EQ ON RHYTHM GUITARS IN MIXDOWN

Definately not a tree hugger ! ! Ask Andy Sneap. Protools all the way for me!
I work very similarly to Andy does that make him a tree hugger too ! !

Welcome Basher!

You are responsible for many of my favorite albums
thank you!

I recently did some demo stuff for Clown's new label, I was asking him about how you do things, he had nothing but good things to say. (but wouldn't part with any tips) heh

-Dave

I was talking about a guitar sound that had maybe been tracked a bit bland and needed digging out, to make it come alive,so yes these frequencies get boosted, if the guitar has been recorded quite piercing or with a boom on it, then sure cut offending areas, the Tom Lord Alge method works best just turn it till it sounds good, i suppose the art is having a complete vision where you want to go, its just learning by your mistakes.

the basher said:
I was talking about a guitar sound that had maybe been tracked a bit bland and needed digging out, to make it come alive,so yes these frequencies get boosted, if the guitar has been recorded quite piercing or with a boom on it, then sure cut offending areas, the Tom Lord Alge method works best just turn it till it sounds good, i suppose the art is having a complete vision where you want to go, its just learning by your mistakes.

Would you say that when you EQ, do you do it in order to make the guitars sound better, or is it more to make them cut through the other instruments?

I hope that's clear.

:worship:

bit of both, firstly to make the guitars sound exciting to you, and also if you'v got some rocking kick and snare samples EQ'd with the real drums and compression going you have got to bring the guitars and bass up to the same excitement level, if the guitars have been tracked well then it's just a touch up, but if someone has screwed them up (not myself) ! then it's just a case of playing around with EQ to make them sound exciting, first with themselves, and then to sit with the kick , snare overheads and bass.

the basher said:
I usually find when mixing that i nearly always put a stereo Massenberg GML 8200 EQ across the rhythm guitars, if the sound has been recorded cleanly ie no strange fizz or bottom end boom, then the same type of frequencies tend to be boosted on most of my mixes. Frequency wise it's usually around
8-10 khz for the air 4-6 khz for the bite area, usually 1.5 khz for the in your face effect, 400hz for the note of the guitar, and around 70-100 hz to pick out the weight of the cab.The boost amount just depends on what has been recorded, just turn it till it sounds good. This method has worked on many albums i have worked on including Heartwork Carcass, Burn my eyes Machine Head, Chimaira self titled, Bullet for my valentine, The Poison.

Thanks dude! You just made my day! :headbang:

Holy crap, Colin!! :worship:
Would you mind sharing some snare tips? EQ points, compression, and the general way you usually blend the natural drum with samples?
One of my favorite things about your mixes is the 3D sense of depth and space.

Thanks,

Matt Smith said:
Holy crap, Colin!! :worship:
Would you mind sharing some snare tips? EQ points, compression, and the general way you usually blend the natural drum with samples?
One of my favorite things about your mixes is the 3D sense of depth and space.

Thanks,

Dude, seriously, Colin, you need a forum to get us off Andy's back. :lol:

Colin, thanks! Awesome tip and it's killer to have you posting here!

Incidentally, I'm good friends with the Devildriver guys and they had nothing but great things to say about working with you. I've been a fan of your productions for years, particularly "Heartwork" and "The Fury..."

A rocking welcome! :kickass:

--TiMmY-- said:
quick list for Mr.RICHARDSON

Produced and/or Produced and Mixed (P or P/M)

Fightstar “Grand Unification” album (Top 30 Album UK) – Island P/M
Bullet For My Valentine “The Poison” album (Top 30 Album UK) – Sony P/M
Bullet For My Valentine “Mini Album” EP - Sony P/M
Devildriver “The Fury of Our Maker’s Hand” album - Roadrunner P/M
Funeral For A Friend “Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation” album (Top 20 Album UK) - Warner P/M
Funeral For A Friend “Four Ways To Scream Your Name” EP - East West P/M
InMe "Overgrown Eden" album (Top 20 Album UK) - MFN/Zomba P/M
Five Pointe 0 "Untitled" - Roadrunner P/M
Machine Head “The More Things Change” album - Roadrunner P/M
Machine Head “Burn My Eyes” album - Roadrunner P/M
Fear Factory “Demanufacture/Remanufacture” albums - Roadrunner P
Fear Factory “Soul of a New Machine” album - Roadrunner P/M
Mortal Kombat OST - 2 tracks - TVT (US Double Platinum) P/M
One Minute Silence “Buy Now, Saved Later” album - V2 P/M
Cyclefly "Crave" album - MCA/Universal P
Pulkas “Greed” album – Earache P/M
Carcass “Swansong” album - Earache/Columbia P/M
Carcass “Heartwork” album - Earache P/M
Carcass “Necroticism” album - Earache P/M
Carcass “Symphonies of Sickness” album – Earache P/M
The Exploited “Beat The Bastards” album - Music For Nations P/M
Napalm Death “Inside The Torn Apart” album - Earache P/M
Napalm Death “Diatribes” album - Earache P/M
Napalm Death “Utopia Banished” album - Earache P/M
Napalm Death “Mentally Murdered” EP – Earache P/M

Mixed

Bullet For My Valentine Forthcoming DVD - Sony
Trivium Forthcoming album - Roadrunner
Slipknot “9.0: Live” album (Top 20 Album USA) – Roadrunner
Roadrunner United album tracks – Roadrunner
Chimaira “Chimaira” album – Roadrunner
Slipknot “3 NIL” live track – Roadrunner
Slipknot “The Blister Exists” live track - Roadrunner
Slipknot “Disasterpieces” DVD – Roadrunner (USA Triple Platinum)
Cradle of Filth “Nymphetamine” album - Roadrunner ** “Nymphetamine” track Grammy Nomination 2005 in the “Best Metal Performance” category
Wednesday 13 “Transylvania 90210” album - Roadrunner
3 Inches of Blood “Advance and Vanquish” album - Roadrunner
God Forbid “Gone Forever” album - Century Media
Chimaira “The Dehumanizing Process” DVD - Roadrunner
Chimaira “The Impossibility of Reason” album - Roadrunner
Sepultura “Under A Pale Grey Sky” Live album - Roadrunner
Machine Head “Through the Ashes of Empires” - Roadrunner
Machine Head "Supercharger" - Roadrunner
Murderdolls Tracks – Roadrunner
Anathema “A Fine Day To Exit” - MFN/Zomba
Baby Chaos – “Safe Sex, Designer ***** & The Death of Rock 'n' Roll” album - East/West
You forgot "Cannibal Corpse" "Bloodthirst":heh:

KeithRT99 said:
i'm shocked and awe'd in disbelief. Andy sneap, rickard bengtsson, James murphy, and now colin richardson? this forum is the mecca for metal production. All we need now is fredrik nordstrom.
Wha? This forum is a holy place that should be traveled to once in a lifetime by all Muslims before they die? I think not.

But really, the EQ advice Colin said was pretty interesting. A heck of a lot shorter than what I've read BUT I think it will be most useful. The thing I don't really understand is how to tell where to cut off a frequency in order for another instrument or voice to come out more clearly in the mix. Like let's say the guitar and voice are competing for frequency area... Do you guys use a parametric equalizer?