DIs + Backing for reamping (judge my DIs?)

Cheers for the reamps guys! Just for the record, I'm not looking for a final product or to have someone reamp for an EP or album or anything (yet...), this is just to make sure my DI's are up to par and to give you guys some solid playing with which to reamp!

Scoot; I really like the raunchy, growly character to the amp, but it needs way more cut! First clip is the best; up the presence and treble and maybe mic more towards the dustcap and you'll be in business. That'll also help bring out the 'melody' as you put it. Which cab are you using, btw?

Burny; I agree, non-Fredman sounds way better. Yours also has a bit of a muffled quality to it, although not as much as Scoots. Are you LPF'ing at a low spot, or is the amp just not dialed in for a lot of treble?

Marcus, you've really gotta try the 89. I know you didn't like the 85, and I agree - it's too muddy/cloudy in the low midrange and doesn't have a tight enough ass. That said, I prefer EMG's at 9v (even the 81), so that could come into play. The 89 is really an organic 81, though - the smooth top end and organic qualities of the 85, but the tighter low end of the 81. And it 'splits'!

Yeah, the thing is, I found I preferred the 85 at 9v (but overall we do indeed feel the same about its tone), so I figured I would on the 89 too! (I mainly only like the 81 @ 18v to get rid of the sterility and extend the lows a bit, but I do sometimes miss the reduced dynamics from the internal clipping :D)

Sorry man I thought you are someone else. My bad then. I said I like your second version, 57.

I liked Burny's reamp with a single 57 the most, but I actually found myself liking the POD tone too, haha!

You should definitely use that riff in a song, very cool riff! :headbang:

Thank you all for the comments.

Scoot, I honestly think your first re-amp was your best, it sounds like you boosted the mids in 2 and 3, but not at a pleasant point in their frequency honestly, the first breathes so much better because it's more scooped, but I agree it's still quite indistinct and a bit muffled; what cab and mic(s) are you using?

I turned down the bass and turned up the treble and presence in clips 2 and 3 because I wanted the melody to cut thru more clearly
but I ended up introducing nasty frequencies. I am using a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab and mics are a 57 and a 421. I always blend
the two mics together which I think I might stop doing.

Your tone could use some more top end/presence, that will help it cut better

I agree but I am having trouble dialing it up ! I had the treble and presence turned down in clip1
and tried raising them in clips 2 and 3.

Cheers for the reamps guys! Just for the record, I'm not looking for a final product or to have someone reamp for an EP or album or anything (yet...), this is just to make sure my DI's are up to par and to give you guys some solid playing with which to reamp!
Scoot; I really like the raunchy, growly character to the amp, but it needs way more cut! First clip is the best; up the presence and treble and maybe mic more towards the dustcap and you'll be in business. That'll also help bring out the 'melody' as you put it. Which cab are you using, btw?

Yes, my challenge is to get the Uber to cut thru more and be less muffled.
The first clip had a higher bass setting and less treble and presence than the other clips.
I think turning up the treble might not be a good idea, I might try moving the mic closer to
the dustcap instead as you suggested.
The cab is a Mesa Rectifier 2x12.

89 > Alt8 by a landssssslide IMO. Playing is 2 legit 2 quit.

Kyle: u crazy, gurl

Great sound Frank!
My reamp is a little edgy and spiky....but I think the problem is the 2x12 I have here

Thanks man :D

Your's sounds good as well, needs some presence though, it's kind of muffled. Needs a boost around 1500 - 3000k, maybe a boost around 6000-7000k as well for some presence ;) Otherwise good :kickass:

Just having fun with this little guy (dc2 connected to my 4x12):

boogie.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2973685/jeffdc289.wav