Ethnic Music

NinjaGeek

Feb 22, 2007
So how many of you are into ethnic music from various countries? Stuff like Flamenco, Roma, Celtic, Enka, whatever. I really enjoy trying to find the cultural music of as many places as possible, there's lots of good stuff out there. Anyone got some good recommendations in this area? Bands that do modern takes on ethnic genres (IE, mixed with rock, metal, techno, whatever) or bands that mix several cultures together are also welcome.

I like latin music quite a bit otherwise I stick to my ethnic music.... American Jazz, American/English Blues, Hard Rock and good Metal

I love Chinese music, especially Yangqin (Chinese hammer dulcimer) and Erhu (Chinese violin) pieces.

Bands that do modern takes on ethnic genres (IE, mixed with rock, metal, techno, whatever) or bands that mix several cultures together are also welcome.

Don't have any on those, mainly because most people won't do it because most people wouldn't like them for it. If I form a Prog band I would love to throw Shakuhachi solos in but I know that the band wouldn't like that, a lot of bands might like it but might not put enough of a certain Ethnic style in because they might not be liked, also other band members might not like it.

Just copying and pasting a few recommendations I recently posted on another forum:

Egschiglen - "Gereg":
This is the current album of a band from Mongolia (who now resides in Germany). Their music is played on traditional instruments and they often practise the traditional overtone/throat singing. They also have a female singer who sings with a "normal" female voice (i.e. she doesn't practise throat singing). To read more about them, go to this page. Unfortunately, there is currently only one song for downloading available in the mp3-section. It's from their previous album "Zazal" and might sound like "ethnic BnB". But you also find some clips on youtube.

Ghalia Benali & Timnaa - "Wild Harissa":
Ghalia Benali is a singer/dancer from Tunisia. In spite of the English title of this album, she sings all songs in Arabian. As for the music itself, I'll just cite a bit from the CD-booklet which contains background information as well as translations of the lyrics in French, English and German: "Timnaa's music has many roots - classical Arab music from Jordania, Iran and, above all, Tunisia;...Andalusian guitar sounds and jubilant fiddling that transports the listener to another world...Virtuoso violins, Flamenco guitars and Arab percussion array her expressive, profoundly emotive and smokey voice from Tunisia to Andalusia, with excursions to the Balkans, Brazil and back to the Middle East." As this description already suggests, the music is mostly very lively.

Unfortunately, it seems Ghalia Benali doesn't have an official website and the clips of her you find on youtube aren't songs from "Wild Harissa".

Divahn - "Divahn":
Instead of trying to define their music on my own, I'll just quote from their official website which sums it up pretty well:
Divahn infuses traditional songs with sophisticated harmonies and arrangements using tabla, cello, rabel, doumbek, violin and other acoustic instruments, plus vocals in Hebrew, Judeo-Spanish, Persian, Arabic, Aramaic and Turkish.

Their beautiful lyricism flows through an intense rhythmic drive. The group distinguishes itself as the only all-female ensemble performing Mizrakhi-influenced music (Jewish music from
the Middle East and North Africa) in the US, and has performed with some of the world’s most renowned master musicians, including Glen Velez and Anindo Chatterjee.

Divahn, a word common to Hebrew, Persian, and Arabic, means a collection of songs or poetry. Through its music, Divahn seeks to underscore common ground shared between diverse Middle Eastern cultures and religions. The group captures the breadth and diversity of Mizrakhi and Sephardi music throughout the centuries, while simultaneously creating and redefining innovative directions for the music in the present.

You can listen to their songs and buy their CD here. There are also a few clips on youtube.

Maybe I'll add some more recommendations soon - if I should find the time.

I love Irish folk music.

Also, I like this band called Saor Patrol, they're Scottish and it's all well, makes you wanna do the Gay Gordons kinda. Or just get your kilt on. Yum <3

And thanks to my dad, Early Venetian (sp?) Lute music has grown on me a condsiderable amount.

If you enjoy latin jazz check out Buena Vista Social Club and Afro-Cuban All Stars, it's greaaat stuff.
As for a band that fuses several, I HIGHLY recommend you check out Farmer's Market. They were signed by Mike Patton's label I believe, and they fuse Eastern European folk music, surf, blues, and much more...just a great band. Their latest, Surfin' USSR is amazing.

Ann'Sannat - Acoustic/celtic
Karl Sanders - Instrumental/Egyptian
Douglas Irvine - Mostly instrumental/Egyptian ambient stuff
Synaulia - Ancient roman music.Lotsa horns and plucked string instruments.

Here is a song on the Yangqin (Chinese hammer dulcimer), I don't think I've ever heard a song on that instrument I didn't like (besides the ones played by unskilled players).

Here is some Japanese music.
The instrument on the right is the Koto (I think), and the flute being played on the right is the Shakuhachi.

This is a Shamisen battle. The Shamisen is a Japanese instrument, it is like a combination of the banjo and the sitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Celtic folk music is amazing.

Also, English folk music is very good. For a taste, check out bands like Pentangle or Fairport Convention.

There are a ton of good Irish folk bands:

Great Big Sea (they have some cheesy pop stuff, so make sure you get their folk stuff)
Irish Descendents
The Fables

I'll have to check them out.

At the mo I'm listening to lots of acid folk: Mellow Candle, Tir Na Nog & especially Comus are all amazing

Tbh, I can never listen to drum solos for more than 10 seconds. No matter how good the drummer is.

Anyway. I have this album called "The Rough Guide To The Music Of Indonesia" I like it. Indonesian music has Chinese, Indian, Japanese and other influences and IMO it's kickass. Not as much as Chinese music though.

I like exploring different types of Ethnic music because it changes the way I listen to music and make music.