STATE OF EUPHORIA Appreciation Thread

I don't agree about this one. Euphoria is my fav Anthrax album. It is a very dark haunting album to me. The riffs are brutal and the singing is catchy. In fact I know every lyric. The leads are incredible. I am sad that they never played it much live after it came out.:Smokedev:

Misery Loves Company is my favorite song on the album (and one of my all time by the band) by a longshot. Finale is really good too. There's a bunch of songs on this that have really incredible parts that still sound like no other band even if they're not perfect all the way through. Out Of Sight Out Of Mind has a pretty great mosh breakdown.

I'll agree that the CD version could use a remaster but the vinyl sounds just fine. Back then it was still pretty common for labels to make the mistake of using the same master for the CD and vinyl. As far as releases from the eighties go there are tons of things I've found on vinyl that sound way better than the CD version due to the mastering. Things like volume and tape hiss are usually the most glaring examples.

I remember the tape running out before Finale played so I listened to that album forever without that song. When I bought the tape is was magical to have the last track.

That is awesome. These kids nowadays have it so easy with their iPods :loco:

I still remember that my Walkman in high school had a switch to reverse it and play the other side without taking out the tape. Eventually it broke and instead played the current side backwards, which came in mighty handy with some metal songs.

I will always love SOE, if only because it was my most played album for one year in high school and because my Now It's Dark shirt was the only shirt I had to consistently turn inside out at school.

I do know my least favorite song is Schism. The rest I like. It's kind of annoying the way he say's 'Sc-sc-sc-schism' lol

Two years ago, the Favre-story-of-the-week in Minnesota (and probably nationally) was the speculation on whether there was a schism in the Vikings locker room. When Favre said he had never the word before, I started hearing conversations everywhere with people mentioning that they, too, had never heard the word.

Aside from thinking they were idiots, I also always thought to myself "Well, they obviously aren't Anthrax fans!" :D

Two years ago, the Favre-story-of-the-week in Minnesota (and probably nationally) was the speculation on whether there was a schism in the Vikings locker room. When Favre said he had never the word before, I started hearing conversations everywhere with people mentioning that they, too, had never heard the word.

Aside from thinking they were idiots, I also always thought to myself "Well, they obviously aren't Anthrax fans!" :D

Metal helped to brush up my english..

SOE my first ANTHRAX album. After the NFV experience, i really needed more!! & SOE was not a let down, it opened the door to more metal experience ( eventhough i've watched MAIDEN LAD earlier, but ANTHRAX really gave me the push)

Every song is killer, i dont give a shit about the low mix or what so ever...it sounded good to me!!

Here's to YA!! SOE!!

I remember a kid in school having a SoE t-shirt that said on the back "DON'T YOU FUCKING LOOK AT ME" in big letters, and the admin making him wear it inside out.

I had that shirt and I think the same thing happened to me haha..

Anyway, I always liked this album.. oddly enough I never got it on CD just had the tape. I am going to pick it up when I get the new one..Antiscial, Be All, schism, now It's Dark are all awesome.. this was also my first Anthrax tape after I'm the Man..

1st thrax record for me like a lot of people here, be all end all is still my fav song and yeah a damn good album, id like to forget scisim and misery but would like to hear them do make me laugh and finale live again plus now its dark was the best live song on the state of euphoria tour, in my opinion of course

Was my fist exposure to Anthrax back in 88/89. Still love te record, but do agree with those that say 1-2 of the tunes are too long (Who Cares Wins, BAEA). Spitz and Benante really shine on this record. It does sond like the record that was rushed though in hindsight hearing what Scott always said. Great album that could've been so much greater. Lyrically the record was average.

And this is the last record to truly have those great mosh parts as they referred to them back in the day.

The part in Out of Sight, Out of Mind that goes "Stupid, dumb, idiot, moron, you really make me sick......" and breaks into that mosh part just makes me want to tear it up everytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was my fist exposure to Anthrax back in 88/89. Still love te record, but do agree with those that say 1-2 of the tunes are too long (Who Cares Wins, BAEA). Spitz and Benante really shine on this record. It does sond like the record that was rushed though in hindsight hearing what Scott always said. Great album that could've been so much greater. Lyrically the record was average.

And this is the last record to truly have those great mosh parts as they referred to them back in the day.

The part in Out of Sight, Out of Mind that goes "Stupid, dumb, idiot, moron, you really make me sick......" and breaks into that mosh part just makes me want to tear it up everytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That tune's full of great riffs. Charlie does excel on SOE, it's a pitty the drum sound doesn't do his playing justice. His it ever been played live? That would be a nice surprise for the 30th anniversary gig. :kickass:

I think SOE is awesome. Only complaint is mixing/mastering volume issues which I'm sure are fixable or should be in the near future. My first Anthrax LP was POT. Then I got b's and and SOE. And I pretty much wore out those cassettes in 1991 and 1992. I had the others and listened to them but something about those aforementioned albums that I just could not get enough.

I know the band dislikes it, as well as many fans, but it's really great. It's fun, and plenty catchy. The drums are great on it, but the solos are mixed as if Mr. Spitz played from a toilet somewhere. It's not nearly as bad a sound as some state, but it could have sounded much, much better. I always loved Schism for some reason, the riffs are awesome on that song.

I love the production! don't have problems with the volume as I play the vinyl when at home and the CD in my car. And I always turn up the volume a lot when playing Thrax.
The production especially works perfect on Finale and Who Cares Wins. Which both are, incidentally, my two fave tunes on the album.
It has a fair share of lesser songs compared to the other Joey fronted albums, I admit. But 'lesser' Joey tunes in this case still means better than anything on Stomp obviously ;)