the metal scene in ny

commandante

Zealot
Apr 23, 2002
Currently I am a highschool student in Istanbul. I am admitted to the Columbia University in NY for the next fall and I am very curious about the metal scene in NY. Is there anyone in this forum who can give me a small description of the scene and maybe some good tips about it?

There's a good metal scene a little further upstate. Most of the in-city bands are either indie rock or hardcore. Not that there's anything wrong with that...but if you want to be in a metal band, things might be a little more difficult.

If you're just talking about SEEING bands, have no fear...NYC gets more shows than any city in the world, probably. Tons of great stuff to see...and if it doesn't hit NYC, it will hit somewhere in Jersey or Poughkeepsie, NY perhaps...TONS of shows within an hour of Columbia.

Columbia is a great school...my girlfriend is enrolled there. I go to Vassar, just a little north of NYC. It's quite a cool place as well. Let me know if you have any more questions about metal/NYC...I'd be happy to fill you in!

actually I was both thinking of seeing bands and of playing in a band. I don't want to go into categorizations, but I can give you the names of the bands that like so you can figure out what kinds of metal ý like for yourself: Opeth, Carcass(the last three albums mostly), In Flames(bfr. R2R), Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, Metallica(bfr. Load). So I think I am both into melodic and agressive stuff, but not Hardcore.