Euphoria Re-appraisal

Apr 7, 2002
Sandford, Strathaven
Visit site
I've been listening to SOE this weekend for the first time in ages, and whilst it was never my favourite I have been really enjoying it.

I think it is Dan's best album, I love his work on this, especially Who Cares Wins and Out of Site, Out of Mind. The production is superb, indeed the Who Cares solo is one of my fave bits of 'Thrax ever, a really tight bit of great music from the whole band.

Scott's lyrics are ace, Who Cares & Schism are among his best ever.

I have a copy of the interview Joey did with www.metal-exiles.com, he felt SOE was a "rough album for me to do. There were not a lot of great moments to actually sing on that. There were intersting cuts in there that were really not set up vocally to make a really good attempt at a song." It's a good interview and very revealing about joey's status within the band.

Roll on the Glasgow gig!:headbang:

I've always thought SOE was Anthrax's most underrated album. Be All, End All, Finale, Schism, Who Cares Wins, Now It's Dark. :headbang: Some really good shit on that album! I disagree with you about it being Dan's best album though. Although SOE has some great leads, Persistence of Time has the best leads Dan's ever played imo.The solo on Time is the best Spitz solo ever! :headbang: P.O.T. is loaded with great lead work!

State of U4EAhhhhhh was my very first Anthrax album, after that I was hooked. What got me most was the song writing and their messages, they really made me think as a young teen. It's a damn fine album!

I always loved that album... That was the first Anthrax album I got. I was kinda surprised when I joined the message board and saw people trashing it...

State Of Euphoria - a killer fucking record man!

Who Cares Wins is my favourite song on that and one of Anthraxs best , Dans lead is one of the best ever. I agree with the lyrics, did Scott write them? ,if you did dude, there brilliant man.

SOE gets alot of shit, its heavily underated, i consider it to the weakest with Bella but contains some of the best, but also contains some filler

Its a good record, but some of the songs just dont do it for me. Be All, End All is the crushing track off that record, but others just dont keep me going like POT or ATL

Im glad we got a bunch of Euphoria fans in here now, its by far my favorite album. Its very dark and serious. As some people have said also, I was young and it made me think a lot. Don't get me wrong, I like all Anthrax's work except the early screaming falsetto stuff. Joey fit his nitch and also was the reason a lot of people dismissed Anthrax as 'heavy', that said they were far heavier with Joey consistantly.

redeyes said:
Joey fit his nitch and also was the reason a lot of people dismissed Anthrax as 'heavy', that said they were far heavier with Joey consistantly.

I agree. I think Anthrax was definatley heavier and faster with Belladonna than they were with Bush or Turbin.

Hi,
I like SOE more than POT, which in my opinion has too many lines of lyrics and not very good melody lines. POT is like rap album with guitars. SOE instead has some really good songs...I can't understand why Scott doesn't like that album.

Antwax

Ron MOSH Earl said:
I've always love SOE, never understood why people trash it so much.

Ya I know. SOE is an awesome album! :headbang: Over the years I've heard enough people bitch about the song '13' in particular. Personally I dig it. Frankie's bass sounds fuckin' cool! For some reason I've always viewed it almost as an intro to Finale.

antwax said:
Hi,
I like SOE more than POT, which in my opinion has too many lines of lyrics and not very good melody lines. POT is like rap album with guitars. SOE instead has some really good songs...I can't understand why Scott doesn't like that album.

Antwax

That's cool. To each their own! I love SOE, but POT is my favourite Anthrax album. It's so fucking angry, and the songs are epic. The guitar riffs in Time, In My World, Keep It In The Family, Gridlock, fuck the whole album are punishing. Personally I love the vocals on POT. They're definatley Joey's least melodic overall, but they are easily his angriest imo. I love the pissed off tone in his voice on the album. Scott and Dan's guitar work is my favourite work they ever did as well. Plus Charlie and Frank kick supreme ass all over the place. I could go on forever about the greatness that is Persistence Of Time! :headbang:

strik9 said:
That's cool. To each their own! I love SOE, but POT is my favourite Anthrax album. It's so fucking angry, and the songs are epic. The guitar riffs in Time, In My World, Keep It In The Family, Gridlock, fuck the whole album are punishing. Personally I love the vocals on POT. They're definatley Joey's least melodic overall, but they are easily his angriest imo. I love the pissed off tone in his voice on the album. Scott and Dan's guitar work is my favourite work they ever did as well. Plus Charlie and Frank kick supreme ass all over the place. I could go on forever about the greatness that is Persistence Of Time! :headbang:

Totally Agree there man
Definately the bands Swansong is with POT, my favourite album is POT, i love POT , POT is so good , omg POT is fucking brilliant, anyway SOE is awesome too.

:headbang:

Silent_Scream said:
Totally Agree there man
Definately the bands Swansong is with POT, my favourite album is POT, i love POT , POT is so good , omg POT is fucking brilliant, anyway SOE is awesome too.

:headbang:

Right fucking on bro! All hail the brilliance that is POT! :headbang:

Man ive been listening to Who Cares Wins

One of Anthraxs best ever, i want to buy Dan a keg of beer for that lead he does, fuckin brilliant. And alot of beer for the rest of the boys for makin that classic track.... and album... and career.... im getting ahead of myself