ESP Horizon DIs for you (Killswitch content)

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I've been tracking guitars for the 2nd Untruth EP this week, and the band decided to leave the tracking guitar here over night. Thought I'd capitalize on the opportunity, as the guitar itself is very similar to my coming S7 custom.

I didn't have much time, but I used the day's strings (about 10-12 hours old), learned some quick riffs and played into our regular recording chain. Wished I could do more of the song, but time didn't allow.

Whole chain is as follows:

Rusty Ermz > Tortex TIII .88mm > ESP Horizon Brett Garsed Signature with XL frets & Alt-8 pickup > Countryman Type 85 > Millennia Origin > RME ADI-8

Here are the DIs: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Foru...n - Alt 8 - Countryman, Millennia & ADI-8.rar

If anyone wants to make a backing track, the DIs will synch to a tempo of 184 BPM.

Cheers.

PS. For those who need a quick preview, here's a bounce with the tracking tone, raw out of 8505: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Ermz - Horizon Alt8 Test - 8505.mp3

Hey guys,

Rusty Ermz > Tortex TIII .88mm > ESP Horizon Brett Garsed Signature with XL frets & Alt-8 pickup > Countryman Type 85 > Millennia Origin > RME ADI-8

Cheers.

Why don't you just use the millennia DI ?
countryman into millennia solid state input ?
what are the advantages ?

thanx

These DI's sound a little "off" to me. Some wierd stuff going on in the 100-200khz range. Maybe some coloration from the Millennia? The tracks don't really sound tight to my ears either.

Thanks Ermz just a Quick take on your Stems ,only guitars no drums

Edited:

S1770

Last edited by a moderator:
cool, never noticed Brett Garsed has a signature model out.
liking the character of the sound a lot.

Why don't you just use the millennia DI ?
countryman into millennia solid state input ?
what are the advantages ?

thanx

The Millennia's DI is tube topology, so the Countryman is a fair bit more transparent.

@26: I had no idea either until the guitarist rolled in with it. The stock version is a little different. He kinda gutted it and replaced those parts with ones he liked. Gotta say I am digging the Alt 8 so far. Seems thoroughly melodeathy, while still retaining tightness.

@Empathy & Widek: You're welcome!

Thanks for this, been fun to play with.
Your playing isn't too bad for someone that confesses to be a bit out of shape guitar-chops wise

god DAMN the pick attack is crazy on the RAW DI's! Spikey as hell but sounds fucking AMAZING through your 8505 chain, jesus... The PM's sound awesome but I'm finding a slightly hollow quality to the overall tone.... could just be me.

Sounds very similar to Phil's Ibanez RG1527 Prestige; which we've found to be the absolute BEST SOUNDING + PLAYING recording axe on the planet thus far in our search, haha) but with just a hairrrr less body and midrange.

We were looking at a Horizon NT-7, actually.... just to have a bit different flavor to choose from (plus it's fixed bridge which I personally dig)....

Take This Oath :)

JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

Thanks.

Regarding the tempo, I actually tapped out the speed of the recorded song & set the session to that, so it should be identical.

Yes I apologize about any lack of tightness - that's all implied. I didn't want to do the usual full disclaimer about the strings being too old, how much I suck etc. but effectively I've barely touched the instrument for the last 5 years. Obviously if I were a client I'd tell myself to practice for 6 months before tracking. This was just a 'pick it up, learn the song and track it on the spot' kinda deal. I still treat the guitar like a bitch though, which is where that pick attack is coming from CJ. We all know if you play like a bitch, you sound like a bitch.

Cool stuff on the backing track, Blue Fang! Did you by chance want to share that as a MIDI for the other guys?

@CJ: The hollow quality could be the pickup. Part of what I dig about it is how it's some kind of weird hybrid between that typical mellow JB/85 tone and a more djenty one. I've got no idea how it sounds through a real amp chain at the moment, but I'm kinda enjoying it through the sims! Bear in mind the strings are a good 12 hours old, so it's not as tight nor bright as it should be.