Enslaved - Vertebrae

Arunas

#
Jun 6, 2005
So has anyone checked this out yet?
After just few spins it seems really solid. It's not very heavy, but kinda got more of this 'astro' feel. And I'd say it's really strong all way through, without any significantly weaker tracks.
Don't know if it will grow, but I think it's really worth checking out.

For me, it was a grower. A first for an Enslaved album.

The only song that really caught my attention on the first listen was Reflection, which at this point is still my favorite on the album. It is the heaviest song on the album, and thus the most reminiscent of Ruun and earlier works.

It wasn't until about the 4th or 5th listen that I was able to start fully appreciating everything the album offers. Ground really stands out as a strong song now. It's probably the best example of why this album is garnering a "Pink Floyd-like" reputation. It's got a great solo, and I particularly like the opening riff, as well as ending with the vocals "There's a sound made by BOILING BLOOD!" with the accompanying clean vocals of "Ground" and harsh vocals of Grutle's screams of "Above and below lay the levels". Great mesh of clean and black vocals. The intro song Clouds and The Watcher particularly stand out as well. I've been able to identify and enjoy parts within most if not all the songs now, actually.

This is definitely an album that you'll have to listen to and maybe even come back to in the future to really appreciate.

I've seen quite a bit of negative response to this album, almost as much as positive. For every person that says Vertebrae furthers the ideas and progression the band has taken since Isa, there is someone who mentions it is simply more of the same, and that the past 3 albums have been almost identical. Personally, I don't really agree with this view for one simple reason. Isa and Ruun were much heavier albums than Vertebrae, and on that point alone, they are certainly not on the same path. I've also seen mention that the band should drop the harsh vocals at this point. Songs like Ground and Reflection wouldn't be nearly as good if they were to do that.

Okay, I just heard a couple songs from this and have to say I'm really liking it. I'd pretty much given up on them after the shitfest that was Isa. So much so that I didn't ever bother to give Ruun a shot.

But this...I'm certaining diggin' this on first listen.

Funny, I still consider Isa the strongest of their past 3 albums, it must not be that popular on RC. Bounded By Allegiance and especially Return to Yggdrasil are great songs, Return to Yggdrasil probably being one of my favourite Enslaved songs period. I've had the privilege of seeing both played live twice as well, a great experience.

Is there anything in specific you guys really dislike about the album? I have always wondered if the hate it received was due to anything in specific about the album, or if their change in direction was too radical for some people.

As for me Isa is the least favourite of their last 3. It's even hard to tell why, but it lacks something.
Now the new one. It seems it's getting mixed opinions, which after listening is quite understandable. But I really like this softer sound - from one point of view it sounds more mature, and, more importantly, you can really feel there is a nice idea and concept underneath this recording.
And it is a grower.

Let's not mince words here, this is more of the same using the Isa blueprint and therefore guaranteeing a top spot on Terrorizer's end of year list

Pretty boring when you listen to this and then immediately find yourself yearning for Monumension, quite possibly the darkest sickest prog album ever!!