EQ ON RHYTHM GUITARS IN MIXDOWN

the basher

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2006
I usually find when mixing that i nearly always put a stereo Massenberg GML 8200 EQ across the rhythm guitars, if the sound has been recorded cleanly ie no strange fizz or bottom end boom, then the same type of frequencies tend to be boosted on most of my mixes. Frequency wise it's usually around
8-10 khz for the air 4-6 khz for the bite area, usually 1.5 khz for the in your face effect, 400hz for the note of the guitar, and around 70-100 hz to pick out the weight of the cab.The boost amount just depends on what has been recorded, just turn it till it sounds good. This method has worked on many albums i have worked on including Heartwork Carcass, Burn my eyes Machine Head, Chimaira self titled, Bullet for my valentine, The Poison.

Reactions: redbor
Yes it is, don't usually do forums, but just checking out the competition
( just kidding ) myself and Andy are good friends!

Hi Colin, i've been saving my sheckles for one of those Massenburg's... i remember you strapping it across the guitars on the Disincarnate album back at Amazon studios, now Parr Street Studio, in '93. cool to see you here. Nice run down on your rhythm guitar EQing.. how about HPF and LPF?

Still, that's pretty nice cause I just checked the guitars on my current mix (I took "Through the Ashes of Empire" as a reference for it) and those are almost the exact frequencies that I boosted (recorded a Mesa), but I cut the 500 area actually.

Thank you very much for the advise. Just tried it out myself and my guitar sound definitely improved! It's interesting to see that you boost around 400Hz 'cause generally people recommends cutting around 400hz for metal guitar I think. I have to low pass at around 6Khz to reduse fizz though. For me boosting at around 8-10khz definitely wouldn't be a good idea.

What kind of mic do you typically use for recording guitar and how do you place it?

I suck at equalizing guitars, or any instrument or voice for that matter, because I have no farkin' idea how you guys figure out what frequencies are in a sound. All I hear is the sound, and when I fiddle with the knobs, it becomes very tinny and scratchy, or the opposite like it's in a insolated box. Or super bassy, or the opposite; tinny. I've been trying to figure out the parametric equalizer but I needs some help, and a "Parametric Equalization for Dumbies" if it exists. Can anyone help out? I've already seen The EQ Primer website, and that stuff is too far along for me to understand. I need to know the absolute basics! It would really help me out, especially since I'm currently mixing and trying to master a lot of stuff. :(

Andy's father. Seriously though he worked with (from the top of my head) Machine Head, Fear Factory, Carcass, Slipknot, Sepultura, Napalm Death, Chimaira, Cradle of Filth, Anathema, Trivium, Bullet for my Valentine, Cannibal Corpse, Devil Driver, Funeral for a Friend, Coal Chamber, 3 Inches of Blood...

YOU DON't KNOW COLIN RICHARDSON?! YOU MUST ROT IN HELL! j/k :)

But yeah, he's recorded heaps of good soundings shit, Carcass, brutal thruth etc...

Oinkness said:
Am I supposed to know who Colin Richardson is? I feel left out. :p

quick list for Mr.RICHARDSON

Produced and/or Produced and Mixed (P or P/M)

Fightstar “Grand Unification” album (Top 30 Album UK) – Island P/M
Bullet For My Valentine “The Poison” album (Top 30 Album UK) – Sony P/M
Bullet For My Valentine “Mini Album” EP - Sony P/M
Devildriver “The Fury of Our Maker’s Hand” album - Roadrunner P/M
Funeral For A Friend “Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation” album (Top 20 Album UK) - Warner P/M
Funeral For A Friend “Four Ways To Scream Your Name” EP - East West P/M
InMe "Overgrown Eden" album (Top 20 Album UK) - MFN/Zomba P/M
Five Pointe 0 "Untitled" - Roadrunner P/M
Machine Head “The More Things Change” album - Roadrunner P/M
Machine Head “Burn My Eyes” album - Roadrunner P/M
Fear Factory “Demanufacture/Remanufacture” albums - Roadrunner P
Fear Factory “Soul of a New Machine” album - Roadrunner P/M
Mortal Kombat OST - 2 tracks - TVT (US Double Platinum) P/M
One Minute Silence “Buy Now, Saved Later” album - V2 P/M
Cyclefly "Crave" album - MCA/Universal P
Pulkas “Greed” album – Earache P/M
Carcass “Swansong” album - Earache/Columbia P/M
Carcass “Heartwork” album - Earache P/M
Carcass “Necroticism” album - Earache P/M
Carcass “Symphonies of Sickness” album – Earache P/M
The Exploited “Beat The Bastards” album - Music For Nations P/M
Napalm Death “Inside The Torn Apart” album - Earache P/M
Napalm Death “Diatribes” album - Earache P/M
Napalm Death “Utopia Banished” album - Earache P/M
Napalm Death “Mentally Murdered” EP – Earache P/M

Mixed

Bullet For My Valentine Forthcoming DVD - Sony
Trivium Forthcoming album - Roadrunner
Slipknot “9.0: Live” album (Top 20 Album USA) – Roadrunner
Roadrunner United album tracks – Roadrunner
Chimaira “Chimaira” album – Roadrunner
Slipknot “3 NIL” live track – Roadrunner
Slipknot “The Blister Exists” live track - Roadrunner
Slipknot “Disasterpieces” DVD – Roadrunner (USA Triple Platinum)
Cradle of Filth “Nymphetamine” album - Roadrunner ** “Nymphetamine” track Grammy Nomination 2005 in the “Best Metal Performance” category
Wednesday 13 “Transylvania 90210” album - Roadrunner
3 Inches of Blood “Advance and Vanquish” album - Roadrunner
God Forbid “Gone Forever” album - Century Media
Chimaira “The Dehumanizing Process” DVD - Roadrunner
Chimaira “The Impossibility of Reason” album - Roadrunner
Sepultura “Under A Pale Grey Sky” Live album - Roadrunner
Machine Head “Through the Ashes of Empires” - Roadrunner
Machine Head "Supercharger" - Roadrunner
Murderdolls Tracks – Roadrunner
Anathema “A Fine Day To Exit” - MFN/Zomba
Baby Chaos – “Safe Sex, Designer ***** & The Death of Rock 'n' Roll” album - East/West

Oinkness said:
Am I supposed to know who Colin Richardson is? I feel left out. :p

The big rumor about Colin around here is that he's not the kind of guy who'd have a forum/Web site...in fact I got the impression that he was more or less a tree-hugging anti-technology guy. Thought we'd never hear from him...Welcome to the Dark side, Colin!

Now, if we can just get Daniel Bergstrand here....

:kickass:

There are no set rules for where you boost or choose frequencies on any instrument, but nearly all the time i will add a bit of 70-100hz in there on rhythm guitars , you find that you need it if you EQ the piss out of the other areas of the guitar sound!