EQ ON RHYTHM GUITARS IN MIXDOWN

Colin Richardson...

Holy Fuck! That's all I have to say. I'm going to steal this, just so you know. Actually, I am not going to sleep for weeks now because I'll be clicking the refresh button constantly waiting for more things to steal. Post more!

Jeff

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
I remember reading somewhere that you used snare samples to send to the reverb only, is that true ?
andy wallace does this almost all the time

he also mixes in "ambience" as he calls it, yet he refuses to fully reveal what that means. in an interview he said its something similair to mixing in other sounds that weren't originally in the recording when he recieved it to mix...

A ran these suggestions over an old guitar track that was poorly tracked. I mean awfully tracked. It still gave me some good spots to clean up and define it. Can't wait till I can try it on some properly tracked stuff. Here's an mp3 of an A/B back and forth between the original and then with the EQ applied. Be warned, the guitar sounds awful! :puke:

Guitar EQ Test

I usually find when mixing that i nearly always put a stereo Massenberg GML 8200 EQ across the rhythm guitars, if the sound has been recorded cleanly ie no strange fizz or bottom end boom, then the same type of frequencies tend to be boosted on most of my mixes. Frequency wise it's usually around
8-10 khz for the air 4-6 khz for the bite area, usually 1.5 khz for the in your face effect, 400hz for the note of the guitar, and around 70-100 hz to pick out the weight of the cab.The boost amount just depends on what has been recorded, just turn it till it sounds good. This method has worked on many albums i have worked on including Heartwork Carcass, Burn my eyes Machine Head, Chimaira self titled, Bullet for my valentine, The Poison.
what Q's do you seem to end up with most of the time...

i always loved the guitars on the albums that were produced/mixed by colin and now we have tips from the master!!! awesome!!! :headbang:

Personally, my favorite albums that Colin has done are Heartwork and one that people don't usually mention, the Burn The Priest remix. I love that album because Steve Austin produced the original, and he is a complete analog nut (tons and tons of modded, extremely warm analog gear). Also, the guitars are definitely clipping from the amps being recorded so loud (making the mics clip), it just sounds so dirty. To have that kind of raw production, and a super-heavy, extremely clear mix by Colin...I just think it sounds truly awesome.

Personally, my favorite albums that Colin has done are Heartwork and one that people don't usually mention, the Burn The Priest remix. I love that album because Steve Austin produced the original, and he is a complete analog nut (tons and tons of modded, extremely warm analog gear). Also, the guitars are definitely clipping from the amps being recorded so loud (making the mics clip), it just sounds so dirty. To have that kind of raw production, and a super-heavy, extremely clear mix by Colin...I just think it sounds truly awesome.

Couldnt agree more:headbang:
And man i wish Dave Otero would give out a little more info! i fucking love what he did for Cephalic Carnage's Anomalies:headbang: The way he mixed the Bass with the guitars, they are tuned down to A and it just sounds so damn angry LOVE IT!!! not to mention how natural the drums sound:headbang: and its not over polished, its just one of my favorite productions. And im sure it does help to work with musicians like that. basicaly i would almost amputate an apendage to know exactly how you achieved the guitar and bass tones on that album.