EOR remix

Amazing album, but it's hard to hear a lot of the riffs on the first one. Plus, in Who Decides and Noumenon there is a lot of stuff in Andy's mix that is impossible to pick out in the original - subtlety can be fine, but KG didn't really let the 'ambience' do what it needed to do.

I know this has also been said, but you fucking rock, Andy.

Jeff

Andy Sneap said:
i listened to the album yesterday actually, some great stuff on there

Andy, I'm wondering, when it comes to just listening to some of the mixes you have done in a leisurely 'music fan' way... do you find yourself sidetracked nitpicking some things on the mix you may not be happy with as opposed to enjoying the music that's on there?

But back on track, yeah, great album. I love it because it sounds like it's such a frustrated and furious piece of work. The riffs are extreme... the solos are some of Jeff's shreddiest.

On that note, do any of you know how the intro to Seed Awakening sounds so... jackhammer? There's something about it that's not at all like any of their other C# stuff, just the dead notes in the very beginning sound so much more mechanical and I can't get things to sound like that.

And I must concur on the solos and riffs - the title track slays and I don't know if I can think of an intro that I like more than Who Decides.

Jeff

That album was so under-rated. I had a friend who said he couldn't listen to it cuz it sounded so bad. I looked at him in disbelief, I loved that album and played it to death like every other Nevermore CD before the remix. Yeah it sounded weird, kind of compressed sounding, but the songs kick ass. and after a few songs in my ears kind of adjusted and i didnt notice the production anymore.

After hearing Andy's remix though, there was one song where i was thinking, "I didn't know there were tom fills in this part of the song!?"

JBroll said:
On that note, do any of you know how the intro to Seed Awakening sounds so... jackhammer? There's something about it that's not at all like any of their other C# stuff, just the dead notes in the very beginning sound so much more mechanical and I can't get things to sound like that.

And I must concur on the solos and riffs - the title track slays and I don't know if I can think of an intro that I like more than Who Decides.

Jeff

C#? I thought it was all B-flat ( 7-sting down 1/2 step)? I know there was a Flying v on "Create The Infinite". i'm assumiung it's Eb but i never sat down with a guitar to figure it out.

@ Jbroll:
The beginning of Seeds Awakening sound like a "jumping venyl" to me...like you take the first palm mute of the intro-riff and loop it for several times before the main riff....

Yeah its definitly a looped sample.....About the tuning question im not sure how it was recorded but in some of the videos ive seen of loomis showing riffs he just drop d tunes his sevens.....its kinda wierd cause the low Bb is still the same, just the Eb is dropped...but you can get some neat fingerings this way...Cheers...and if im wrong correct me

EOR is a classic. I got my copy from Jim when the band came here last November. He was pretty adamant about stressing that this was the Sneap remix, too. I can see why. The title track is one of my favorite songs ever. Let's not even talk about the lead - simply amazing. Anyone notice that you hear that in the background during Headbanger's Ball every now and then?

Where She Wept, the lowest string is C#. Apart from that I don't know what anything else is, I just note the lowest string and use that as reference - I play it on my 7 (also one half step down) with the low D# down a whole step.

Jeff

EOR is the shit. Might be my fave nev album. That said, my least fave nev is probably Politics. However, 7 Tongues of God is one of my all time fave Nev tunes and as y'all know that's track1 of P.o.e.

I have a 12 disc changer in my hooptie, and its filled with all Nev. I just realized that I listen to Nevermore more than anything else. =) It is the absolute perfect combination for me.... I was a huge Sanctuary fan, too so I've always been into Warrel.

Loom'z tone, riffery, solo-ery, and writing-ery is world fucking class - period. I wish I was able to talk to him longer last time they came through here....

And oh yah... I still dont know how Andy was able to make the remix sound so damn good. comparing it to the original pressing is mind-blowing. Andy knows he's the shit. Ku Klux K-9 for the win...

I completely failed to notice that before, and I know I've seen that kung-fu avatar more times than I can count. Anyway...

Took a ride home with a friend who had, through means not typically approved of by many, gotten his hands on the POE remaster - it's not as drastic a difference as EOR but some stuff was brought out that I never knew was there, and everything seems so much more 'present' than before. Anyone else gotten it (mine's still in the mail, slow buggers)?

Jeff

hi there....
i think the same 'bout how huge the improvement in sound is, after andy put his hands (ears, mid, stomach or whatever) on it.
i also think, that it was too dull sounding etc in the first version.....but:

i'm starting to feel a little pitty for Kelly Gray, i know that album is definitely not the best out there, but there are certainly worse mixes.

can't understand, why everyone's acting like that cd is the worst-mixed ever.
what i mean is is: i wouldn't dare saying "i'm a way better engineer than Kelly", so i'm careful with totally talking bad 'bout his work.

what andy did to it is amazing!! but i can't imagine it was that good, if the recording was TOTAL crap...

again....i don't like the old version, too, but i'm careful with talking too bad 'bout kelly's mixes until my work is way better than his.

Kelly Gray's work fits a lot of different things a lot better. To put it simply, even at risk of flame, I think he just wasn't able to handle the band the way that album needed - he was great with Queensryche, but I just think that either he was trying to go for something completely different than what was needed or he was trying to apply the wrong treatment to the band, and because they're much different from the work he's known for there was an obvious discrepancy between what things should have sounded like and been treated like and what they did. I love his other stuff, but going from Queensryche and Dokken to Nevermore seems a lot like making Jane Goodall the new crocodile hunter.

Jeff

JBroll said:

Jeff
100% agree!!!

that's basically what i wanted to say ;)

but there are post like "he should never work in the music industry again " (not necessairily in this forum) i think he just doesn't deserve......at least most of us do not deliver that quality standard so high above his, that we can really dare posting stuff like that.
andy for ex. could, but i don't think he would, and he definitely does know more 'bout the circumstances than we do......
so we should just be careful with what we say.
that does not mean we shouldn't speak our opinion on a production, but keep it fair!!

so +10000 on Jeff's statement