Explain Impulses for Me

rchoi54

Sep 5, 2009
Lansing/Ann Arbor, Michigan
So I am now getting into the world of virtual amping and I came across a concept of impulse responses.

I've done a little research, but I just don't understand how it works.
I know that it's better to use Impulses rather than virtual cabs, and.. I would just like it if ANYONE at all could spend 2 minutes explaining it.

Thanks,
Grape

myspace.com/grapestudio

ugh

right take your clean signal (not cabinet processed) let it sit there.

take pink noise or white noise or something (i forget which one) its a signal full of every freq or something (i dont remember from college - it was like 2 years ago when i learned it) - run it through your cab and record it and you have an impulse. its the tone of your cabinet. take that impulse and run it through an application. play your unprocessed signal through that impulse and you get the sound of an cab and mic (including speakers and shit)

so take a raw signal from eg a peavey head (not cab) record it, run it through a mesa oversized impulse which was mic'd with a 57 and you get the sound of a peavey going through a mesa oversized recorded by a 57

lads if thats not it dont slate me...i couldn't give a shit - i know how to use impulses and there are fuckin shit loads of em on the net, i never plan to make em so i dont really care

thats what i understand from it anyway

Right impulses:

Well that's when your driving along and you come across a music store...

Well naturally you go inside and check it out only to see a fucking sweet ass guitar...

Well naturally you get the impulse to buy that fucker on the spot putting your paying of the rent in Jeopardy or blowing up your credit card.

Can't believe you have never heard of impulses? You never just all of a sudden felt like fuckin your girl or blowing it on her face?

ugh

lads if thats not it dont slate me...i couldn't give a shit

Why the fed-up, world-weary sounding start if you don't care? Especially as your knowledge of the whole thing seems pretty slim.

Impulses and convolution are actually quite an old techniques in general - it's just the cab sim thing that's a new(er) use for it. Essentially it's a way to record the sound of a certain space/room.

Traditionally, you put a bunch of microphones around your room; say one close, one 5ft back, one 10ft back. Then you record a wide-band, easily reproducible sound (usually a starting pistol being fired or a balloon being popped) through your mics. You end up with the sound of a gunshot in your room - technically called a convolution as it's the combination of two functions (the source sound and the room).

You then take a sample of your gunshot recorded in a room with no reverb sound (an anechoic chamber ideally).

You then essentially take the room recording (the big reverby one) and subtract the source (the dead, no reverb version) - that process is called deconvolution. What you're left with is an impulse - the way it reacts to different frequencies over time at a specific point in space. Each of your three mics will sound different, as the sound takes different times to reach them, and there will be different reflections affecting them etc.

That's how reverbs used to be modelled on some early rack gear, before computers were used to just work out the maths instead. They're really good for big, echo-ey rooms like theatres and churches, and can make drum tracks sound enormous. Oddly enough, people now create impulses of the reverb units because they sounded good...

Then some bright spark had the idea of doing the same thing with guitar cabs. Instead of a gunshot/balloon/whatever, you normally use either a sine wave continuously increasing in pitch (although pink noise would probably work as it's equal energy per octave) and play it through the cab via a poweramp. Then when you deconvolve it, you can use exactly the same source (so it's really accurate), and you end up with the sound of the cab. The only problem with the results is that they're very static and one-dimensional - there's no dynamics as your cab is being pushed at the same level the whole time.

And that's where Nebula comes in - Nebula 3 programs use several source sounds (a sine wave at different volumes) to create impulses which are more dynamic. The theory is that it can react differently depending on the volume of the input, so if you play gently it mostly uses an impulse created at low volume so the speakers are hardly moving; if you play heavy it uses one of the louder impulses where the speakers are really moving some air.

Steve

-noun
1. the influence of a particular feeling, mental state, etc.: to act under a generous impulse; to strike out at someone from an angry impulse.
2. sudden, involuntary inclination prompting to action: to be swayed by impulse.
3. an instance of this.
4. a psychic drive or instinctual urge.
5. an impelling action or force, driving onward or inducing motion.
6. the effect of an impelling force; motion induced; impetus given.
7. Physiology. a progressive wave of excitation over a nerve or muscle fiber, having either a stimulating or inhibitory effect.
8. Mechanics. the product of the average force acting upon a body and the time during which it acts, equivalent to the change in the momentum of the body produced by such a force.
9. Electricity. a single, usually sudden, flow of current in one direction.
–adjective
10. marked by or acting on impulse: an impulse buyer.
11. bought or acquired on impulse: To reduce expenses, shun impulse items when shopping.

Request for a ban on all topics relating to presets and topics asking what impulses are or where to find them.

Nah, that's not necessary - I just think the thread should have been locked after Opeth57's response! ;)