emocore

p e r k e l e

New Metal Member
Apr 19, 2004
i listened an emocore band called Funeral For A Friend and liked it quite a lot so i started to search some other bands in this genre. some people told me to try bands such as Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, etc but all of them are a little bit too soft for me. do you know any emocore bands in the vein of Funeral For A Friend? i want it to be emotional but aggressive at the same time!

I really like Funeral For A Friend, but I don't know any other bands like them. Hopefully LuminousAether will come along and be able to reccommend you some stuff.

FFAF are a bit medicore if you ask me, there's far to much hype around them here in the UK. Planes mistaken for stars, Poison the well, From autumn to ashes and Hopesfall are all examples of heavier emocore bands. Get some Skycamefalling as well if you can find any mp3's around as they are simply the best emo/metalcore around (they split up recently though).

I agree with sikth. I'm no expert on the genre whatsoever, but there seems to be tonnes of hype surrounding FFAF when they seem really mediocre to me. The whole hype surrounding emo as a whole is weird in my opinion though.

Probably worth checking out those other recommendations.

High On Maiden said:
I agree with sikth. I'm no expert on the genre whatsoever, but there seems to be tonnes of hype surrounding FFAF when they seem really mediocre to me. The whole hype surrounding emo as a whole is weird in my opinion though.

Probably worth checking out those other recommendations.

The kids love it, and they constitute a large portion of the cd buying masses. Emocore is the new "nu-metal", it may be a bit rubbish on the whole, but it has introduced a lot of new people to the metal scene (albeit the commercial side of things).

I'm no expert in the genre and I've never heard FFAF, but some of the emo-type bands that I like are Hopesfall, Poison the Well, and Boy Sets Fire. All three are fairly aggressive, and none of them have the cliched whiny vocals.

You should check out an earlier release from Remembering Never called "She looks so good in red". Although RM's newer stuff is a bit more metal/mosh core, the "She looks good" album was emo/metalcor-ish. Or you may like Curl up and die.

There is no such thing as emocore. It's redundant. Emo is emotional hardcore. I've never heard an emotional hardcore-core band before.

Since Luminous hasn't posted yet, I'll pitch out a few names, but you'd be better off listening to what he has to say.

I'd check out From Autumn To Ashes, Coheed and Cambria, Beloved, and Cave In, even though some of them are leaning more towards metal then hardcore.

Also, I'm really liking the new Dead Poetic CD, New Medicines. I was kinda "meh" towards their first, but that's something else you may want to check out.

ffanatic said:
There is no such thing as emocore. It's redundant. Emo is emotional hardcore. I've never heard an emotional hardcore-core band before.

Straight emo is neither hardcore nor metal! If you want an example of an emo band go listen to Dashboard confessional. Emocore is a cross between emo and hardcore metal. Plus Cave In have never been emocore, they used to be hardcore, now there prog rock.

sikth said:
Straight emo is neither hardcore nor metal! If you want an example of an emo band go listen to Dashboard confessional. Emocore is a cross between emo and hardcore metal. Plus Cave In have never been emocore, they used to be hardcore, now there prog rock.

Correct, except that true emo is probably a lot better than mainstream emo (I know of a few underground screamo-ish bands, that's it, though).

ffanatic said:
No, it is.

That's what the word was derived from, even though the modern players in said genre might exhibit these traits. Origin doesn't change.

I can't help it if you misunderstand something.

Yes, Beloved is a must. Luminous got me into this band, and they fucking rule.

These bands are also a must:

Orchid
Joshua Fit For Battle
Circle Takes The Square

I'm sure that I am forgetting some, but those should be a good start.

ffanatic said:
No, it is.

That's what the word was derived from, even though the modern players in said genre might exhibit these traits. Origin doesn't change.

Are you sure? I've never heard of any straight emo bands that are metal in the slightest, those that do contain elements of metal are all considered either scremo or emocore. I always thought of emo as being emotional indie/alternative style music.

i have heard poisen the well, and i dont really like this genre, but how about today is the day? not sure what they are but i think they are close

To the "emo is emotional hardcore" vs. "no it isn't" debate: Originally, the term referred to more emotional hardcore punk bands. The term has now become bastardized by the mainstream, just like punk and metal before it. This shouldn't really be too hard to understand.