Effects of downtuning...

"Eb - 9,11,18,26,34,44"

I wish someone sold these gauges as a set. That sounds about perfect for the top 6 strings in Eb of my 7 string. It'd be too expensive to custom order those sizes all the time...

Juststrings.com sells un-labeled D'Adarrio strings in bulk packs of 12. I order all my sets from them... it's like 42 bucks for a dozen custom sets, after shipping.

I use 13-56 in D standard because I pick really hard (in a sense of getting tone and not picking too sharp) and once my 16th's go above 220 bpm I need the string(s) to be steady, as if the drummer tightened his pedal springs ALL the way. tiiight. But I did find that bending or just smooth vibrato's were a bitch to get right without ripping the skin off your fingertips.

But I hate it when strings flop around when you're trying to pick them as it slows me down, they're also easier to go out of tune when picking too hard.
I also use the hard purple Tortex jazz picks so the pick doesn't bend too much to increase response time :)

Only thing Is now I have to play my guitar more to strengthen my fingers...what? play my guitar more? sure! :D

is anyone who is into thick strings also into thick picks ? I've been playing the green 1.5 mm green gator grips for years and I am in love with them. Only person that seems to agree with me is my guitar teacher who turned me onto them in the first place, every other guitar player I've showed them to has thought they are too thick. Opinions ?

I use 13-56 in D standard because I pick really hard (in a sense of getting tone and not picking too sharp) and once my 16th's go above 220 bpm I need the string(s) to be steady, as if the drummer tightened his pedal springs ALL the way. tiiight. But I did find that bending or just smooth vibrato's were a bitch to get right without ripping the skin off your fingertips.

But I hate it when strings flop around when you're trying to pick them as it slows me down, they're also easier to go out of tune when picking too hard.
I also use the hard purple Tortex jazz picks so the pick doesn't bend too much to increase response time :)

Only thing Is now I have to play my guitar more to strengthen my fingers...what? play my guitar more? sure! :D

13-56 in D is fucking ridiculous. Do you not play leads at all? Seriously. I see you're a necrophagist fan. Muhammad's top string in D is a 10.... yours is a 13. That's a huge difference. I don't understand you huge ass string guys. Bigger strings does not give you better tone, and playing excessively hard is a problem with your technique...

By the way, Rusty Cooley is one of the fastest shredders around, and his top 6 strings are tuned a half step down (Eb) and are a regular 9-42 set. You can still play fast with thinner strings. It's all about technique....

Juststrings.com sells un-labeled D'Adarrio strings in bulk packs of 12. I order all my sets from them... it's like 42 bucks for a dozen custom sets, after shipping.

The lowest gauge they go is .18 though. What about the smaller strings?

http://www.juststrings.com/nickelguitarbulkstrings.html

EDIT: Nevermind, found them... it says the smaller plain ones are steel though and the wound ones are nickle....?

[UEAK]Clowd;7787398 said:
Any recommendations for string size in drop B on a six string? And that doesn't include "tune up" because songs are already written and etc etc.

I use 12-56 Ernie Balls (not even slinky) for dropped B and they do the trick - point raised earlier with the G string affects me tho, pull-offs lack that clarity I get on my higher tuned axe. May give the GHS boomers a go which have a wound G....

Got back from rehearsals, my Les Paul Custom had a ernie ball 12-56 set tuned to standard C.. Way too loose, boomy and muddy through my Splawn Nitro. I`m starting to doubt that I get my LPC to sound tight and punchy enough with C tuning (btw I also use Bare Knuckle Painkillers).. hmm..
I now just put on a ghs 13-56 set with an unwound 026 G string.
Sounds and feels way better. Well, except for that g strings, feels weird. Maybe I`ll get used to it.
Time will tell how it`ll sound through my Nitro.
If this doesn`t work, I`ll buy a white Gibson V and tune it to C..
V´s are tighter than the LPC`s anyway.

Cheers!

The perfect set for Drop B for me would be a 6 string set of 10.5 (half size inbetween 10s and 11s) and replacing the low 48 with a 52 or 54 for the B string. But then I pretty much use very close to the same sizes the petrucci page recommends... 10's are about perfect for D standard, so for Db/C# 10.5 should feel the same, and looking at light 7 string sets, most come with a 52 or 54 for the low B.

Got back from rehearsals, my Les Paul Custom had a ernie ball 12-56 set tuned to standard C.. Way too loose, boomy and muddy through my Splawn Nitro. I`m starting to doubt that I get my LPC to sound tight and punchy enough with C tuning (btw I also use Bare Knuckle Painkillers).. hmm..
I now just put on a ghs 13-56 set with an unwound 026 G string.
Sounds and feels way better. Well, except for that g strings, feels weird. Maybe I`ll get used to it.
Time will tell how it`ll sound through my Nitro.
If this doesn`t work, I`ll buy a white Gibson V and tune it to C..
V´s are tighter than the LPC`s anyway.

Cheers!

11-49 or 11-50 or so is just right for C on a 25.5 guitar... so I'd think your set of 12's would be just right on a 24.75 LP. They sound boomy/muddy because thicker strings have less treble and more bass. You need to re-eq in a bunch of highs.... the nitro is kind of a dark and bassy amp to begin with also... How tight something sounds is from the playing and only the playing. There are a lot of guys who use pretty thin strings and play extremely tight...

