EMG 707 vs. 81-7 quick comparison clips

You too? Fucking hell...

Could it be the Hellraiser's construction quality? Perhaps 707s in a diff guitar provide diff results? We need to seriously take a day out and narrow this crap down, Dan.

I hated the 707 in my old Hellraiser and 1527, FWIW. Very different construction on each of those axes. That said, I hated it because it was muddy and ridiculously low-middy, at the same time as having that weird top end thing going on.

I would mention that mine (from memory) sounds more like 006's than yours. 006 seems to have a hollow/ clicky attack with the single coil thing, where as yours seemed to still retain some grind with less of a single coilness about it, but with a more prominent click IIRC. A TS helps me get some grind back, but it still doesn't sound as I expect a 707 to, expecially comparing to Sysera's clip.

I have this coming week off work, Ermin.

Cool man. Me too more or less. Before I kick into the big 2-month session I got a week to chill out and mix so maybe we should work out what we should do to fix this shit... maybe try out some other axes with 707s?

I've had 81-7's and 707's in my 607 and 607B and if you like that low mid racket that Behemoth has on The Apostasy then try a 707 through a Dual Rec and a Boogie OS cab. You definitely won't get that sharp, focused Soilwork/Clayman type of sound but I would in no way call it loose. It sounds tight when you're standing in the room and it definitely records well. I thought that I had the 707 in my Mahogany 607B and the 81-7 in the maple 607 but after getting ready to pop 006's 707 into the maple guitar I realized that I'd already put a 707 in that guitar. Idiot. Next weekend I'll be able to play the 707 with the mahogany guitar so I'll see how that works. I'm guessing that the mahogany/707 combo may be a bit loose but we'll see.

Cool man. Me too more or less. Before I kick into the big 2-month session I got a week to chill out and mix so maybe we should work out what we should do to fix this shit... maybe try out some other axes with 707s?

Sounds like a plan, considering that we're both using the same model. Only problem would be finding a shop that stocks 7's with 707's in them. Appart from the Hellraiser, most shops would be stocking Ibanez with passives.

This Godless Endeavor.................enough said.

I've not heard anyone on here dislike that tone, so you can't really say that you dislike the tone of 707's.

I've not heard anyone on here dislike that tone, so you can't really say that you dislike the tone of 707's.

Tones like that are exactly the reason why it makes less sense for Ermins, 006's and my 707 to have that single coil, fucked attack sound.

Does everyone on here actually really like the tone on that album? I can't say I do. It's harsh in the top end and overly grainy, and I don't like the low mid woofiness it has on more technical riffs.

I agree there's too much woofiness/rumbliness, but I actually really like the grain on the top, I think of it more as sizzle, and it's got a great punch on the chords.

Tones like that are exactly the reason why it makes less sense for Ermins, 006's and my 707 to have that single coil, fucked attack sound.

YES! +1000. This has been running through my head for over 2 years now.

Metaltastic said:
I agree there's too much woofiness/rumbliness, but I actually really like the grain on the top, I think of it more as sizzle, and it's got a great punch on the chords.

Holy crap, there's actually a tone we (sort of) both like...

the 707 is NOT a loose pickup. it's still tighter than 90% of passive pickups. I personally think it's a better match to having a 707 in the neck, because it allows you to dial in how much treble you want for both (very convenient for someone who likes to flip to the neck pickup a lot for leads)...

I love the sound guys like Jeff Loomis and Rusty Cooley get out of the 707s.

I'm not really into the band much, but if you listen to All Shall Perish's latest album, it's all Rusty Cooley's guitar with 707s, and I think it sounds pretty damn good. Lots of tight rhythm stuff too...

Actually now that you mention it, there are a bunch of clips on youtube with Loomis playing his Hellraiser, and that clicking sound is all over them. Let me turn something up here....

[ame]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=SYzrNBoTf-c&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdQtSCjITw&feature=related[/ame]

The clicky sound you guys are talking about is a bit noticeable in the bridge and can be annoying depending on how you have things EQ'd, but it also helps make it perfect for the neck position, I think.... atleast for modern shred stuff

I duno Ermz, 006's clip is still the perfect example of it IMO. I have to say that mine is not quite as noticable as that, maybe because I dial in slightly darker tones than that, and is mostly on the B, and slightly on the E.
Also, in that Psalm of Lydia clip you really can't hear it alot. I wish mine was as hidden.