DIs + Backing for reamping (judge my DIs?)

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
So if I'm gonna complain about other people's DI's and playing and whatnot, I figure I have to at least post my own, so I threw together a short riff + backing and quadtracked gtrs to it. *EDIT* Also including the same tracks recorded with both of my main axes, as a kind of active vs passive thing.

EMG 89 DIs

Alt 8 DIs

All files 24/44.1

Chain was: Stinnett w/89 or ESP M-1 NTB w/Alt 8 -> Redeye -> FF800 pre. Strings have maybe 4-6 hours of playing on them.

I'm hoping my DI quality is up to par, and I'm also hoping to hear some killer tones with that riff/my playing, since I know my hands tend to give a way 'squishier' tone than other peoples.

Here's the riff + backing with the original POD tone I tracked with.

EMG 89

Alt 8

Hey dude if these end up being good can I use them as samples for my Reamping business.

(that goes for anyone reading who'd like to volunteer DI's to me haha).

Hi Jeff,

Just listened to your DI's and backing track and yes, they are great ( a bit short !!! ).
I will have a go at reamping thru the Uberschall for fun later on.

Nice job.

Damn good playing dude, and I gotta say, IMO the Stinett w/ 89 absolutely DESTROYS the M-I w/ Alt8, the 89 is just so much chunkier and fuller, and that slight clipping from the preamp running it at 9v really helps give it an awesome harmonic detail, without getting too annoyingly sterile and upper-middy like the 81 @ 9v - I may have to get one and see how it holds up @ 9v compared to my thus far favorite 81 @ 18!

And it's not so much that I think the Alt8 sounds "bad", every time I listen to it, after a brief acclimation period I think it sounds pretty good, but even after dropping the volume of the 89 DI's (before the ampsim chain) by 2.5dB, they still just sounded so much more alive and detailed - I don't ever think I can go back to passive for heavy rhythm!

EDIT: To clarify, I dropped the volume of the 89 DI's to make sure it wasn't just that they were saturating the ampsim chain more that made me prefer them

Ai facut treaba buna Burny, imi place a doua versiune cel mai mult.

Good job everyone, keep them coming.

Btw, your re-amp sounds fantastic Burny, nicely done (800?) Scoot, I honestly think your first re-amp was your best, it sounds like you boosted the mids in 2 and 3, but not at a pleasant point in their frequency honestly, the first breathes so much better because it's more scooped, but I agree it's still quite indistinct and a bit muffled; what cab and mic(s) are you using?

EDIT: Oh, and Burny, I definitely prefer the single 57 version :headbang:

Burny your reamp sounds nice man :headbang:
Thanks. Appreciated.

Btw, your re-amp sounds fantastic Burny, nicely done (800?) Scoot, I honestly think your first re-amp was your best, it sounds like you boosted the mids in 2 and 3, but not at a pleasant point in their frequency honestly, the first breathes so much better because it's more scooped, but I agree it's still quite indistinct and a bit muffled; what cab and mic(s) are you using?

EDIT: Oh, and Burny, I definitely prefer the single 57 version :headbang:

Thanks. No, it's the other Marshall, the crappy one. :lol: It's a (modded) JCM900. The 800 is back on the road to my dismay. I'll get it back later this month.
I think I prefer the single 57 too.