european tour 2008!

laaaame :(
come up with something different pls ...

but hey ... seeing opeth live is great anyway. so who cares about the setlist.

I CARE

Hi everybody!
Awesome show tonight in Barcelona. The set list was:
1 - Heir Apparent
2 - The Grand Conjuration
3 - Godhead's Lament
4 - The Lotus Eater
5 - Hope Leaves
6 - Deliverance
7 - Demon Of The Fall
Encore: The Drapery Falls

Mikael, you should follow the requests of the crowd. The guy (or girl) with the sign was asking for Bleak, that you played in some cities in this tour... Anyway, now we know that we should bring something salted from Sweden...
No t-shirts with tour-dates in the back.
I was in barcelona and I had a tshirt with tourdates in the back.

Great show last night in Milan..Mikael made me laugh about like every time he spoke!

Anyways pretty much one of the greatest bands to see..as well as Cynic

just a question: ist there anybody around, driving from tübingen to stuttart to see opeth on tuesday? i need a ride, otherwise i have to go by train.

müsli;7859486 said:
just a question: ist there anybody around, driving from tübingen to stuttart to see opeth on tuesday? i need a ride, otherwise i have to go by train.
I live in Heidelberg, but I am in Tübingen now. My mother lives here. Unfornately, I go back to Heidelberg tomorrow. I go also with train to Stuttgart.

in my opinion the fact that this thread always needs some bumps to stay alive means that the thousands people that are "solding-out" the venues this time are quite a bit disappointed. me too, and even though one can say the setlist was not too bad or so... especially in this case, when we talk about opeth... the setlist counts, a lot in my opinion. c'mon... there still are the songs they've played for ages each every time... drapery, conjuration, demon, deliverance... heir apparent has probably been played every time since melloboat, which was a fantastic concert because of the jazzy version of harvest and serenity painted death... i'm italian and i constantly read people's opinions on forums and lastfm, and i can tell you that cynic is the band that they enjoyed the most and surely remember more than opeth's performance...

in my opinion the fact that this thread always needs some bumps to stay alive means that the thousands people that are "solding-out" the venues this time are quite a bit disappointed. me too, and even though one can say the setlist was not too bad or so... especially in this case, when we talk about opeth... the setlist counts, a lot in my opinion. c'mon... there still are the songs they've played for ages each every time... drapery, conjuration, demon, deliverance... heir apparent has probably been played every time since melloboat, which was a fantastic concert because of the jazzy version of harvest and serenity painted death... i'm italian and i constantly read people's opinions on forums and lastfm, and i can tell you that cynic is the band that they enjoyed the most and surely remember more than opeth's performance...

I don't dispute your point, although I will say that Opeth in London a few weeks ago were simply brilliant. Cynic were good, but Opeth ruled..and I think most people who were there might agree.

With regards to the set list, I've been thinking about this and I think part of the problem is simply too much information...in the "old" days, we had no idea what a bands set list might be, unless you happened to know someone who saw them on a different night...or read a review in the WEEKLY music news..who never told you the whole set list anyway!..

It seems to me that the "surprise" element has been taken away now, and that was a big part of the fun of going to gigs...what are they going to start with?...how many new songs?..wonder if they'll do my favourite?..etc,etc.

The sheer adrenalin of hearing each song as it started, especially if the singer didn't announce it was just fantastic..that way, you could just enjoy the moment, or, not, if it sucked!...rather than thinking "oh, it'll be "Deliverance" next, I've heard it a million times.."...even if the version of "Deliverance" that was played was the BEST version ever, some of the joy would have been reduced just by your pre-conceived view of the song.

Actually, for me, what made the London gig astonishing, was that despite knowing the exact likely set-list, every song crushed...

In future though, I think I'm going to avoid finding out what the set list is and just try and enjoy whatever happens..

me too probably because yes... the surprise element exists no more.
but i'm not saying i didn't enjoy opeth's concert in milan... i just said i missed something particular that could have made that event unique.
i guess the band will work on something new for 2009, and i'll be there as always.

