Every decade has its band...

fuck....someone just had to say "Nirvana"

God i hate Nirvana - they were one of the worst bands of the 90s, i'm glad i was still a little kid back then
to quote a t-shirt i saw.... "The best thing Kurt Cobain released was the trigger"

I know thats sick and i'm sure he was a nice guy or something but his music sucked ass and balls

Best band of the 90s...Dream Theater (Awake and I&W AKA The GOOD albums)

let me correct myself: Let's replace Iron Maiden with Motorhead then, add Iron Maiden to the 80s bands, although they got started in the 70s. Since black sabbath formed in the late 60s, and didnt put out an album until the 70s, I guess they are a 70s band too. As for Led Zeppelin, I know they released an album in the 60s, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax in the 80s.

Forest-of-October said:
Hahaha, they sure are bud.

Emperor - 1991
My Dying Bride - 1990
Katatonia - 1991
At the Gates - 1990

Hmm... o_O
You're missing the entire point. Just because the bands were formed in the 90's doesn't mean they are "90's" bands.

If we were to use your logic, you would notice that Nirvana was actually formed in 1985, therefore Nirvana would be an 80's band. No.

Even though Emperor, My Dying Bride, Katatonia and At the Gates were formed in the 90's the majority still continue to make music and they have an enormous fan base today.

The 90's was definately bout tha hip hop. I mean come on, at least in the USA that was what dominated the air waves, and the clothing trends also. Just last night my friend made a good point about rappers: He said that all these rappers sing about growing up piss poor and shit like that. But do you ever hear of them going back to their old communities and trying to fight poverty. I never have. Eminem maybe once in his entire career went back to Detroit for charity purposes. That's pretty lousy. SO yeah, unfortunately I would say that hip hop was the music of the 90's. You had different groups different years, but all were rappers (2pac, wu-tang, eminem, jay-z etc. etc.).

Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pantera, I'd say Nirvana only for the fact that Bleach was a pretty heavy album for them, but it was released in '89, um, White Zombie, Rage Against the Machine...

blimey said:
You're missing the entire point. Just because the bands were formed in the 90's doesn't mean they are "90's" bands.

If we were to use your logic, you would notice that Nirvana was actually formed in 1985, therefore Nirvana would be an 80's band. No.

Even though Emperor, My Dying Bride, Katatonia and At the Gates were formed in the 90's the majority still continue to make music and they have an enormous fan base today.

Yes but of those 4 bands you mentioned, 2 of them only just made 2000. Emperor broke up in 2001 and At The Gates before. I would see them more as 90's bands. They released all their material in the 90's bar one album!

So what if they still have a fan base? That shouldn't mean that they are a huge band of this decade. Celtic Frost, Bathory, Venom, they all have large enough fan bases still although they made their impact in the 80's.

Ikil

2.jpg

i cant see how you can say the 90s wasnt good for metal when the whole black metal thing happened and some of the best death metal albums were release :confused: late 90s was kinda shitty but early 90s had a ton of awesome albums being released

April Etheral said:
fuck....someone just had to say "Nirvana"

God i hate Nirvana - they were one of the worst bands of the 90s, i'm glad i was still a little kid back then
to quote a t-shirt i saw.... "The best thing Kurt Cobain released was the trigger"

I know thats sick and i'm sure he was a nice guy or something but his music sucked ass and balls

Best band of the 90s...Dream Theater (Awake and I&W AKA The GOOD albums)

You have to be joking that nirvana is one of the worst bands. Dream theater are ok, but theyre much more technical skill than songwriting. Nirvana, although i think they're completely overrated, is a much better band at writing songs than dream theater is. The most important bands of the nineties i would have to say would be Opeth, Tool, The flaming lips, and radiohead.