By the way, guys, a lot of this depends on other factors. For example, people who like using tremolos are going to automatically want thinner strings because 1. having a trem and locking nut makes strings slightly harder to bend and 2. the trem will be too stiff to use easily if the string tension is too tight.

@ JoshuaLogan
I'm responding aggressively due to the following facts:

First of all, I'm a Necrophagist fan...not a clone.
If you're saying I should do what they do to sound good...that's totally ridiculous! All you did with that comment was inform me of what Gauge Muhammad uses...conclusion = pointless.

Secondly, assuming things doesn't make your point true, in fact it makes your chances of proving your point less successful than that your post actually does. "excessively hard" and "Bigger strings does not give you better tone" was not said anywhere in my post and seeing that you quoted my post, it makes you look stupid for saying that. conclusion = Just plain Stupid

Thirdly...Again with fame-name-dropping with Rusty Cooley. I pick perfectly on key, perfectly on time and perfectly fine with the gauge that I use. I never said I'm unable to play with thinner strings...(you're welcome to find that quote in my post) Thicker strings just suit the technique I use and compliments it.
Assuming my technique is wrong without having seen me play = pointless and just plain stupid.

My gauge of choice has caused an eye-brow lift or two in the past. I've explained why to a few guitarists that pick WAAY faster than I do (shredding tempo perfect at 230-240)...They tried it out...and went to the store that very day to buy that gauge.

Seeing that you like to assume, I'll assume that you thought I pick uncontrollably hard and I'm using thicker gauge strings like a 'home shopping product' as a quick and easy solution to solve my "problem"...If I'm wrong then that proves my point about assumption.

Pointless and just plain stupid.

If I'm right... lol then consider this post redundant. :Smug:

@ JoshuaLogan
I'm responding aggressively due to the following facts:

First of all, I'm a Necrophagist fan...not a clone.
If you're saying I should do what they do to sound good...that's totally ridiculous! All you did with that comment was inform me of what Gauge Muhammad uses...conclusion = pointless.

Secondly, assuming things doesn't make your point true, in fact it makes your chances of proving your point less successful than that your post actually does. "excessively hard" and "Bigger strings does not give you better tone" was not said anywhere in my post and seeing that you quoted my post, it makes you look stupid for saying that. conclusion = Just plain Stupid

Thirdly...Again with fame-name-dropping with Rusty Cooley. I pick perfectly on key, perfectly on time and perfectly fine with the gauge that I use. I never said I'm unable to play with thinner strings...(you're welcome to find that quote in my post) Thicker strings just suit the technique I use and compliments it.
Assuming my technique is wrong without having seen me play = pointless and just plain stupid.

My gauge of choice has caused an eye-brow lift or two in the past. I've explained why to a few guitarists that pick WAAY faster than I do (shredding tempo perfect at 230-240)...They tried it out...and went to the store that very day to buy that gauge.

Seeing that you like to assume, I'll assume that you thought I pick uncontrollably hard and I'm using thicker gauge strings like a 'home shopping product' as a quick and easy solution to solve my "problem"...If I'm wrong then that proves my point about assumption.

Pointless and just plain stupid.

If I'm right... lol then consider this post redundant. :Smug:

mmmkay then

11-49 or 11-50 or so is just right for C on a 25.5 guitar... so I'd think your set of 12's would be just right on a 24.75 LP. They sound boomy/muddy because thicker strings have less treble and more bass. You need to re-eq in a bunch of highs.... the nitro is kind of a dark and bassy amp to begin with also... How tight something sounds is from the playing and only the playing. There are a lot of guys who use pretty thin strings and play extremely tight...

Eh no sir, 12`s on a LPC tuned to C is way too loose..
Yes I def. need to re eq my amp for sure.

I'm at 13-56 right now in drop B and it's still a little loose. There must be a way to tune down without fret buzz and whatnot? My action is already pretty damn high.

:facepalm: I'm just gonna say I agree with Kazrog and Metaltastic about string gauges and I don't understand the gigantic string guys. :p

I don't really disagree, the only reason I use big ass strings is to avoid fret buzz when tuned down. That said though, I have never had an issue with being able to bend/etc.

I have noticed it is a lot easier to play faster on friend's guitars with lighter strings though.

[UEAK]Clowd;7791795 said:
I don't really disagree, the only reason I use big ass strings is to avoid fret buzz when tuned down. That said though, I have never had an issue with being able to bend/etc.

I have noticed it is a lot easier to play faster on friend's guitars with lighter strings though.

Hmm, bigger strings shouldn't be causing fret buzz. If anything tighter string tension usually helps avoid fret buzz. I'd think it'd be because the guitar had been setup for lighter strings and then when you put the heavier ones on the action was a bit lower (due to the strings themselves being bigger and closer to the frets), but if the action is already kinda high, it probably has to do with the relief of the neck and/or uneven fret levels.. might need to adjust the truss rod or get some frets leveled or something. The only thing I really think tuning low changes is that it can make intonation harder to get right...