Munich was the most unbelieveable concert i´ve ever been to.

Cynic were stunning...those guys are so cool... after the concert they hung around inside the venue talked to everyone and signed everything. I couldn´t trust my eyes! I talked to Paul and he mentioned they will play some festivals and do a HEADLINING TOUR in 2009!! (and play more material of focus)

Opeth ...what do I need to say. Breathtaking ...as ever. Mikael was ultra-funny an the setlist was pretty heavy. Also met Axe outside the venue after the gig, and this guy is so cool and such a nice person. Totaly down to earth and relaxed. Can´t wait for the next gig i am able to visit.

I'd say it's more likely that it's because the majority of Opeth fans don't bother posting on this forum. :)

/agree :rolleyes:

Enjoying a gig/being a true opeth fan doesnt mean you HAVE to post there..or express your feelings through other online channels

P.S. Heya, just registered after some weeks of reading :)

I think repeating the setlist over and over is less of a problem. If the band feels they will sound tighter and more confident with only one setlist per tour/per leg, its still ok, fans may wish for something else but its still a matter of preference, even with songs like DOTF or TDF being repeated ad absurdum.

However, there can be no debate that, especially with band like Opeth, 8 songs show is not the same as 10 songs show. If im not wrong, average US concert included 10 piece setlist, and average European show only 8. Euro fans thus wish for more, and rightly so, and here i feel no argument can be made in band´s defense. Its simply slightly unfair. US tour setlist minus 2 songs, SPD/NATSW, is only that - less exciting setlist, and, consequently, less exciting show and live experience. For a while, it seemed cutting the setlist was due to curfews in UK, but now it seems its fair to say it was not British curfew policy that made the band "compromise their creativity", but rather the choice of the band itself. In other words, i would dare to say they just went for a "big band" maneuvre and shortened the setlist "cause they can". I know i might be unfair, and i might be wrong, so i really tried to phrase myself in a diplomatic way, and will gladly eat up my words if proven wrong, but to me 2 songs less means 20 minutes less, and i cant find the other way about it but feel somewhat handicapped.

I don't like finding out the setlist before the show for the same reasons, it takes away from the excitement but I must say I knew it on this occasion and I felt a bit disappointed before the gig rather than afterwards (coz I'd heard the same songs live a few times myself), so quite the opposite in that respect; Opeth still "rocked my socks". Maybe it's because they've played the same songs over and over again that resulted in a crushing performance but i'm pretty sure they/their music still have/has that magic that makes them such a great live band. Maybe people who've been to so many of their gigs expect it now so don't find it worth their time to comment on something a lot of people already know. I do agree that adding a few new songs to the setlist would make it that much better though.

I think repeating the setlist over and over is less of a problem. If the band feels they will sound tighter and more confident with only one setlist per tour/per leg, its still ok, fans may wish for something else but its still a matter of preference, even with songs like DOTF or TDF being repeated ad absurdum.

However, there can be no debate that, especially with band like Opeth, 8 songs show is not the same as 10 songs show. If im not wrong, average US concert included 10 piece setlist, and average European show only 8. Euro fans thus wish for more, and rightly so, and here i feel no argument can be made in band´s defense. Its simply slightly unfair. US tour setlist minus 2 songs, SPD/NATSW, is only that - less exciting setlist, and, consequently, less exciting show and live experience. For a while, it seemed cutting the setlist was due to curfews in UK, but now it seems its fair to say it was not British curfew policy that made the band "compromise their creativity", but rather the choice of the band itself. In other words, i would dare to say they just went for a "big band" maneuvre and shortened the setlist "cause they can". I know i might be unfair, and i might be wrong, so i really tried to phrase myself in a diplomatic way, and will gladly eat up my words if proven wrong, but to me 2 songs less means 20 minutes less, and i cant find the other way about it but feel somewhat handicapped.
If it comforts you to know, The U.S. gets waaaay less tours, and even those only go to the big cities. North america is simply to big, the towns are to far apart for it to be as affordable to do tours. This is even more true of smaller bands.