Echo Layla 3G vs Focusrite Saffire Pro 40???

TheBlackSheep

Dec 30, 2008
New guy here!. My girlfriend wants to buy me an interface (Budget = 500$). I'm thinking between these two interfaces. What do you think? Any recommendation?

Edit: To record guitars, bass and drums.

I have the Layla. I think is really good but it only have 2 mic preamps.

Never even heard of the Lyla but I was eyeing up the Saffy 40 myself recently seems really good. Not sure how it compares sound wise with the Lyla but it has a decent amount of features and 8 pres and priced decently.

Hey man, since the Layla only has two preamps, I'd pass on it since you seem to be on a limited budget - my advice would be to go for a Focusrite Saffire 26 on ebay, cuz there are a bunch of B-stock ones there that come with a full manufacturer's warranty and are in your price range; it'll definitely have better preamps and probably better converters than the Saffire 40 (the high amount of features and low price of that unit makes me very nervous). Or, if you must buy new, I'd say Presonus Firestudio. Good luck!

Well, maybe I'm talking out of my ass, but the rumour was that the Pro 40 has some of the best conversion that Focusrite has made. Saying that, Echo conversion is kinda legendary in the budget market. I'd probably go with the Pro 40 for the extra preamps, if you need 'em.

Had my 3g's for about a month now, and I love it. After going from firewire devices to pci, I'll never go back. On the same computer I ran a profire2626 with 2 ada8000's hooked up to it for about a month and I hated it for all 30 days. After getting 2 3g's, tossing in the pci cars and hooking them up, I set it to 64 samples which gives me a reported latency of 2.3ms with not a single hiccup. I never have to worry about the firewire cable getting pulled out when the computers on and putting it into thermal meltdown...

They sound awsome for the price, and it gives you a lot of i/o options, just only two mic pre's. But mine are used at getting 32 channels in and out of my console. If you need more then two pre's your probably better off getting the focusrite.

my 2 cents...

I bought the layla. Good interface for the price. Any recommendation on a good console / preamp (6 - 8 channels)? (200$ - 500$)