Dumb question for blakkheim

Goober

Noob
Dec 20, 2004
Hey man, Im just curious, why no guitar solos? Im not saying every band must have guitar solos, I personally dont care all THAT much for them, but what was the bands reason for not having any big guitar solos? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Yeah thats what i was thinking, it would take away from the feeling of the song

Wanderer said:
Without Solo there is melody,Without melody there is no emotion,Without emotion there is no depression,Without depression there is no katatonia...
Without Katatonia, Reece has a lot of money.

yeah, im basically talking about big ones, more than just 5 seconds long

i guess Anders doesn't find it necessary to put guitar solos in Katatonia songs.. he writes great leads which fully satisfy the songs and the listeners. He surely knows how to compose.. You can see his ability to write great guitar solos in Diabolical Masquarade and in one song(can't remember which one) there are some jazz-like chords played on a tremolo picking riff which fits perfectly. I had orgasm when i first realized those chords =) damn he is genius!!

but anyway, Daylight Dies - In The Silence is a great example for a melancholic solo.. I adore it =)

One day Blakkheim wants to put a little solo on a song... He likes it and puts another solo onto another song. Then there'll be more and more solos. Eventually, as their newest album comes out people only hear Blakkheim jacking off his guitar for 70 minutes and the horrible disease that makes your ears bleed, 'Dream Theaterrhia' has been diagnosed for poor Anders.
No solos IMO!

correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a pretty awesome solo in Distrust, the last song of Discouraged Ones
:)

Actually there are these kind of leads going on in every song that might almost be consider solos from my point of view. sure, there is no shredding going on, but come on, no one wants to hear this kind of emotion being ruined by some severe wankery. and that being said, I am a guitarist and really enjoy hearing guitar-wankery from time to time.

I also enjoy the odd bit of guitar-wankery. Though most of the time I feel it can really ruin a song, and that a solo should only be done when it fits perfectly and/or is something completely new or different.

Divatkreació said:
'Dream Theaterrhia' has been diagnosed for poor Anders.

:lol:

A solo here and there wouldn't be bad... :) I think Anders can make great solos if he really wants to.
As for Dream Theater, I think they have some good songs but that voice gets annoying sometimes.

Goober said:
Hey man, Im just curious, why no guitar solos? Im not saying every band must have guitar solos, I personally dont care all THAT much for them, but what was the bands reason for not having any big guitar solos? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

IN A INTERVIEW, I DID READ THAT BLACKHEIM SAID HE DIDNT WANT TI MAKE SOLOS AT THIS MOMENT, THAT HE WAS MORE INTO RIFFS.....RIGHT ANDERS? CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG.