Evergrey, the last 2 albuns...

I disagree with most of you guys. I think even though monday morning apocalypse wasn't the best Evergrey album its still better than most shit that gets released these days. Torn had lots of memorable choruses, melody, and heaviness as well maybe you guys dismissed it too quickly. Overall I think Evergrey should demand more respect because no band comes close to their original sound in metal. Most metal is boring with disposable clone riffs and cookie cutter vocals. I wish I could find more bands like them but there are none.

I love Evergrey, own every album and the DVD - Monday morning yep listened to it a fair bit and its a keeper, the new album was harder for me, but the production was good in my mind..

I hope they take the time to focus on the songwriting for the next album, because they have all the ingredients to make an amazing album

I love Evergrey...I'm not the biggest fan of MMA, but they have a lot of great tracks across each of their albums.

The DVD is one of the great live DVD releases, even with the mistriggers...and you have to respect the drummer's use of brushes during a metal show. And When The Walls Come Down is very good with the string quartet.

I agree. After "The Inner Circle" their music just sounds contrived to me. I was really, really hopeful for "Torn." While it is a good album, none of the songs give me goosebumps like some of the ones from "Recreation Day" or "The Inner Circle." Their DVD, however, is one of the best out there. The extra disc makes it a fantastic value!

-Joe

+10000

Reflects my opinion exactly! I even sold the "Monday Morning Apocalypse" CD. Torn is better, but...:bah: No comparison with the big three..Inner circle, search of truth and Recreation day imo.

I respect that people liked it, but I really don't get much out of listening to TIC. IMO the magic was already lost on that one. Only afew good songs.

I really like the atmosphere they achieved on TIC... they had very unique sound on it, the theme was backed with classical parts. And when I think of it, the album doesn't have any outstanding songs. But take it as a whole, it is just such a masterpiece. I think that was their idea, to make a consistent album rather than an album comprised of songs.

MMO was shit and you know it! Torn was ok but didn't live to the hype.

The Inner Circle is a good album but it´s not a album that I hear too much. But it´s far better that the last 2 albuns. TIC have one of the best songs ever written by Evergrey that is Touch Of Blessing.

I respect that people liked it, but I really don't get much out of listening to TIC. IMO the magic was already lost on that one. Only afew good songs.

Totally agree. To me, they never even came close to "Solitude Dominance Tragedy" or "In Search of Truth." Some good songs after those, but the overall songwriting strength and haunting mood of those albums was never recaptured.

Yep, TIC made my life complete with Touch of blessing.

I saw them when they came out. The MMA stuff was easier to take in live :p

But all in all, In search of truth and R.D for the win!

And when I think of it, the album doesn't have any outstanding songs. But take it as a whole, it is just such a masterpiece. I think that was their idea, to make a consistent album rather than an album comprised of songs.

I don't understand how can anyone have such a perception of TIC, but okay, I respect your opinion... IMO that album has some of their strongest songs like Ambassador or In the Wake of the Weary, not to mention A Touch Of Blessing.
I think it's equally strong in parts or in whole...

TIC is my favourite Evergrey Album. It was the first record I heared from them and I immediately loved it. Besides the great overall impression, Tom´s vocal performance was fucking outstanding!! One or maybe the best singer in the Powermetal section imo. What a great feeling and expression in his voice! I wished DT would have such a good singer :)

I don't understand how can anyone have such a perception of TIC, but okay, I respect your opinion... IMO that album has some of their strongest songs like Ambassador or In the Wake of the Weary, not to mention A Touch Of Blessing.
I think it's equally strong in parts or in whole...

Oh, now that I read the post myself I see that I didn't express my idea well enough, ehm, but what I meant that the flow of the album so constant that no song stands out. It always felt to me that the album was meant to be put in your stereo and listened from beginning to end and savored that way. Some songs, like ambassador or touch of blessing, or one of my evergrey favorites - essence of conviction are strong by themselves but they feel like parts of a greater theme. That is what I liked about solitude dominance tragedy, in search of truth and recreation day (well maybe not as much for RD)

TIC is my favorit album from evergrey, it just got the right mix of prog and epic melodies.. Plus I love the sound samples they use in the songs.

Torn dident really do much for me :/, but the other albums is also sweet.

TIC is great, but the keyboard lines are horrible. Their player is lame and his tones are ridiculous. I hate band members that don't add much to the composition, and he is a perfect example of that

Apparently, Tom S. Englund does almost half of the keyboards for the albums.. (but don't quote me on that). He did so on the newest album at least.

Oh I'm pretty sure of that too. It has been like this ever since their old keyboardist left (who I think composed a lot of melodies for solitude dominance tragedy at least). If you watch the non-concert dvd that comes with a night to remember, in the recording of recreation day you can see Zander trying and failing to record a keyboard part and Tom keeps asking him "haven't you practiced at home?".

I never felt though that keyboard line were ridiculous or had bad sound... I think that they fit the atmosphere well enough, although Zander contributes little or not at all to composition, that's true..

TIC is great, but the keyboard lines are horrible. Their player is lame and his tones are ridiculous. I hate band members that don't add much to the composition, and he is a perfect example of that

You may not like his lines but that is another question. Evergrey would not be the same without the great keyboard lines. You want examples? Touch of blessing, Watching the Skies, The Shocking Truth. Remove the keyboard lines in those songs, and they will almost suck.