Expanding my musical horizons

RE: Life_Sucks, seeking to expand catalog...within the confines of depressive noise.

try Sentenced. should be right up your alley.

Also Interpol is one of the best indie band I've listen to, good voice (guy), nice rhythm section for the genre and catchy bass/guitar. They ate quite on the unhappy side of things especially on the album the Antics, not your typical party balloon/soap bubble type of indie band.

Oh course, I second this. Very dark. I will send you an album if you pm me.

Number 3 takes out a ton of good non-metal. I dont get it, are you looking for non-metal?

Panda Bear
Elliott Smith is downbeat as fuck but violates number 3
Yes, I am well aware that number three takes out a lot of non-metal, but it is a VERY important part of my request. I'm looking for bands that meet the criteria I stated. I knew this wasn't going to be an easy request. Yes, I am looking for non metal, since I don't listen to any non metal at all. Non metal WITH NO GIRLS/RELATIONSHIPS LYRICS is great, if you know of any.

CKY might not be what you're looking for but give them a go.

If you look closely, Deron (the vocalist/guitarist) is wearing an Immolation shirt and their album Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild is dedicated to Chuck Schuldiner.

If you've ever watched the MTV show Jackass more than once, you probably heard this song:

Rio Bravo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good recs. I'll check them out. I should definitely be digging the instrumental ones. In college, I had a roommate who liked 70s rock, and he had some instrumental stuff I dug, like Guru Guru and Mahavishu Orchestra. If anyone knows of any instrumental or no-girly-lyrics 70s prog, let me know.

This no-girly-lyrics shit makes you seem incredibly faux-macho like, and I'm sensing gay vibes as a result.

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori.
I don't know if this is the kind of stuff you're looking for. This band is pretty much proto-metal somewhat similar to early Black Sabbath.

I'm heavily into the post-rock scene (but some of it crosses into indie which I'm not a big fan of).

Check these bands out:

Red Sparowes
Pelican
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Hella
Don Cabellero
Jaga Jazzist
Maudlin of the Well
Mono

...some of those bands may be too "happy" sounding for your tastes but most of those bands are instrumental and make very epic and atmospheric music.

I'm sure LifeSucks has heard (and loves) Void of Silence

have you heard Fen, LS? Fen is a black metal band very much similar to Agalloch, Negura Bunget and Enslaved. definitely worth a look

Rabid and Thoth:

You guys should add this to that thread of nerdiest things you've ever done, :loco:

Also, LifeSucks, you should check out The Tea Party. They're a Canadian hard rock band. I think you'd dig them, they play really dark stuff.

Check out these albums:
The Edges of Twilight
Transmission (I'd say try either this one or Edges first)
Triptych
The Interzone Mantras
Seven Circles (maybe... definitely not first though)

Temptation
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=cFzQX2i6mwo&feature=related[/ame]

The Bazaar
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=JCye7v79Tz0&feature=related[/ame]

Walking Wounded (this video's a little out of sync)
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=WCwrQSe9m4c&feature=related[/ame]