Eric Johnson

schenkadere

Obey my dog!
Apr 24, 2005
NY
www.soundclick.com
Ok...I'm sure we all agree he's a great player...tone chaser, inventive, unique and recognizable...but what does everyone feel about his releases?

I, for one, am a huge fan of his playing, but not so much of his albums. Ah Via Musicom is about all I can get through.

When I first heard "Tones", I was in awe of his playing abilities. Ah Via was the peak for him, IMHO. I bought Venus Isle, and it did NOTHING for me. Complete ZERO... I'm a sucker for the trio format, and he had an airtight band.

Great player, average vocalist, early live shows were a sight to behold with him dancing on a gazillion stomp boxes/amp switchers. Other than seeing him with G3, I only saw him once at a smaller club in Chicago during the Ah Via Musicon tour, and it was one of the best shows I've seen.

Have you purchased the ACL DVD? Good stuff on there if your a fan...

When I first heard "Tones", I was in awe of his playing abilities. Ah Via was the peak for him, IMHO. I bought Venus Isle, and it did NOTHING for me. Complete ZERO... I'm a sucker for the trio format, and he had an airtight band.

Great player, average vocalist, early live shows were a sight to behold with him dancing on a gazillion stomp boxes/amp switchers. Other than seeing him with G3, I only saw him once at a smaller club in Chicago during the Ah Via Musicon tour, and it was one of the best shows I've seen.

Have you purchased the ACL DVD? Good stuff on there if your a fan...

Tones is my favorite, with Ah Via a close second. I actually really like Venus Isle a lot too. After that, the material started to get a bit stagnant, and although I don't listen to nearly as much as the first 3 albums, it does get better in a live setting.

ACL DVD is fucking great. Wish I could have seen him back then.

Eric Johnson is easily in my top 5, but I don't think any of his albums would be in my top 10. Incredible guitar player, flat-out amazing, but his songs (for me at least) range from god-awful to pretty good, nothing stellar.

I do reccomend the first Electromagnets album (his fusion band from the 70's)...it was released a few years ago on cd and I enjoy it quite a bit.

Eric Johnson is easily in my top 5, but I don't think any of his albums would be in my top 10. Incredible guitar player, flat-out amazing, but his songs (for me at least) range from god-awful to pretty good, nothing stellar.

I do reccomend the first Electromagnets album (his fusion band from the 70's)...it was released a few years ago on cd and I enjoy it quite a bit.

Check out the solo he did for Christopher Cross on Minstrel Gigilo(sp?)...amazing!

Venus Isle has some nice guitar moments, but as an album it's awful...one of my biggest musical disappointments ever!

I like the Austin City Limits he did before the Michael Jackson uniform one...that's when I discovered him...must have been about '85.

He needs a good dose of shut up and play your guitar!