Emg 85 + Standard E = Good?

viva_360

Jun 3, 2004
www.facebook.com
Hi guys, wanted to know if the EMG 85 is good for standard E tuning? I have noticed only bands which use the EMG85 are which who down tune which they say is good for that setting .... but not sure if the EMG 85 cuts in Standard E

viva_360 said:
Hi guys, wanted to know if the EMG 85 is good for standard E tuning? I have noticed only bands which use the EMG85 are which who down tune which they say is good for that setting .... but not sure if the EMG 85 cuts in Standard E

What kind of guitar do you plan to install it in? What kind of wood is the body and neck made out of?

well then u dindt listen enough. take rusty cooley for an exemple, he has emg's and still plays heavy and shred into standard.
i have emg 81 and 85 in my jackson and the sound awesome for standard.
they sound also awesome on dropped d ( but that's just 1 string )

viva_360 said:
I thought EMG's were not affected by the wood.

*Warning: Long explaination ahead*

They're not, tone is affected by the relationship between the strings, bridge and body. An impedence mis-match between the body and the strings/bridge (like a Les Paul) will increase sustain, where a impedance match (or at least close, like the springs in a Floyd Rose) will result in more vibrational energy being absorbed by the body/bridge and thus less sustain.

Tone is affected in the same way, with different woods/bridges absorbing different vibrations from the strings.

eg,

If the guitar body has a natural resonance of 200Hz, more energy will be absorbed by the body at 200Hz and all of it's harmonics (multiples of 200Hz: 400, 800, 1000, 1200, 1400...) thus shaping the tone of the guitar.

What happens is passive magnetic pickup's (eg Seymour Duncan '59) pickup the strongest vibrations from the strings, if the body is absorbing some vibrations these will be very weak and not heard in the output of the pickups.

With active electro-magnetic pickups (eg EMG-85) the pickup itself needs less vibrational energy to pickup the vibrations, resulting in a very broad range of frequencies from almost any guitar.

*Long explaination finished*

Razorjack said:
*Warning: Long explaination ahead*

They're not, tone is affected by the relationship between the strings, bridge and body. An impedence mis-match between the body and the strings/bridge (like a Les Paul) will increase sustain, where a impedance match (or at least close, like the springs in a Floyd Rose) will result in more vibrational energy being absorbed by the body/bridge and thus less sustain.

Tone is affected in the same way, with different woods/bridges absorbing different vibrations from the strings.

eg,

If the guitar body has a natural resonance of 200Hz, more energy will be absorbed by the body at 200Hz and all of it's harmonics (multiples of 200Hz: 400, 800, 1000, 1200, 1400...) thus shaping the tone of the guitar.

What happens is passive magnetic pickup's (eg Seymour Duncan '59) pickup the strongest vibrations from the strings, if the body is absorbing some vibrations these will be very weak and not heard in the output of the pickups.

With active electro-magnetic pickups (eg EMG-85) the pickup itself needs less vibrational energy to pickup the vibrations, resulting in a very broad range of frequencies from almost any guitar.

*Long explaination finished*
^what he said.

thank you for the answer Razorjack! needed the info. I was at the Seymour Duncan forum and some people stated that EMGs vary from wood body type. But it is all cleared now.

viva_360 said:
thank you for the answer Razorjack! needed the info. I was at the Seymour Duncan forum and some people stated that EMGs vary from wood body type. But it is all cleared now.

Whilst I do agree with everything Razorjack said, wood type definitely affects the tone of EMG's. You can't honestly tell me that an 81 in alder will sound the same as an 81 in mahagony, can you? I've tried 81's and 85's in 3 different guitars, all with different body woods (basswood, alder, and mahagony, all strat style, HH, hardtaill guitars) And they definitely sound different from one another.

Hi DSS3 how was the tone of the EMG81 and EMG85 in your alder guitars? how did they both sound?

I just found out that my Jackson was an Alder not poplar..... I got it on 2003 so the issues when Fender bought Jackson ... they switched there productions to Japan and they used alder .....

viva_360 said:
Hi DSS3 how was the tone of the EMG81 and EMG85 in your alder guitars? how did they both sound?

I just found out that my Jackson was an Alder not poplar..... I got it on 2003 so the issues when Fender bought Jackson ... they switched there productions to Japan and they used alder .....

To be honest, it's been over a year since I had them, so I can't recall. My next guitar will have EMG's in it, though; as I'm set for passives. Schecter with a Custom/Jazz, RR-1 with a JB/JB, through an XXX with an SD-1 infront.

viva_360 said:
Your RR-1 is an Alder body i think? Hows the JB overall in that? I read from the Seymour Duncan Forum the JB has nearly the EQ curve of the 81 .....

I'm Deadskinslayer3 over there, and have the same avatar as here, BTW...

Yes, alder body, maple neck thru, ebony fretboard, OFR. With these woods, the JB should be insanely bright, but it really isn't. I actually run it with only a master volume, 3 way switch, and a mini toggle for splitting both buckers. It struck me as quite strange that it isn't as bright as I'd thought, but I'm not complaining! It's hard to tell an EQ curve...but I'd say the high mids and highs are definitely more prevalent than the low's and low mids, but the low's are still really tight. Not as tight as an EMG, but tight enough. The highs have a smooth quality to them that round out the sound, and give it a lead tone to die for.

I was thinking it would be you on the Seymour Duncan board. I am a regular viewer at the board but rarly post threads.

You have a JB with a tone knob that must be giving the pickup a loose chain, not a bad idea.

Are EMG's strictly for Tube amps?

viva_360 said:
I was thinking it would be you on the Seymour Duncan board. I am a regular viewer at the board but rarly post threads.

You have a JB with a tone knob that must be giving the pickup a loose chain, not a bad idea.

Are EMG's strictly for Tube amps?

I think I'm the 23rd highest poster on there :yuk:

I'm not sure what you mean about the tone knob. I've tried it with 250k, 500k, and a no load pot, and was happiest with the no load pot. I never touch that knob anyways, so I just disconnected it.

EMG's aren't strictly for tube amps, but they definitely sound better with them. SS amps are already somewhat clinical sounding, so EMG's through them are going to make things sound very sterile.