Enslaved

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Below the Lights: For me this is a good album that matures like a fine wine. I had put this away for a couple of months, only to start listening to it again yesterday, and I'm not afraid to admit - this is possibly one of the best of 2003.

I also own Eld (and with all honesty, I don't listen to it that much), but I guess it's about time I got Vikingligr Veldi.

Vikingligr Veldi is a truly excellent piece; get it.
I also own Hordanes Land (From the Emperor split), Frost and the Yggdrasil demo (From the split-digi with Satyricon). All are great, but I haven't gotten and probably wont get any later works (With the possible/probable exception of Eld) because I fear they're all drug-music.

That demo is fucking great.
drug music=music by drug-addicts which is about the greatness about drugs (maybe not literally) and sound all like drugs. And I don't like drugs.

I have Below the Lights - I think it's a very good album, definitely one of the best CDs released this year.

Actually since they kicked out Roy "I do lots of drugs" Kronheim they've dumped most of the drug stuff, and "Below the Lights" is much better than "Monumension" as a result. I read an interview where it said that the rest of the band wanted to go in a "darker, more negative" direction while Roy wanted to go all stoner. So fuck 'im. Enslaved shouldn't be about drugs. Drugs are bad, and "Vikingligr Veldi" is the best Enslaved by far. I see no reason that Micke should stay away from "Blodhemn" though because it's basically tokmangel. Yeah, it has an Abyss production but it sounds pretty good anyway.

Papa Josh said:
So would alcohol fall under your blanket statement, as you know it is a drug. Let's not be hypoctites here. :cool:
I personally don't consider alcohol or caffeine to be drugs. But for the sake of argument:

Illegal drugs suck.

In Sweden "droger" is the same word as "drugs" and that would include all drugs. Then there's "narkotika" which is the same word as "narcotics" which is basically illegal drugs. However, there's a catchy short form of "narkotika," "knark," which is what everyone uses, so Micke and me would really say "knark är dåligt" in Swedish and not "drugs are bad." Because alcohol and caffeine is what keeps me alive, and that can't be all bad... Uh...

Erik explained it pretty good, knark är dåligt. I'll get Eld, Below the Lights and Blodhemn if I find them cheap enough at a time when I happen to possess cash, then.

Dreamlord said:
Illegal drugs suck.
What does the legality have to do with it? Isn't there more of an issue with some drunk beating up his wife and kids than some beatnick wanting to smoke a joint at home whilst listening to Are you Experienced?

Re: thread - I listened to both, and I think I like Below the Lights more than Eld. I'm a sucker for those mellotrons.

JayKeeley said:
What does the legality have to do with it? Isn't there more of an issue with some drunk beating up his wife and kids than some beatnick wanting to smoke a joint at home whilst listening to Are you Experienced?
That is so easily turned around it's not even funny. Isn't it more of an issue with some idiot hopped up on PCP (or any NARCOTIC) and going the wrong way on a freeway and killing 7 people (which happened in Houston about 2-3 months ago) than some dude wanting to sit at home and drink a few beers and watch the game?

Dreamlord said:
That is so easily turned around it's not even funny. Isn't it more of an issue with some idiot hopped up on PCP (or any NARCOTIC) and going the wrong way on a freeway and killing 7 people (which happened in Houston about 2-3 months ago) than some dude wanting to sit at home and drink a few beers and watch the game?
Of course not, but your point was, if it's "illegal" then it must be bad. Smoking a joint and snorting crack/PCP are worlds apart, but BOTH still illegal. There have to be more parameters involved other than just looking at the local legal status of a particular substance. (The Netherlands seem to have no issues with their legal smoking/coffee bars whatsoever).

I do agree with the classing of illegal drugs, however, but I just think that weed in particular should have been made legal by now. In fact, it should never have been made illegal in the first place and the law for which is completely outdated.