Jon over Rob
  • The future of Anthrax
And a lot more...asked about 21 questions overall. Very thorough interview about the band's legacy and future. His answers are a bit on the shorter side at times, but he still gave some valuable information.

Hopefully that whets your appetite for now. We'll get the interview up by Friday, and no later. Promise.

Thanks man

CB: I think we have such a big catalogue with Joey, that I don’t really feel the need to play any of those other songs. Maybe it’s me just me putting them away and not wanting to dust them off, because I feel so confident with everything else that we’ve done with Joey. And now with these new songs we’re going to have to make some room for these new songs, so some of the older ones are going to have to go for a bit too. So as far as with stuff that is in the closet, I think we’re going to leave them in the closet.

:yow:

Good questions but I have the feeling his answers are kind of bland. Like he had a PR guy to help him answer or something.

I got the feeling in listening back to the interview to transcribe it (Ed did the interview, I did the article) that Charlie doesn't give a lot of interviews and it might account for why his answers were short or at times a little simpler. Which makes sense. If you think about it, whenever you google Anthrax interviews...it's traditionally 90% Scott doing the press and you rarely ever see Charlie doing them, which means that Scott can probably do interviews at this point with his eyes closed. It's probably all automatic for him. It's hard to explain it, but you can usually tell by how easily an artist comes up with answers if they're used to doing interviews, and Charlie seemed to be very cautious and thought out in his answers, instead of flying off the cuff like someone far more confident in interviews would do. Plus, I think he was probably expecting us to ask 6-8 generic 'tell us about the new record' questions like some sites do, and was caught off guard when we had all these legacy and fan centered questions. He was happy we asked them, but I don't think he had any idea how many questions we had for him *laughs*.

Hope you folks liked it though. :)

CB: I think we have such a big catalogue with Joey, that I don’t really feel the need to play any of those other songs. Maybe it’s me just me putting them away and not wanting to dust them off, because I feel so confident with everything else that we’ve done with Joey. And now with these new songs we’re going to have to make some room for these new songs, so some of the older ones are going to have to go for a bit too. So as far as with stuff that is in the closet, I think we’re going to leave them in the closet.

:yow:
On the one hand it's insane that about 50 songs are destined for oblivion, on the other hand it's great Bush-era songs aren't gonna be butchered by injun Joe super chief anymore.

Thanks very much for posting it Derek, was great to see some of my questions in there for Charlie B!

The feeling is correct that Charlie is more guarded and doesn't speak at the same length as Scott does, but Charlie has always been like that. He's not a natural interviewee like Scott is, but the answers I did feel were good. Scott would have probably talked for an hour or two on those questions, but it's great to have Charlie's view also.

Haha yeah Scott would've probably talked for two hours, and I'd probably be curled up in the fetal position in a corner because transcribing it would be such an effort.

Is there really that many people,complaining that no bush songs are being sung,I don't think so,for me I would love if they included inside out and room for one more but there really ain't any others,I think it's best left alone.

Is there really that many people,complaining that no bush songs are being sung,I don't think so,for me I would love if they included inside out and room for one more but there really ain't any others,I think it's best left alone.

Believe it or not there actually is lol. For some reason people want to hear songs from those terrible Stomp and Vol 8 albums.

On the one hand it's insane that about 50 songs are destined for oblivion, on the other hand it's great Bush-era songs aren't gonna be butchered by injun Joe super chief anymore.

Yep. If you read between the lines, Charlie, is still mad at John for asking to be paid to do the vox on WM:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...sked_to_be_paid_to_sing_on_worship_music.html

Plus, I doubt if Joey doesn't want to do any of them. Oh well, for me, the band has moved on, so have I. I treasure the Bushthrax years and am glad I saw them twice. For me, Anthrax is over. I'm sure they will do fine without me.....LOL!

Believe it or not there actually is lol. For some reason people want to hear songs from those terrible Stomp and Vol 8 albums.

I was a bit harsh there,stomp was actually first time seeing anthrax and I was blown away by random acts and fuelled at the time,hey pro glo was a standout at the time but they are not classics,hence the inside out and room for one more comment,and of course key being back it just doesn't make sense

Yep. If you read between the lines, Charlie, is still mad at John for asking to be paid to do the vox on WM:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...sked_to_be_paid_to_sing_on_worship_music.html

Plus, I doubt if Joey doesn't want to do any of them. Oh well, for me, the band has moved on, so have I. I treasure the Bushthrax years and am glad I saw them twice. For me, Anthrax is over. I'm sure they will do fine without me.....LOL!

He expected John to work for free? What's next, re-issuing We've Come For You All with John edited out of the cover and booklet photos? Just dramatic bullshit, sick of it.