Early folkish black metal

Nico

Onward!
Oct 21, 2003
War for Territory
I'm trying to figure out where this all started. From what I can tell, it must've been around 1993 with Satyricon and Ulver, though it could be said Bathory kinda pushed towards that sound a bit on BFD and moreso on Hammerheart. Does anyone know of anything prior to that, or between Bathory and the second wavers?

Hammerheart isn't Black Metal at all. It's possible Blood, Fire, Death was but that's really more Black Thrash with some Viking Themes. I wouldn't really classify it as Folk Black, etc.

Yeah, I know, but Bathory were certainly able to push the idea that mixing the styles was not only achievable, but aesthetically pleasing.

Bathory is certainly one of the most overt influences on the Folk Black style.

It kinda lacks the folky gayness later folk metal albums have, though.. where did the whole FLUTES! VIOLINS! ACCORDIONS! thingy start, that pretty much defines the modern "folk metal" sound?

edit - it being Blood Fire Death

Nick: very interesting thread and i've wondered about this many, many times myself. it's gonna be tough to get to the bottom of the issue because folk is so pervasive and broad a category, it's hard to determine exactly what's coming from where, etc.

madu said:
It kinda lacks the folky gayness later folk metal albums have, though.. where did the whole FLUTES! VIOLINS! ACCORDIONS! thingy start, that pretty much defines the modern "folk metal" sound?

Yeah, I'm not refering to the bombastic silly folk that seems to be the "modern" sound. I mean just black metal with folk passages and influences.

As far as Primordial and Nokturnal Mortum go, that didn't seem to be 'till later (95 or so). But Primordial did have a demo in 93 which was re-released (Dark Romanticism). I haven't heard this - is it folkish?

There were pretty overt nordic folk influences on almost all of the first and second generation Norse bands. The influence was especially notable in Enslaved and Burzum, but the melodies of DarkThrone, Immortal, Mayhem, Ildjarn and Gorgoroth were all informed to a greater or lesser degree by folk traditions. Ulver and Satyricon show some of these same characteristics precisely because they began their careers as clones of the first generation innovators. Only Emperor remained largely untouched by folk influences during this period, possibly because Emperor alone retained a large measure of continuity with the death metal and progressive speed metal of the previous generation.

The early Polish scene, particularly Graveland, Behemoth and Fullmoon moved folk from the realm of a major influence to a primary influence, and this tradition has come to predominate within East European black metal generally (see Drudkh, Temnozor and Nokturnal Mortum).

In Flames' Lunar Strain(came out in '94 I believe?) had a very strong folk influence and at this point the band sounded more black metalish, so perhaps it had some sort of effect on the whole folk metal idea.

Either way i doubt one band is solely responsible, it was probably developed simultaneously from a multitude of sources at around the same point in time.

Teh Grimarse said:
whoever deserves credit for starting folk-metal, it's probably not In Flaymz.

Gotta love the maturity of the GMD.

Whether or not you hate the band's newer stuff or all of their stuff has nothing to do with the fact that the band relied heavily on folk elements in their early years.

I also never said they started folk metal, merely postulated that could have had an influence somewhere in there. Learn to read and check your ignorance at the door. thanks.

madu said:

edit - it being Blood Fire Death

SKYCLAD. Not black metal, but truly a massive force in the formation of Folk-metal.

http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=5&a=ls&s=27

^^ That a (fairly incomplete) list - to go back to grass roots, you'd probably have to pinpoint some Thin Lizzy stuff as being the first to meld traditional folk-esque melodies with a rock style pretty close to heavy metal.

I do know that the Skyclad T I own bears the legend, "The Originators of Folk Metal since 1991". Of course, that doesn't make it so...

EDIT: There's also a fairly inconsequential Wiki folk metal entry too, for those interested...