Edge of Sanity (where do I start w/ them?)

Belligerent

Greekus Urungus
Mar 15, 2006
The Low Low, IL
One of those bands I've heard so much about but never checked out. I like some of Swano's other work w/ Nightingale and Demiurg and I'm wondering where to go next.

ALSO, is his solo effort "Moontower" worth picking up?

Unorthodox is my favourite, but I haven't really listened much to his other bands so I can't say if it is the best place to start or anything though.

Well, as you're just starting out, I'd say start with When All is Said. It has 2 songs off of each album on the first disc, and then the full Crimson and Crimson II albums on the second disc. All songs are remastered.

Then if you want to look into the band any further you can go by what you like from there.

And yes, Moontower is definitely worth picking up.

No Moontower is really daggy. Boring chug-chug riffs with some flowery keyboard lines over the top.

All of Edge of Sanity's stuff is good, apart from their first album. Unorthodox and Spectral Sorrows for the more old school style, Purgatory Afterglow for some really awesomely catchy melodic DM, and Crimson is an epic death-prog masterpiece. Crimson II was rather average I thought, although the last song 'Aftermath' is amazing.

Bloodbath are great also (duh)

Unorthodox
The Spectral Sorrows
Crimson
Purgatory Afterglow
Crimson 2
Infernal

Majority of Demiurg sounds written by Rogga even the new songs i've heard. I can tell the leads are dan's atleast and maybe a few riffs. I think Dan might have wrote the entire Wolves At The Gates. I have only heard 5 songs though so who knows.

yea, Moontower is cool. Nightingale, especially their later albums, are very much like a toned down version of this in the keyboard department, and with clean vocals. It's very much the bridge/transition between Nightingale and Edge of Sanity.

Edge of Sanity rule. Definitely get Crimson, and Purgatory Afterglow

Unorthodox was my first back in the day. 'Enigma' is such a badass song. I would go with that, Spectral Sorrows, and Crimson as well. Crimson II is pretty good so if you bought it, you're still okay.

Moontower is decent. I just listened to it for the first time in years a couple weeks ago. It stands the test of time.

Bloodbath is awesome.

I owned Crimson quite some time ago and from what I can remember it was absolutely awful.

edit: Dan Swano has got to be one of the most overrated people in metal.

Crimson was very much a product of the entire band, and although Dan had input (obviously), it was still a whole band effort. Crimson II on the other hand is clearly all Dan, and the cheesy prog rock influence is blatant throughout. Both, in my opinion, are fantastic! As is the rest of his work (that I have come across so far).

I fail to see how he is overated in anyway. His demographic should be far greater than what it is, for all of his projects.