EMG shootout at long last! (ftg. lolzgreg Baron K2 re-amps and Mesa vs. Engl comparo)

Thanks! And now, results time:

A - 81TW
B - 89
C - 81

Safe to say the 89 was not a popular choice amongst you guys, and I admit it definitely has some aspects that I'm not crazy about either (I agree it sounds a bit wimpy on the attack, and also a bit "dirty"), but I also prefer its more relaxed upper-mids compared to the 81/81TW - and speaking of which, while I prefer the girth of the 81TW, I think Garret/Rogueleader said it best when he described it as more "stiff" feeling (it doesn't squish quite as nicely as the 81), which puts the 81 as the victor for me! (Chalk up another C>A>B vote :D)

However, I must admit that the aforementioned upper-mids/highs on the 81 are a bit tiring, so this marks my last hurrah with EMG's (at least for awhile) - time to enter the world of passives!

Thanks! And now, results time:

A - 81TW
B - 89
C - 81

Safe to say the 89 was not a popular choice amongst you guys, and I admit it definitely has some aspects that I'm not crazy about either (I agree it sounds a bit wimpy on the attack, and also a bit "dirty"), but I also prefer its more relaxed upper-mids compared to the 81/81TW - and speaking of which, while I prefer the girth of the 81TW, I think Garret/Rogueleader said it best when he described it as more "stiff" feeling (it doesn't squish quite as nicely as the 81), which puts the 81 as the victor for me! (Chalk up another C>A>B vote :D)

However, I must admit that the aforementioned upper-mids/highs on the 81 are a bit tiring, so this marks my last hurrah with EMG's (at least for awhile) - time to enter the world of passives!

I was quite surprised that I mixed up the 81tw and the 81, so I relistened to the stuff with that in mind and thought that only listen to the first few chords wasn't the smartest thing at the end...I think you picked them a bit different, cause the 81 has more bass at those at the beginning, which told me it may be the 81tw...
on the rest of the file the 81 high mid bite is more prominent than at the first few chugz...should have fired up the daw instead of listening to it in the media player ^^

anyway, cool test, thanks again!
makes me think that I got the right PUs with the right guitars at the moment :D

Marcus I like the krank the best of all the clips. The engl doesn't do it for me.

I must be totally out of the loop because I didn't even know you had a krank.

How much did you pay for it?

Thanks dudes! And yeah, the Krank was thanks to a pretty epic error on the part of MusiciansFriend (detailed here), but this is how it ended up :D

KrankDeal.jpg

Just did a very quick reamp with my setup....mic placement could be better but I had only 10 minutes :(

Guitars only: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1436721/Markus_guitars.mp3

Mix: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1436721/Markus_mix.mp3

Cool stuff dude, though too much gain IMO, and though I've never really mic'ed a T75 before, it sounds like the 57 was a bit further from the cap then I'd like (slightly muffled/bassy); really cool character to it though!

Mikaël-ange;10180378 said:

Cool man, I like it, was this the Rectifier? It sounds like it could use a bit more upper-mids (AKA treble pot) just to make the pitch a bit more defined (and maybe a bit less presence), but otherwise sounds great!

I gotta say, I kinda dig T75's, I wouldn't want them as my main tone, but I'd like to have a 1960B in my arsenal at some point down the line (ooh, or maybe an Uberkab :heh: )

57 was on axis pointing the center of the cone ;) ADK on axis with the junction. I experimented a little bit with the post processing to cut the fizzyness. Actually I'm a gainy guitars guy :)
Thanks to listen

Cool man, I like it, was this the Rectifier? It sounds like it could use a bit more upper-mids (AKA treble pot) just to make the pitch a bit more defined (and maybe a bit less presence), but otherwise sounds great!

I gotta say, I kinda dig T75's, I wouldn't want them as my main tone, but I'd like to have a 1960B in my arsenal at some point down the line (ooh, or maybe an Uberkab :heh: )
Yes, it's your old rectifier;)
Btw, this was a blend between v30 and t75:
v30 -Fredman style with one 57 and one m201 (4db lower)
t75 -one 57 (12db lower)

I have to admit, my treble was at 12 o'clock, and presence at 11 o'clock. Not the perfect seting for your playing;)