EMG's to Blackouts...

SDSM

SDSM
Jan 5, 2013
Australia
If I wanted to switch to the Phase 2 active Blackouts from my stock EMG 81-7's in my LTD SC-607B, would I need to rewire anything at all? Or is it simply plug and play?

I am debating to myself whether to get EMG 707's or the Blackouts...If Blackouts are as simple to install then I think I will be getting them ASAP.

If you already have setup for EMG, than just switch pickups (without reinstalling potentiometers etc.), pickup connectors are compatible, at least in case of AHB-1 :)
But if you want to replace all electronics, then blackouts will require soldering.

I'm sure there are easier and especially cheaper ways to get a worse tone.
I'd start with not changing the strings ever, that should pretty much get a similar change in clarity and definition as going from EMG to Blackouts, but there are a million more ways to get a shitty tone., I wouldn't spend that much money for it

Whoa, gotta say this is the only place I have been where I am seeing negative comments on Blackouts lol To me it's a toss up between EMG 707's and Phase 2 Blackouts.

I've never tried blackouts but I can't help but feel that people are exaggerating quite a bit.

They sound pretty good in this clip for example:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Blackouts A LOT better than EMGs, but then again, I don't really like the active sound in the first place, and Blackouts are more "real" sounding.

I switched to Blackouts from an 81 too, I have no complaints and see nothing wrong with the sound.

Just curious, why do you want to change them? I see that as a downgrade of pickups

I have the stock 81-7's in my Alder bodied guitar, and the sound is lacking in the low mid area imo. A few other LTD SC-607B have noted the same thing and I know that they have switched over to Blackouts or the 707 with better results.

Basically I am not happy with the tone I am getting and want something warmer. Right now I am torn between the 707 and Blackout, I wouldn't dare try the 18v thing because I have no experience with fooling around with the wiring, and if I messed something up the nearest guitar tech who would work on my guitar is a 6 hour drive away (No kidding, I live in a small town situated in the middle of outback Australia). So anything that deals with the easy connect system is my best bet for now.

I have the stock 81-7's in my Alder bodied guitar, and the sound is lacking in the low mid area imo. A few other LTD SC-607B have noted the same thing and I know that they have switched over to Blackouts or the 707 with better results.

Basically I am not happy with the tone I am getting and want something warmer. Right now I am torn between the 707 and Blackout, I wouldn't dare try the 18v thing because I have no experience with fooling around with the wiring, and if I messed something up the nearest guitar tech who would work on my guitar is a 6 hour drive away (No kidding, I live in a small town situated in the middle of outback Australia). So anything that deals with the easy connect system is my best bet for now.

If you are searching for something warmer maybe passive pickups would be the best choice. With 707 against blackouts I'd go for the blackouts, but for me the 81 are the best actives out there. There have been some comparisons for emg 81 vs blackouts for example this one http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...ut-bridge-vs-emg81-round-2-dtb-content-d.html

They don't sound too different, and with the blackouts you'll lose a little clarity on the chugs and everything else will sound almost the same. If you are not happy with your tone then perhaps it's just the way your guitar sounds. Seriously consider passive pickups for warm tones.

SDSM, you don`t need to rewire guitar, just get adapter like this:
148267d1271707259-video-emg-9v-vs-18v-mod-shootout-neu-1.jpg

EMG18vSockets.jpg

Or made one yourself.

Where do you live? I live in rural Australia so you would be welcome to try out my guitars. I've got two 7 strings - one with 81-7s at 18v and the other with 707s at 18v.

I bought my C7 Loomis used and it had blackouts in it. I thought it sounded nice and bitey, so I replaced the 81-7 in my Hellraiser with blackouts. All of a sudden, it sounded nowhere near as good! I put the 81-7s back in there, and then replaced the blackouts in my Loomis with 707s. Couldn't be happier. I'd definitely go with a 707 first - for me, blackouts almost sound like they've got TOO much gain.

Thanks everybody for the advice! I have decided to give the blackouts a shot after hearing a fellow LTD SC-607B user get a great sound from them. If by some chance I dont like them I know some people who would buy them from me and I will use that money to try out the 707's.

I will let you know how I feel about them when they arrive! And Dylan, I live in Broken Hill NSW.

I was hoping you'd say somewhere in the central west. I live in Gilgandra.

Broken Hill is an awesome town. I've been there a few times.