EMG shootout at long last! (ftg. lolzgreg Baron K2 re-amps and Mesa vs. Engl comparo)

57 was on axis pointing the center of the cone ;) ADK on axis with the junction. I experimented a little bit with the post processing to cut the fizzyness. Actually I'm a gainy guitars guy :)
Thanks to listen

Mikaël-ange;10182734 said:
Yes, it's your old rectifier;)
Btw, this was a blend between v30 and t75:
v30 -Fredman style with one 57 and one m201 (4db lower)
t75 -one 57 (12db lower)

I have to admit, my treble was at 12 o'clock, and presence at 11 o'clock. Not the perfect seting for your playing;)

Whoops, looks like I struck out on my guesses, oh well :lol: In my defense though, I'm not too experienced with T75's or multi-mic'ing! How do you like the 201, Mikael?

And yes, hilarious sig, I know the feeling :D

Next try with the EMG81. Thanks for the advice about the nasal sound, I like it a lot better now. What do you guys think?

EMG-81 next try

Better, but a bit distant sounding - is this that same impulse? Maybe try switching it up in that regard, I've found that makes the biggest difference when dicking around with ampsims (I really like Greg's ASEM impulse from this thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol at your sig Mikael :D I've to use it too....maybe it's our name

Or maybe the fact we don't use preset, programmed drum and ampsim:D
And we both love PT:lol:

Whoops, looks like I struck out on my guesses, oh well :lol: In my defense though, I'm not too experienced with T75's or multi-mic'ing! How do you like the 201, Mikael?

And yes, hilarious sig, I know the feeling :D

201 isn't a all around mic imo. Not the kind of mic you use alone on everything, but when it work; he is awesome.
For guitar, m201 is like a perfect add to a 57. If you pay attention to get correct phase relation, you get a kind of fat 57 sound.
Maybe I'm wrong but for me m201 sound is between a 57 and a md421.
I will never thanks enough Mark for mic choice advice he done here;)

Lasse rock the 201 too btw...

Didn't have time to listen to everything and compare seriously but just wanna say thanks to you Marcus for doing another awesome shootout !

This is the kind of thread(s ?) that makes the difference on this forum, and pleases the gear nerds we are.

By the way, i think now i can recognize your tone/style, regardless of which amp/signal chain it's been recorded/reamped through. In other words, there is a "Marcus Hedwig" tone/style IMO, as well as a Ola Englund tone/style, a Lasse Lammert tone/style (his amps shootouts sound ridiculously similar it's not even funny), etc ...

I remember you putting out that DIY e.p of yours like one or 2 years ago, is there anything new in the works ? I would guess so.

EDIT : that LTD of yours was beautiful !!!

Listening on my earbuds, can't say i like one cab over the user, they both sound different and great. I think the Engl is more my kind of tone, but the Mesa seems to work better in that mix.

By the way, when switching from the 81 to the 81TW (or the other way around), did you adjust amp settings ? If i don't, i end up getting an undergained/boomy/muddy/too dark tone using my 81 setup settings with my 81TW-loaded guitar. No 18V mod here by the way.

Damn, I had been wanting to hear this shootout for the longest!

A bit late to the party (had my computer stolen some time ago and just got a new one :p), but I'm actually glad to say my favorite turned out to be the 81TW.

I tried out the EMG 81, 85, 60, and 81TW in the bridge myself and came to the conclusion that the 81TW had a little from every aspect that I liked about each of those pickups.

Sorry for the necrobump, BTW.

Haha, yeah, I was wondering when you'd see this Hugo, glad it was helpful to you! And I liked the 81TW, but it just didn't feel as easy to play as the 81; again, "stiff" is really the best word for it IMO.

And Djab, didn't see your replies before, but thanks for the compliments dude! And yeah, been working on some new tunes with some buds in these parts that I'll be posting soon, and I didn't change any settings when going from pickup to pickup (didn't really feel the differences were big enough to warrant it).

Oh, yeah, I actually forgot to mention: Thanks for the shootout! :D

TBH, in this shootout, I'm torn between the 81 and 81TW after a few listens. I like the chunkiness of the 81TW for sure, but I think you're right in saying that it's missing a bit of the squishiness of the regular 81.

I think the added low-end/low-mids of the 81TW do take away a lot of the emphasis off the characteristic 81 upper mids... which can be both a good or a bad thing.

And yeah... the 89 definitely turned out 85-ish (duh!). I used to really love the 85 back in the day, but in the last days I had it in the bridge position of my guitar, I was really struggling to get the attack I wanted my tone to have. JMO.

I'm interested to hear your shootout with passives now. I love the tone I'm getting with the 81TW now, but I still want to experiment with different stuff. I've been kinda curious about trying some sort of hot-rodded PAF setup, since my favorite-sounding guitar tone was recorded using a Les Paul with stock pickups. :)

Ohh! And also... did you notice the 81TW being considerably lower output in humbucker mode compared to the regular 81? That was the first thing I noticed when I swapped out the 81 from my guitar.

And Djab, didn't see your replies before, but thanks for the compliments dude! And yeah, been working on some new tunes with some buds in these parts that I'll be posting soon, and I didn't change any settings when going from pickup to pickup (didn't really feel the differences were big enough to warrant it).

Cool thanks for the news ! Looking forward to hear some new Marcus H metal !