Ever turn non-metal friends on to AA?

Joemax

Oct 16, 2006
Stoneham, MA USA
So recently I was hanging with a good friend of mine. We were pretty fucked up and messing around on my computer and he asked me to play some videos. He likes some punk, a lot of rap and no metal. So I played a few different things and then I played “Pursuit of Vikings”. To my surprise he loved it and wanted to hear more. I ended up playing him all of their videos and some other stuff I had in my iTunes. I figured his enthusiasm was due to our inebriation and I forgot about it.

I see him a week later and he’s driving around rockin out chanting “Odin, guide our ships” – and this is a guy who has subwoofers in his truck and normally rolls listening to Jay-Z!

Next time they play out he wants to come with me! It tripped me out cause I’ve known this guy for years and he’s never liked metal – which is a testament to how good AA are. Anyone else ever convert a friend?

I tryed but they thought it was "noise", they are just jealous cause rappers dont have as much talent as Johan has in his finger tip.

I introduced a few to them. When AA came supporting CoB w/ Trivium last year I even got a few of them to come along. I was surprised just how "into it" they got.

But I guess that won't happen with everybody you try to introduce it to. I've had my share of failures when trying to introduce people to metal in general.

make sure that fucker shows some support by buying some legit CDs/merchandise of theirs,

no ofense but that friend of yours is as trendy as they get, give him some time and it'll be Hootie and the Blowfish next as flavour of the month, no respect

make sure that fucker shows some support by buying some legit CDs/merchandise of theirs,

no ofense but that friend of yours is as trendy as they get, give him some time and it'll be Hootie and the Blowfish next as flavour of the month, no respect

He liked the energy of the music and was having fun at the show. I thought he was just listening to it cus I told him to but he was way over the top of what I expected. Hell we played chess for 4 hours one day just listening to every AA album and a few other bands in between to indoctrinate him.

::just realized you were probably talking about joemax's friend:: Anyway yeah my friend always asks my opinion about metal bands whenever he hears of them now.

Ya my buddy likes music listens to a wide variety of stuff but usually when he listens to metal its Disturbed but I gave him some AA and he really liked it I was proud of myself

ive turned my parents into apocalyptica (no big feat since it simply rocks) nightwish too.. my brother and my dad to AA as well. (my brother liking r&b, rap and most atrocities of the like... at least he likes opeth and in flames.)

ive turned my friends into AA, eluveitie, when they mostly prefer female vocals and softer metal..

i know in my surroundings who are more attuned to AA than not, so its not that difficult.
ive even turned many poeple with who i play wow to Vintersorg, Dissection and AA, was pretty funny^^

ive turned my parents into apocalyptica (no big feat since it simply rocks) nightwish too.. my brother and my dad to AA as well. (my brother liking r&b, rap and most atrocities of the like... at least he likes opeth and in flames.)

ive turned my friends into AA, eluveitie, when they mostly prefer female vocals and softer metal..

i know in my surroundings who are more attuned to AA than not, so its not that difficult.
ive even turned many poeple with who i play wow to Vintersorg, Dissection and AA, was pretty funny^^

Ever turn anybody to Cryptopsy or Quo Vadis? Since they're homegrown?

I've turned quite a few people on to QV because of their technical mastery. I just tell people, "If you like CoB then listen to these guys cus they crap on anything Bodom does."

lol
no need to turn on anyone onto QV here : all true metalhead know them here, and all true metalhead love them here.
QV are awesome, never got to see them yet though... but i know a bass player that had teaching from QV new bassist Forest, which is a member of Augury, another very great band. Ive seen them twice.
As for Cryptopsy, personnally ive never been able to get into it, but i do admire all members, especially the drummer (Flo Mournier). same with Martyr. Each musician in that kind of metal are often really really good, but put them togheter and personnally im not able to follow and enjoy as much as others... its rly not the voice, its just the cacophonie that results. But at least i can say ive seen or heard Cryptopsy and Martyr and Necrophagist and tell i like what they do, but its not for me.

My friends hate the metal I listen to. All the death metal I listen to scares them or they think it sounds stupid and they immitate the growling, without a shred of perfection.

Although I hasve one friend who doesn't mind Iron Maiden or Megadeth, as well as my brother who doesn't mind IM. But that's far from my DM so meh.

umm i did 3, and soon will come, i'm trying my best to change rappes into amon amarth fans, cuz i was like that, i listend to rap, but my friend played for me bloodshed, and since then i'm a fan of amon amarth, this story is from 2 and half years ago

Just about everyone in my band of friends listens to Amon Amarth thanks to the combined effort of me and a good friend of mine

I turned on a bunch of people ot AA. 2 punk kids, 4 rap/hip hop, some other friends that already liked metal, and shit even my mom likes AA. That is a woman who enjoys the Solid Gold Oldies of the 1960's. She will listen to AA b/c she thinks that it is so different and thinks it makes here cool. Hey it might sound lame but at least she tries.