Enslaved

I guess drugs influencing the lineup changes would explain the fact that while Below The Lights is just as inventive as Monumension (IMO of course), if not as experimental, it is more consistent...and a stronger album overall, one of the year's best.

As far as weed goes, I personally wouldn't have a problem with it being legal. I don't know if it would be good or bad for the country. But strong conservatives would fight the legality to the death.

Dreamlord said:
As far as weed goes, I personally wouldn't have a problem with it being legal. I don't know if it would be good or bad for the country.
Well, I guess it would end up being taxed along with alcohol and tobacco. So it would be financially as good for the country as the beer and ciggies. It'll probably remove that "gateway" drug status as well, just because you'd be able to buy it in designated areas as opposed to street dealers who sell crack and heroin too.

But strong conservatives would fight the legality to the death.
Yeah, while they drink their brandy, smoke their cigars, and send their kids to Sunday school

Yes, but if it readily available in designated areas, then it won't be "kewl" anymore, and kids/teenagers will want to move up in the world of drugs and try something else simply because it's illegal. Kids/teenagers always want to do what they are not suppose to do.

Dreamlord said:
Yes, but if it readily available in designated areas, then it won't be "kewl" anymore, and kids/teenagers will want to move up in the world of drugs and try something else simply because it's illegal. Kids/teenagers always want to do what they are not suppose to do.
Yeah, that's always going to happen either way. At that point, you just have to hope that children are raised liberally enough so it doesn't turn into an agenda of adolesence and rebellion, but rather simple experimentation. Most people I know tried drugs at college, and then left that world behind them upon graduation. Sheeyat, that's part of growing up IMO. Some of my best years were at college. :cool:

It's really easy when referring to weed. The main difference between alcohol and weed is that one is illegal (in most places). If weed was legal, people would/should have zero issue with people wanting to smoke it in their own homes or in coffee shops like those in Amsterdam. I don't see what the big deal is with that.

Re: crack, heroin, and all the other crap, then yes, these illegal drugs = bad.

Damn, I don't even smoke weed, and here I am defending it. Perhaps I'm playing devils advocate. \m/

Having never been to Amsterdam, I don't know much about these coffee shops. I assume they have designated seating for people that want to blaze up, right?

Like smoking, I would find smoking weed in public a nuisance. I wish Texas would pass that no-smoking in bars law like NY did. It's annoying going to a bar decently dressed and coming out smelling like an ashtray. If weed were to be made legal, what's to stop someone from lighting up in a bar or restaurant and, in turn, making other people smell the weed.

That's just like living in an apartment and having a noisy neighbor. Imposing unwanted things on others is just plain annoying.

Imposing a bullshit law on a vast majority that don't agree with it is more than annoying...

Weed should be legailised period, and that's coming from me both as a smoker and as someone who would like to see the govt. create revenue off of it instead of outlawing it and creating more instances in which law enforcement waste their time on such petty offenses.

And for the record, the commercials equating weed with terrorism, or better yet, the one with the stoners in the drive thru that peel out when they realize they have no money to pay for their food... c'mon give me a fucking break!!

Papa Josh said:
Imposing a bullshit law on a vast majority that don't agree with it is more than annoying...
I'm not sure what law you are referring to, but I'll assume it's in response to the "no-smoking in bars or restaurants" law. When you say "vast majority", are you saying a majority of Americans/Texans smoke cigarrettes? Or are you saying the a majority would not agree with the law?

Just trying to understand where you're coming from...

Dreamlord said:
Having never been to Amsterdam, I don't know much about these coffee shops. I assume they have designated seating for people that want to blaze up, right?
Damn, I responded to this and lost my LAN connection just as I hit submit. :ill: OK, take two.

Dream, in Amsterdam, you have designated bars or "coffee shops" where you can go in, legally buy weed, and sit & smoke all day long. People who go to these places will go specifically to smoke weed, otherwise all the other bars are just regular establishments like those you find in Houston/anywhere - no weed smoking there or anywhere else in Amsterdam (including the street). So just like any bar or restaurant, the coffee shops will have menus at your table where you can choose what kind of weed you want to smoke. Of course, they also sell beer, coffee, and regular beverages.

It's a complete cannabis culture (that's still very well controlled). And each coffee shop will have it's own theme. There's reggae, classic rock, and lots of ambient trance/techno, etc. You know the music scenes that are attached to da 'erb smoke.

Like smoking, I would find smoking weed in public a nuisance. I wish Texas would pass that no-smoking in bars law like NY did. It's annoying going to a bar decently dressed and coming out smelling like an ashtray. If weed were to be made legal, what's to stop someone from lighting up in a bar or restaurant and, in turn, making other people smell the weed.
Ugh, the worst part of going out to a bar is coming home smelling like an ashtray. However, I'll smoke a cigarrette with a few beers in a beer garden or something - call it a guilty pleasure. I wish they would change the law where you can smoke again if the bar has an outdoor area.

Likewise, if I have a few drinks at home, I might light up a ciggy on my front porch - never indoors. Of course, I don't have cigarrettes just lying around so I normally only light up if I'm in the company of someone who smokes regularly (and as long as they smoke Marlboro Lights). Gugs is a big smoker, for example.

Back on topic.

If you think Enslaved deserve some exposure, go vote for them at www.alarmweb.org. I think this is something like the Norwegian grammy's or something, and although Dimmu will probably win, it would be nice to have Enslaved give them a run for their money. :)

Right... Hope Dimmu Borgir win, that'd just be yet another testament to just how much pop music they actually are. I'm not voting.