Enslaved in the NY Times

outerone

Alchemy of the Sorcerer
Feb 9, 2006
San Francisco
As I picked up todays (November 8) NY Times newspaper I was supprised to see Enslaved on the cover of the Arts section. Its a good article and gives a brief overview of the bands past involvement with the black metal scene but distinguishes them away from that scene also. The band recently played in Pensylvania and are set to play NY tonite. Pretty cool to see such a good band get worldwide coverage! The article gives credit to the bands history and covers bits from most of the releases.

Funny quote from the article: " Extreme metal, which once seemed like a threat to Norways cultural heritage, is inevitably coming to be seen as part of it. How long before the government finances an ad campaign, inviting black-metal fans from around the world to come to the most evil country on earth."

That would be great a tour ride across Norway, stops along the way... Gaahls house, the spot where Euronomous was killed, visiting Varg in prison, drinking a beer with Fenris, hanging out at rehearsals for bands like Emperor and Satyricon, and top it off with sword and axe fight on top of a mountain with the members of Immortal.

Funny quote from the article: " Extreme metal, which once seemed like a threat to Norways cultural heritage, is inevitably coming to be seen as part of it. How long before the government finances an ad campaign, inviting black-metal fans from around the world to come to the most evil country on earth."

Hm, I wonder what cultural heritage they are speaking of, considering black metal is antichristian and christianity was originally anti-norwegian.

It's great to see one of my favorite bands getting such great praise in the most popular u.s. paper.:)

I think the trip sounds like a "trip" :loco:...hell, I'd go! Would be a blast! I'd love to meet Gaahl.

Anyway, great article! I was there at the Croc Rock, and it was weird seeing a band I practically idolize playing their asses off in front of 100 people (were there even that many?). They were flawless...absolutely perfect :headbang:

Grutle did say "Allentown" many times. I didn't see anything unusual about it...he was obviously just trying to put a personal touch on things. He seems like an awesome guy! And Cato's drumming was fucking KILLER!!!! :kickass:

I don't know if i like underground metal bands to get general media attention. I'm glad for the band as popularity is what they need to pay off all their hard work...but look at what happened with Cradle of Filth and many other bands. It's difficult not to sell out when they're waving big fat bank checks in yer face...

That was a nice little article. Nice to see such a positive story on such a great, yet virtually unknown to 99% of the population, band. I'll be seeing them again in L.A. :)

I don't know if i like underground metal bands to get general media attention. I'm glad for the band as popularity is what they need to pay off all their hard work...but look at what happened with Cradle of Filth and many other bands. It's difficult not to sell out when they're waving big fat bank checks in yer face...

silliest thing ive ever heard. comparing a shit band like cradle of filth to a band so astonishingly diverse in sound makes me anggggrrryyy.