EMG 707 vs. 81-7 quick comparison clips

I'm pretty sure my LTD 607B has the EMG 707s in it, they have "EMG" written in gold on the front don't they?

If so, here is a quick clip of me testing out some of my equipment with it. I don't notice that same weird clipping/fret buzzing sound on mine.

Sound Clip

I'm pretty sure my LTD 607B has the EMG 707s in it, they have "EMG" written in gold on the front don't they?

If so, here is a quick clip of me testing out some of my equipment with it. I don't notice that same weird clipping/fret buzzing sound on mine.

Sound Clip

Mighty tone :kickass:

Which amp did you use?

Sound Clip

Your guitar has EMG 81-7s on it, stock.

Sounds fucking monstrous though (even through what sounds like Revalver). I'm still nursing my hard-on.

I think he must have the 707 since the EMG logo is gold. On EMGs 81-7 it's silver. That's how it is on the 6 string versions of these pickups so I assume it's true for the 7 string ones too. I know my 707 is gold.

I think he must have the 707 since the EMG logo is gold. On EMGs 81-7 it's silver. That's how it is on the 6 string versions of these pickups so I assume it's true for the 7 string ones too. I know my 707 is gold.

Yeah, I think the standard pickups on the 607B are 81-7s now, but I bought mine many many years ago when they first come out and I think they shipped with 707s at the time. I know going between the 607B and my newer EC-500 with the EMG81 in the bridge, the different is huge, guitar construction alone, the 707 model has a ton more grind to it, which I've come to be very fond of.

You really can't judge pickups from clips unless they were all made with the same guitar, though

And fuck the JB :D

Yeah, I dig the grind the 707 has too, something about it...but the 81-7 is cleaner in many regards, and more sterile.

~006

I've had both 81-7s and 707s in my guitars, and I very much prefer the tone of 707s as a bridge pickup. The 81-7 can be a cool neck pickup for getting a bright clean tone and glassy, Yngwie-style sweeps, but it's much quieter than the 707 and needs a boost to really shine.

My current 7 string (which is my favorite I've ever had) is the Schecter Jeff Loomis with dual 707s and I've never been happier.

What clearance do you guys commonly have between the 707 and the strings? This whole 'single-coil-esque' fret buzzing doesn't sit well with me, though I would prefer to keep the pickup if I can get rid of it. Might be a construction issue with the Hellraiser.

The Dimarzio DSonic wins. The 707 sounds thin in comparison.

In the OP's EMG 707 vs. 81-7 comparison I find the 707 to be fuller but it verges on being flabby. I prefer the 81-7 but the DSonic sounds damn good too. :loco:

DSonic is awesome. I use that guitar right in the 6505, no need of a tubescreamer, it sound awesome like that. got to like the passive pups though.

You really can't judge pickups from clips unless they were all made with the same guitar, though

And fuck the JB :D
Yeah you're right :) at least for rhythms. when soloing there's so much bass that the picking is nicely cutting trought. when mixing you can slice out the extra meat so its not a problem. we use that guitar for all the lead works. the sustain is huge.

Sorry for the off-topic. I FUKEN HAIT ACTIF PICKEUPS.

DSonic is awesome. I use that guitar right in the 6505, no need of a tubescreamer, it sound awesome like that. got to like the passive pups though.

Yeah you're right :) at least for rhythms. when soloing there's so much bass that the picking is nicely cutting trought. when mixing you can slice out the extra meat so its not a problem. we use that guitar for all the lead works. the sustain is huge.

Sorry for the off-topic. I FUKEN HAIT ACTIF PICKEUPS.

I've been feeling passives myself lately.

I'm rising above the active world.
I still have a bunch of EMGs though ahha.

Ermin, I've experimented with a variety of pickup heights, but I prefer the pickups to be about even with the plane level of the fretboard. It's what EMG recommends and it's what sounds the best IMO.

The "single coil" vibe that you're talking about is actually what I really like about these pickups. My favorite rhythm guitar tone is probably Soilwork on "A Predator's Portrait," which is EMG 85s which are essentially the same pickup as 707s. Maybe you just don't like EMGs?

There's no tone I've tried that makes me personally happier than EMG 85s / 707s into a 5150 II. It's the sound I always wanted, I've tried lots of other options, and I keep coming back to it as the mainstay. Original? No, but I never get sick of it and it's a more versatile setup than it's given credit for.

Perhaps you'd like Blackouts or Bareknuckles more? It really depends on what kind of sound you want.

Cheers Shane. That seems to be conflicting information to what I was given from EMG's support staff o_O

And naw, I love the 707s. That dense, somewhat loose and crushing sound is near perfect for me. I just don't understand the constant fret 'clacking' coming out so loudly.

The clips that Sysera posted don't have it.... 006s Hellraiser clips and my own Hellraiser do have it... why? I even set the guitar to within an inch of its life to eliminate that variable.

I'd take the downgrade to 81-7s or Blackouts just to get rid of that clicking, but I really wouldn't want to. I just want to make 100% sure that it's the pickup with the deficiency rather than the guitar, so I don't waste any more money

Do you per chance have any clips of your 707-loaded guitar?