EQ ON RHYTHM GUITARS IN MIXDOWN

Oinkness said:
Wha? This forum is a holy place that should be traveled to once in a lifetime by all Muslims before they die? I think not.

But really, the EQ advice Colin said was pretty interesting. A heck of a lot shorter than what I've read BUT I think it will be most useful. The thing I don't really understand is how to tell where to cut off a frequency in order for another instrument or voice to come out more clearly in the mix. Like let's say the guitar and voice are competing for frequency area... Do you guys use a parametric equalizer?

I typically use Digital Performer's MW EQ, which has built in realtime FFT analysis graphs, along with my ears. I also try to generate tones that I know are going to sit well with the rest of the mix (at least generally) during re-amping, etc.

Wow, great to see Colin here. We have had some fairly high profile users on here recently! I love finding out what the people who are at the top of their game are doing, and I'm flattered about how readily they do it. I think its about time Colin and Andy compete as to who can give out the best drum samples :loco:

I could put my album up on the line and they could have a competition as to who can do the better production job on it.... free of charge for me of course... :heh:

Oinkness said:
Do you guys use a parametric equalizer?

That Massenburg gear is SO fucking high dollar! He (George Massenburg) actually invented Parametric eq, I believe. I have the blue collar console parametric eq.:lol: Just a Soundtracs console, with that "British EQ":lol: I cant remember ever tracking or mixing anything that I haven't eq'ed in some way! This thread is fucking priceless! I cant wait to hear more golden nuggets from Colin!:kickass:

The Massemberg EQ plug-ins are also, IMO, the best you can get in the software realm. By far the most transparent I've heard, and we had a massive A/B shootout at a local studio a while back.

I am a newb to this stuff so take it for what it is worth but last night I had just finished recording a test mix to mess with. I hadn't eq'd anything yet so I thought it was a perfect test for Colin's suggestions.

There are two tracks. One without the eq metrics that Colin refers to and the other one with. I just centered the ranges he was talking about with Waves 8 Band Parametric, and gained each of them by 4.0. Nothing else. Even with the super crappy 128k on Soundclick you can hear what he is talking about "making them jump out."

What do you think?

Audio Tests

That's pretty crazy. I can't imagine how great the result would be with further tweaking. Thanks for posting those up dude. I almost find it hard to believe that somebody would willingly boost 400Hz on anything, but damn.. those results speak for themselves!

Christ, this is insane. Need to try this out!

Colin, Chimaira's S/T album has one of the best rhythm guitar tones I have every heard - it's unreal. I think it's two 5150's, one scooped and one with the mids boosted, but would you mind sharing any other details on that one? (Tubescreamer, cab, mic?)

Wow Colin, is that really you?! This is surreal! I'll be honest and say that this is a really intense fanboy moment for me - I've loved your work from my teens and let me state this now to get my excitement out of the way. I can remember the minute my neighbour rang on my door and showed me the Mentally Murdered EP and we listened to it on my old gramophone in complete awe... that was in what, '89? And I can still very vividly remember the excitement I felt when I brought home the newly released "Soul of a new machine" and "Extreme conditions..." vinyls and HOW HUGE THOSE SOUNDED on my hifi compared to the majority of metal records at that time. Shit, man - welcome, what else can I say! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Sorry for the derail, had to let it out! ;)

Well Colin im going to have to follow this baglapping trend and say GODDAMN!!! I love your work The new Devil Driver is unfucking real not to mention your past work:worship:
Now that we have you here, show me thie way sir!

Hey nice to see you here Colin!!!!!
Great tips.
I got one question:
Can you confirm that Heartwork was 5150, because there are a lot of interviews on the net with the guitarrist that joined carcass after Amott left the band, saying that it was used as main amp a Marshall SLX JCM 900 and a little bit of 5150.
I always thought that that sound was 5150 and a "micro" marshall.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!!!!