Epic band(s) I want to share with you

abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
Dawn Of Solace

I love the way they made this video as well.
Creative, epic width and inspiring, maybe some of you dig it too :)

The band was fairly unknown to me until I discovered all the side-projects Kratos from God of War is in :lol:

as in

Black Sun Aeon

and

Before The Dawn (most popular out of these)

Unless you live in Finland I'd say these are fairly insider tips :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of this dude, but from these videos it appears he must think fairly highly of himself. I write all my own stuff too, do ALL the vocals, and can play all the instruments, but I'd feel like a 'tard "starring" in my own music videos.

The production is top notch though. I'd love some info especially on the guitar tone of that last clip.

I've never heard of this dude, but from these videos it appears he must think fairly highly of himself. I write all my own stuff too, do ALL the vocals, and can play all the instruments, but I'd feel like a 'tard "starring" in my own music videos.

The production is top notch though. I'd love some info especially on the guitar tone of that last clip.

...and he has his own record label

I know the most about the Black Sun Aeon album. I recorded and mixed it.
I play guitar in Before the Dawn and I record the albums. Aleksanteri Kuosa mixed that album.
Dawn of Solace is again recorded by me but mixed by Kuosa.

hmm... Guitar tone of the last clip is mostly 5150 (If I remember correctly, It's been a while) without a TS and it has been compressed to fuckery in the mixing stage. Aleksanteri likes to have a shitload of guitartracks. Re-amping the same DI tracks several times to get a good mix of different tones if he thinks it needs it. He doesen't believe in the traditional approaches =)

He is in love with fairly extreme compression.

Maybe if you guys could ask some specific questions so that I don't have to write everything I remember. That would take several days to type =)

I like the simplicity of these tracks, but I don't think I could listen to a whole album of this stuff. The vocals are a bit too trite for my tastes.

And "shitload" means how many ?
4 ? 8 ? 16 ?

And what about the bass ?

I don't know exactly but I think it is somewhere around 10 or so. It varys.

You are probably talking about the bass on Before the Dawn..? Again I can't be sure because I didn't mix it but I know Aleksanteri uses a 57, and a room-mic for bass amps and a distorted DI. Multiband compression seems to be in heavy use. Lars has a REALLY good tone in his POD and I always send it to the mixing sessions. And I might add that Lars is a very good bass player. He would sound good with just the DI even.

Edit: The synths on Black Sun Aeon were recorded with an old Roland movie synth. Can't remember the model. I ended up buying that thing from Tuomas after the session =)
Just a touch of verb and with the low end cut away.

What was the guitar chain, how many tracks and how where they panned in the mix? Any EQ post-work?

Sounds like a lot of guitar tracks, the drums and bass seem to swim in guitars...

Mayonese baritone A tuning ->TS7 ->Engl Powerball/Laboga mr. Hector -> Mesa oversized ->57 ->Tube-Tech MEC 1A

Four tracks: 100L Engl 100R Engl 80L Laboga 80R Laboga; I think =)
Except when the lead guitars jump in. There are at least 2 tracks of those.

If I remember correctly I did a fair bit of brightening in the mix.

Nothing unusual with the guitars =)