EXODUS - Shovel Headed Killing Machine

Liam Thompson

Lord of the Strings
Jan 13, 2004
Sunderland, England
www.avenger-uk.com
Andy could you let me know what amps where used and guitars/pickups where used on the new album, the rhythm guitar sounds class, really thick. Was it the modded JCM 800 again?

Was it just two tracks (one left, one right) of rhythm guitar like on Tempo?

Also good to here Paul Bostaph back kicking some ass!

I'm really enjoying the new album, hoping there will be some bonus goodies or digipack version on release.

I think this time it was actually a Peavey XXX, I don't know what guitars or pups it was though?!

A friend told me that the xxx was peavey's Mesa clone. Anyone know if this is true? I checked out those clips of the VHT vs. XXX that were posted recently, and i was really impressed with the XXX's tone. Plus when i saw Nevermore touring for Enemies, Jeff Loomis was using one and it sounded cool. I just wonder if you can get the heavy bottom end like a mesa though. it'd be cool to A/B the 2 amps. I do remember trying one out before i got my new Mesa, and I wasn't too impressed, but i was coming out of about 8 yrs of Triaxis/2:90 abuse.

actually i'm thinking about getting a XXX instead of a 5150. the pro's are that jeff loomis used one when i saw nevermore live back in 2003, and his tone SLAYED steve's triple recto rig...it was a rather small show so i could actually hear the backline.
i actually played one about a year ago, but honestly i don't remember how it sounded...lol.
the con's: MANY people say that the XXX sounds "fake" and "solid state". not even close to the organic tones one can dial in on a mesa. but then again, even though the mesa has very interactive tone controls, the XXX has ACTIVE tone controls with a +-15db range iirc, so dialing it in should take some time ;)

andy, what's your opinion? :)

Where She Wept said:
A friend told me that the xxx was peavey's Mesa clone. Anyone know if this is true?

Eh, they're vaguely similar, but the XXX is still more Peavey than anything. It's the updated version of their old Ultra Plus head. The XXX does get alot of Recto comparisons, though. I remember the Ultra Plus sounding more Recto than 5150, but it's been years since I played through one. Never tried the XXX myself.

Where She Wept said:
A friend told me that the xxx was peavey's Mesa clone.

I think last Blaze's Blood and Belief was triplexxx, that is the sound of triplexxx.
Fozzy's all that remains is triplexxx too.
It's a fat tone but not really the same as mesa, I think because of its bias set very cold as the guy of www.eurotubes.co says, it's really a peavey tone, very dirty, very rock sound.

Maurizio

mesa 2ch dual rectifier and krank revolution head, 2 tracks of each.

by the way: maybe the tripleXXX comes with the bias set quite cold, but i'm willing to bet my left ball that the rectifiers are also biased as cold, if not even more.
it seems to be a trend nowadays to ship tube amps with the bias set way too cold. mesa does it, peavey does it, even framus does it (the framus cobra comes with a REALLY cold bias setting. warm it up and it's a recto killer, i swear.).

I've listened to TGE a lot and can't hear the DR at all. Are settings and signal chains posted anywhere? :headbang:

kp-

TOTD tone owns SHKM, IMO. TOTD overall has to be close to the perfect modern production approach for that old school thrash sound. I mean it just sounds very 'state of the art' ..but it still retains the thrash vibe perfectly.

"Hey colin but that triple xxx was with 6l6 or el34 ????
It sounds very british, I mean seems it's loaded with el34"
VERY interesting question! hopefully we can get an answer to this one

"TOTD tone owns SHKM, IMO. TOTD overall has to be close to the perfect modern production approach for that old school thrash sound. I mean it just sounds very 'state of the art' ..but it still retains the thrash vibe perfectly."

while i agree that TOTD sound incredible, SHKM doesn't sound any worse imho. just different. definitely a more "modern" tone which fits the music well. also, what i like about SHKM is that there's a certain "snap" to the low notes. a very good example is the main riff of deathamphetamine. when this riff first appears, there's only one guitar playing it, with the other instruments only playing accents, so it can be heared very clearly. the low notes sound very open and bright, without being thing.

but regarding the TOTD tone...dude, in all seriousness, get an emg81 loaded guitar, a marshall jcm 2210, put a tubescreamer in front, and you've got 90% of that tone NAILED - the rest is in gary's fingers and style. but this setup gets you VERY VERY close, trust me

Fragle said:
but regarding the TOTD tone...dude, in all seriousness, get an emg81 loaded guitar, a marshall jcm 2210, put a tubescreamer in front, and you've got 90% of that tone NAILED - the rest is in gary's fingers and style. but this setup gets you VERY VERY close, trust me
Funny thing is, if I am remembering correctly that album was recorded with EMG-HZ pups. :D To be honest I like HZs too, they are just different than what you expect from EMGs. Not my favorite pups definitely, but I wouldn't mind keeping a guitar stock with HZs. I think most of the people are disappointed with EMG-HZs because:

1. They don't sound like active EMGs. People expect them to, but they don't really...

2. They are stock pickups in Jackson's imports(so they must be bad... :loco: ), also people place them to the same level as Duncan Designed usually(which in my opinion suck, no question...). Which is again wrong, because that is what EMG Select is. HZs are just passive EMG pickups, not necessarily second tier. So for this reason people are pre-programmed to change them anyways, they never give those pups an honest try.

3. Alexi Laiho uses them. :devil: (I hate him too)

:headbang: