Ecstatic Youth + Morningrise = DISCOVERY

Ecstatic Youth

...playing with fire
I recently borowed Morningrise from a friend of mine, and I must say it is pure gold. I am very impressed. I am yet to get deep into the songs, or the lyrics, but here's my thoughts on each song.

I don't like Advent as much as I thought I would, having heard only good things about it. But it's good none the less.

The Night and Silent Water is probably my fav(yes, even better than beloved Black Rose Immortal), but all that could change in time. This song is all around excellence. Genious.

Now for Nectar, an awesome song. Shit, this is a fucking stupendous one too. I really dig the heavy parts the most. At about 8:50 into the song, one of the best damn riffs I have ever heard starts up and it continues to the end of the song, and it is simply amazing. I fucking love it.

Black Rose Immortal. This song would be awesome to see live. Heavy parts great, soft parts great. All around excellent. An epic.

To Bid You Farewell is a great song, too. Nice and slow and gloomy in typical Opeth style. Can't say much else about this track, I am yet to examine this one as much as the others.

Keep in mind, I am only just getting into this album and am yet to fully experience each of these songs and the album as a whole, so I give you only an outer shell based blurb on the songs.

Cheers to Opeth and their excellence!

P.S.

Mortiis sucks!

Yay! That great to hear! I must say Morningrise is a very personal album for me, standing out from the Opeth pack. Not because its my favourite, no, that goes to Still Life. Its because when I first heard it I didn't like it, it sounded too muddled to me compared to the stuff I'd heard from Orchid. It took me about 3 months to even get into it, for some reason, through forcing myself to listen to it. I listened to it on and off for about 5 more months and wasn't even fully into it. Then one day, about 8 months after I got it, I put it on and it just suddenly hit me. Then I became obssessed with it and loved it.

Its a bit of a stupid story, but its weird because Morningrise is the only album I've ever had that has done this to me. I thought it was average for about 8 months of constant listening...and then for some odd reason I was suddenly struck by its brilliance......a unique album in every sense of the word.

i have all the songs on mp3, but never made it a cd, hmmm..

*me goes and looks for a recordable cd*

Yes, Morningrise is definately great, but as for atmosphere, you can't beat BWP.... But still, Morningrise was my first, although it didn't get me into Opeth.... I remember Black Rose Immortal was the first song by them I had ever heard....

Morningrise, together with Still Live is my absoute favorite. Those both have that beautiful dark atmosphere. And of all opeth, definately the acoustic parts are best on morningrise. Really love that album.

I somehow feel like Opeth made a wonderful start with something completely new on Orchid, and they perfected that style on Morningrise, then with MAYH they started doing something new, which they perfected on Still Life.

Originally posted by Static
Yay! That great to hear! I must say Morningrise is a very personal album for me, standing out from the Opeth pack. Not because its my favourite, no, that goes to Still Life. Its because when I first heard it I didn't like it, it sounded too muddled to me compared to the stuff I'd heard from Orchid. It took me about 3 months to even get into it, for some reason, through forcing myself to listen to it. I listened to it on and off for about 5 more months and wasn't even fully into it. Then one day, about 8 months after I got it, I put it on and it just suddenly hit me. Then I became obssessed with it and loved it.

Its a bit of a stupid story, but its weird because Morningrise is the only album I've ever had that has done this to me. I thought it was average for about 8 months of constant listening...and then for some odd reason I was suddenly struck by its brilliance......a unique album in every sense of the word.

That is EXACTLY what happened to me! :eek:
It took me like 8 months, then some late evening I listened to it with the booklet open and was struck by its pure brilliance. It's almost up there with Still Life for me now. Almost.:)

Hehe, it took me about 8 seconds to totally get into Morningrise, which was my first Opeth and also my first taste of any kind of death metal. But the real clincher was hearing the riff in Advent underneath the first vocals "It was all true..." that riff is so damn good. :headbang: And Morningrise is my favourite album ever. :worship: