State of Euphoria

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
Listend to SOE today for the first time in years from start to finish, and I gotta say, as much as I have bashed it, it's a goddamn cracker!!!!

I will always credit it as being the record that introduced me to Anthrax but have always put it waaaay down the list as far as my fave goes. But after cranking it again today I gotta say it's the one record that best captures the band at a special time of their career in terms of their character that no other thrash band at that time had. We all know how good Be All End All and Antisocial are, but some of the other chestnuts like Out of Sight Out of Mind, Now Its Dark, and especially Finale just slay!

And Charlie's bass drum sound on that record is better than I've heard on any other Thrax record!!!

There you go - I've said my bit, just wanted to share my excitement at "rediscovering" a fantastic Anthrax record.

Having said all that - can't wait for Anthrax 2008 on record. :headbang:

Halleluia Timmy, :worship:notworthy
I started too with SOE, and I NEVER change my opinion, it's a fuckin' good album.
I LOVE every riff, every drum beat, every mosh part, i think he's very special, this album have a real soul, but funny soul....
when you hear it, close your eyes and you can feel the pleasure, the euphoria of the band at this time. (open your eyes and watch NFV:cool:)

OK, OK, Joey sucks a lot on this album:puke:, and musically it's not really Thrash if you compare with the concurrence :ill:(and justice, south of Heaven, so far, so good....) But it's really special ..............:loco::loco:

SOE is one of my favorite Thrax-records, criminally underrated IMO, i don't think that Joey sucks on this one. i like every song on the album and i don't know which album i like better, SOE or ATL.

brilliant record,strange that anthrax say they wrent happy with it,probably the record that most people first got exposed to anthrax,i had that in the player for 2 years straight pretty much.

I listened to alot of metal (or Heavy Metal as it was called then) and most of my friends were into rock or Rap. Antisocial was one of the only tunes to catch thier attention.

i find it interesting that their "forgotten" album is one of their most successful and best selling ones, i think it went "platinum" or at least "gold".
That's true but I say that because when I talk 'Thrax with some people (mostly casual fans) they ususally only know the songs Antisocial and Madhouse, but not know the other stuff off SOE or even the name of the album. Prime example happened last week, a buddy of mine wanted to get into thrax so I was asked to make a comp CD and put like 5 songs from SOE on it. He knew those 2 songs and asked what album they were on.

Hardcore fans know the record and love it. I should have worded that post better.

Under rated as fuck album. Weird Anthrax says they're not happy with it, they should be playing tons of shit from it. Be All End All, Out Of Sight Out Of Mind, Finale, Schism, the whole fucking album thrashes from start to finish

I agree, it is a criminally underrated album. But I can kind of see why; IMO, it feels a tad generic compared to Spreading, Among and Persistence. But not being better than those three is not a put down, it's still a thrash classic.

I love that album too. Finale is one of my favorite songs. The lyrics are great and the opening riff is crushing. I also love Now it's Dark. I think it gets forgotten because it came out only a year after ATL and then was followed by POT which is still one of the best metal albums IMO.

Likewise - SOE was my first Anthrax album. But I also feel its the most underwhelming album too in the sense that it's nowhere near as accessible as their others.

I also used to get annoyed at just how low the recording was.

It's a great album but it was rushed - I always felt it just missed that extra 10% of TLC in the studio - Scott even confirmed that.

Agree with Karina - POT was and still is for me THE pinnacle Belladonna era album. In fact its probably their most complete album to date period (including the Bush albums).