Erik needs to hear The Bastard now!

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Bast_cover.gif

Seriously, I was listening to The Bastard all of last week and I will bet any money that you would love it to death. A 3 act tale with all vocals, all metal styles (black, heavy, medieval/folk), and the lyrics are outstanding*. The entire story revolves around an old forest folk story with even a hint of Tolkien in regards to the forest uprooting itself and taking revenge...

[font=AGaramond, AGaramond Bold, AGaramond BoldItalic, AGaramond Italic]The forest lends its life to me
And loyal to her oaken creed
On her ethereal wind I rove
Up above the race I loathe[/font][font=AGaramond, AGaramond Bold, AGaramond BoldItalic, AGaramond Italic]

[/font][font=AGaramond, AGaramond Bold, AGaramond BoldItalic, AGaramond Italic]My roots are flesh and blood
But supple as the soil they suck
A bastard sapling When winter
[/font][font=AGaramond, AGaramond Bold, AGaramond BoldItalic, AGaramond Italic]calls me down And brings me life[/font]

or,

[font=AGaramond, AGaramond Bold, AGaramond BoldItalic, AGaramond Italic]March ye trolls of wood and stone
March for now the way is shown [/font]

[font=AGaramond, AGaramond Bold, AGaramond BoldItalic, AGaramond Italic]He who sits upon the throne
Is not a man but of our own
This road he built will show the way
To find the mortals we must slay [/font]

[font=AGaramond, AGaramond Bold, AGaramond BoldItalic, AGaramond Italic]He who sits upon the throne
Is not a man but of our own
He who sits upon the throne
Is made of wood, wind and stone[/font]

I need to review this ASAP - it's *mostly* a mixture of SOLSTICE's New Dark Age and BRUCE DICKINSON's Chemical Wedding, with dark metal/BM influences, especially with it being interspersed with acoustic medleys & blast beats. (John Cobbet is a huge black metal and AGALLOCH fan).

The August Engine is also a phenomenal album (as I have said for months now) but The Bastard is different and has a 99.745% chance of it being something you'll want to devour.

I'll put a guarantee on you liking it.

Does BWD listen to these dudes yet? I would suspect he would highly enjoy them.

I love the outro of this album, and the whole thing is really growing on me now. Much less immediate than The August Engine. Plus the artwork reminds me of Albrecht Dürer, THE GREATEST ARTIST EVAR.

durer.jpg

Erik said:
Well I downloaded the three songs from it that are on the homepage. Not bad, will have to give it more listens.
As cheesy as this sounds, it really starts to shine when you listen to the entire opus (all three consecutive acts). As NAD said, the artwork/packaging is really nice too so burning you a CD-R would defeat some of its purpose.

treeattack.gif

NAD said:
I love the outro of this album, and the whole thing is really growing on me now. Much less immediate than The August Engine.
There are MANY more subtleties on The Bastard. For example, notice during the opening song where the wood dragon has concurrent dual vocals (clean female and underlying harsh male). This of course represents the duality of the beast which becomes apparent during the betrayal....

Okay listened to the Bastard twice today, there is no question that it frickin' rules, and I didn't really like it the first few times I heard it. Also I finally realized what a bro of mine said when I first played him The August Engine: the drummer really leads this band. He doesn't do anything really fancy, but he's VERY solid, and really does provide the full structure to this band, all the other instruments just feed off what he lays down.

Hammers of Misfortune is starting to become one of my favorite bands. :kickass:

EDIT: Think I could squeeze the word REALLY in there one more time? :dopey:

NAD said:
Okay listened to the Bastard twice today, there is no question that it frickin' rules, and I didn't really like it the first few times I heard it.
You said the same thing about The Mantle once. :loco:

Also I finally realized what a bro of mine said when I first played him The August Engine: the drummer really leads this band. He doesn't do anything really fancy, but he's VERY solid, and really does provide the full structure to this band, all the other instruments just feed off what he lays down.
Yeah, he is a bit like Bill Ward.

Hammers of Misfortune is starting to become one of my favorite bands. :kickass:
You should track down a copy of their Unholy Cadaver EP. It is like a warped out doom-fest.

EDIT: Think I could squeeze the word REALLY in there one more time? :dopey:
Not really sure. :loco:

By the way, you might want to check out Solstice's New Dark Age ('98). They're a doom/heavy metal/pagan band from the UK, totally influenced Scalzi & Cobbet in both sound and style. They have a song called Hammers of Damnation...

JayKeeley said:
You said the same thing about The Mantle once. :loco:
Aye. I've been known to be foolish in my day. :loco:
You should track down a copy of their Unholy Cadaver EP. It is like a warped out doom-fest.
I didn't know they had an EP too! SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!
By the way, you might want to check out Solstice's New Dark Age ('98). They're a doom/heavy metal/pagan band from the UK, totally influenced Scalzi & Cobbet in both sound and style. They have a song called Hammers of Damnation...
Sounds good to me!

BWD, dude, post haste man, you would LOVE this shit. If you want a CD-R of The August Engine let me know, I didn't send that Supertramp CD yet.

For fuck's sake listen to it. You won't be disappointed.

My prediction: you'll have jerked off twice by the end of track 4. I had chills the first time I heard it, about 2 minutes in. That rarely happens with music to me anymore, even the really great stuff takes a little time to adjust to it.

Black Winter Day said:
Yes sir! Then I expect a full report on the masterful opus I recorded for you on the first track of the CD-R! :)
Oh trust me, that is in the works! Would you mind if I posted a .wav file of it so everyone else can hear it? :tickled:

4th Season is probably the best, I should buy that since it was released... what, today?