Eggheadbangers unite

Now this is an interesting thread... As we can see, metalheads don't always confirm the cliché of being dumbheads. We do read! :D Ok, let's be serious.

I'm not going to enumerate all the stuff I'm reading and all the stuff I like...but Lars, Byron is a FANTASTIC choice. I've looked into his not-so-well known play "Manfred", which is a rather metaphysical and bleak rendition of the Faust theme (and Byron revered Goethe after all). And do you know the poem "Darkness" by Byron? Another excellent and utterly depressing masterpiece.

I don't read. End. hehehe... :eek:)

Well, I read a book a couple of years ago; "High Fidelity"
by Nick Hornby, and it really touched me. The way the
mainperson in the book is thinking is just like me... Freaky.
And yeah, no suprise this; it's about music >:eek:)

For the moment I've got enough reading in school. But I've read most of Jules Vernes books. Really interesting books.
I also read some fantasy (who doesn't) but I do not, as many may find strange, like Tolkien.
I rather read Terry Brooks or Andreas Roman (Bet most of you don't know who he is).

O yeah... Almost forgot Donald Duck :)
Learned reading from those magazines.

Originally posted by TheRealLazare
I see a lot of interesting views here. Do any of you write yourself as well? Feel free to post your own poems or lyrics... It would be nice to see the works of the metal environment - especially the Borknagar fans ;)

BTW; What do you think about Beat-literature? (Ginsberg, Bukowsky, Kesey, Burroughs and so on). I think literature from this era is amazing. "Run with the hunted" and "Naked Lunch" are classics! If you haven't read them, you should! They'll fuck up your mind o_O

I'll have to check out some of that stuff--I've heard enough about it, but have read none of it.

As far as lyrics, I write the lyrics for my band (which may or may not be saying much) I tend to have a difficult time staying totally serious when writing some lyrics, and at the end of the day I wind up using what I can for lyrics---at least for the first album's worth of material. I honestly haven't written a whole song's worth of lyrics since spring, 2000. I'll just be glad when this recording project is done and I can start on the next.

But---here's probably my favorite from the first album.

Sleeping the deepest slumber, dreaming the endless dream.
The darkness lasts a moment, conceals the mystery.
Pass through the sacred hallways no man is fit to see.
Illuminate the Heavens, whisper a prayer for me.

The veil for you was parted. Your thirst was finally gone.
The epitaph was carved into the cold, grey stone.
You gaze across the heavens, beyond the crystal sea
beside the holy mountain, beyond eternity.

To contemplate the glory beyond eternity.
To break free from this den of dark iniquity.
When you look from the mountain beyond the crystal sea,
illuminate the heavens, whisper a prayer for me.

I think metal and reading fits quite well together. Most bands do care about their lyrics, and quite some has a genuine intention to put out literature quality lyrics. A lot of metal fans are looking for further forms of expressions besides music, and literature is a prime choice, at least for me :)
I dont know anything about the beat era literature, but I'll check it out.
H.P Lovecraft, Louis Borges are great in short novels. For somewhat longer, some people might laugh, but I love Tolstoj's War and peace. Sure its not an afternoon reading and not a fast food for eyes, but those who dont get bored easily in the long intermissions will enjoy it a lot :D
Viktor Pelevin's Pepsi generation is a good contemporary book.
Some more will come later if you are interested....(and I find the time to post)
:)

Originally posted by Paul
I'm pretty much into Chinese history lately. There is several books i have read bout this topic, a good one is Sterling Seagrave's Soong dynasty, which is about the turbulent happenings of China's last century, from the decline of Ching dynasty to the 1980'. Practically its a histrory book, but through a familys life, and very entertaining, enjoyable reading, even if you are not interested in China :)
And I read a lot of others, maybe later... Gotta work
:(

Kudos! Chinese history is fascination stuff to me as well. I was a Politics minor in college (many moons ago), and my senior year took a class titled "Chinese Politics." It wound up being my favorite non-Journalism class ever. I'm not certain of the title, but you should look for a book titled "The Red Flower of China" or something like that. I'd have to go digging to find the book if that's not correct. It's all about the Cultural Revolution of 1960s China as seen through the eyes of a young girl. Superb stuff.

Originally posted by Blackspirit
I don't read. End. hehehe... :eek:)

Well, I read a book a couple of years ago; "High Fidelity"
by Nick Hornby, and it really touched me. The way the
mainperson in the book is thinking is just like me... Freaky.
And yeah, no suprise this; it's about music >:eek:)

Awesome book! Thankfully I read it before seeing the movie...not that I don't love the movie as well, but it loses something when not told through the humorous viewpoint of a British author.

Anyone want to read an interesting indie novel (i.e. trade paperback) about a young band from North Carolina trying to break it big by moving to Los Angeles should check out "Geniuses Of Crack." Funny, moving and all-too-true as well.

Originally posted by Paul
I think metal and reading fits quite well together. Most bands do care about their lyrics, and quite some has a genuine intention to put out literature quality lyrics. A lot of metal fans are looking for further forms of expressions besides music, and literature is a prime choice, at least for me :)

So true, so true. I've always referred to heavy metal in general as "mind music," and I've nearly always leaned toward the bands that base their songs on stories, history, and intelligent theory. For example, Iron Maiden was not simply about "sex, drugs & rock n' roll" and their music was more rewarding to me as a result. Or Virgin Steele. Sure they might not be your cup of tea, but their last 2 albums were based entirely on ancient Greek mythology. And finally, Nile comes to mind. I once read that the lead singer/guitarist, Karl, spent an entire year researching ancient Egyptian lore so as to have the most accurate lyrical content possible. Plus, they provide a detailed explanation of the lyrical content to each song in their liner notes, which is always a nice plus!

I do not read very much, but when I do, the books that I enjoy are mostly Tolkien, but also David Eddings, Terry Pratchett, Frans G Bengtsson, and probably some others too.

I'm not certain of the title, but you should look for a book titled "The Red Flower of China" or something like that. I'd have to go digging to find the book if that's not correct. It's all about the Cultural Revolution of 1960s China as seen through the eyes of a young girl. Superb stuff.

I read a book which reminds me of that mentioned above. It is called 'Wild Swans - Three daughter of China' by Jung Chang. It is about the 20th century China happenings from the perspective of a girl, well three girls, grandma, mother, and her (the author actually). After reading it, thought Orwell was not wrong with '84: exactly that happened in the Red China, although even worse. Another recommended reading even if you dont care about China. I didn when i read it....

Lutz should post here.

"I don't like books."
"Reading sucks."
"LotR is gay. Of course I haven't read it. I never will"
-Lutz

Have you read the books "The Adventures Of Lord Iffy Boatrace" and "The Missionary Position" of Bruce Dickinson?
What do you think of them?
Myself I enjoyed reading his first book... :)
The second one is IMO not as good as the first one.
I dunno if he ever published his third one...

Originally posted by TheRealLazare
BTW; What do you think about Beat-literature? (Ginsberg, Bukowsky, Kesey, Burroughs and so on). I think literature from this era is amazing. "Run with the hunted" and "Naked Lunch" are classics! If you haven't read them, you should! They'll fuck up your mind o_O

I haven't read any book from that era yet, but I do know a bit of the Ginsberg biography and one of his poem.

Whoever says black metallers are not intellectuals are total liars.
intellect.JPG