Every decade has its band...

Even though Emperor, My Dying Bride, Katatonia and At the Gates were formed in the 90's the majority still continue to make music and they have an enormous fan base today.

I get what you mean now, You mean the bands that got a sort of world renown for 'changing the face of rock music'. Those bands changed nothing for me. Not because im some 'non-commercial music' likeing metalhead, because im not. Pearl jam, soundgarden and Alice in chains are all fantastic bands. Same with Tool. The bands i listed certantly changed and sculptured what we have today, which im not sure is a good thing. These 90's bands havent even been listed, it has just been stated about the grunge section of the timeline. 90's music is just any music that came out in the 90's, Rather than a selection of bands. Which you guys forgot to include radiohead, Jeff buckley etc etc and even the pop side of it. So all i did was include the Metal side of this argument. And dare i say, Without slaughter of the soul by at the gates, we would probably wouldnt have the whole metal-core, trivium esque bands. Sure the older bands probably made them play their instruments but at the gates started off a whole new way of playing metal. No other band did it like them.

Bands like Death and Morbid Angel started in the late 80s but completely dominated in the 90s.

angelofdeath9308 said:
the 60s had Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, the 70s had Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, and the 80s had Metallica Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. But what band (or bands) do you think represent the 90s? I'm reluctant to say Nirvana because I think they lean more to the punk than the metal side. Or maybe there was no single band...
Um, if you're talking about bands in the league (of representing the musical culture of a decade) of Sabbath, Zeppelin, Priest, etc. then Opeth is really not in the running at all. Not that they aren't as good as those bands, but they're extremely obscure and underground.

For the 90s...hell I don't know, Rage Against the Machine, Tool, Porcupine Tree...who knows.

Oh and Sabbath and Zeppelin were both 70s bands. They formed in '69/'70. A better 60s band would be The Who or better yet The Beatles.

I guess because of releasing the first real New Metall Album, KoRn should be mentioned. I know all of their other albums suck, but their debut is still a good album. Also Rage against the machine! I gues there is no doubt, that they are a '90 Band.

Jude said:
Oh and Sabbath and Zeppelin were both 70s bands. They formed in '69/'70. A better 60s band would be The Who or better yet The Beatles.

Sabbath formed in '66. Zeppelin formed in '68.

LadyValerie said:

But I, at least, understood that we're talking about on which decade the bands made their biggest impact. As I said earlier, these bands' debuts came out in ´69 and ´70, and they are definitely to be considered as 70's bands.

annt said:
But I, at least, understood that we're talking about on which decade the bands made their biggest impact. As I said earlier, these bands' debuts came out in ´69 and ´70, and they are definitely to be considered as 70's bands.

Oh I know, I understand that as well. I was just correcting you :)

LadyValerie said:
I was talking about their debut albums. You know what I meant, no need to nitpick.

blimey said:
NothankyoU.

Look, I'm not expecting and hoping to anyone here in this forum agrees every fucking time I say something.
I said that, just because in my country they were a huge and respected band and whatever you think or EVERYONE can say, they inspired a legion of fans AND bands. And that's important doesn't matter if you agree or not.
Not to mention that is MY OPINION as you have yours, something that most of you doesn't seem to understand and of course I'm not willing to agree with anyone and -of course- not even you.

I'll base my picks on popularity and influence: Rage (kicked off rap-rock), NIN (not the first, but represented industrial well), Nirvana (obvious reasons), Radiohead (based on friends opinions), and Tool.

I doubt that in decades to come their will be one band that is the consensus for the band of the decade. They'll never be another beatles or zeppelin in terms of popularity (that lasts mind you).

Tool and Rage are both good 90's candidates. Nirvana might be, but ended too early.