F@ck You AVID.....need new ADAT interface...

C_F_H_13

Protools Guru
Mar 21, 2006
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
So I have begun the process of learning cubase. So far so good, and while I'll never ever not use PT everyday, it's nice to know another piece of software for non realtime bounces and VST...

Today I thought it'd be sweet to try running cubase as my DAW while I mixed at a local SSL studio. Installed everything, and low and behold, Avid's core audio engine won't let Cubase/3rd party DAW's see more then 8 in/8 out off of an HD rig.

Totally fucking lame...even for Avid. So my plan now is to buy a 24, 36, or 48 ADAT interface and feed the 192s. I've looked at the Maudio lightbridge and some of the RME stuff....

Anyone have any ideas for another interface or can anyone share some insight into the reliability of the lightbridge?

I'm not sure how great the options are for what you want, but definitely a +1 to RME from my end too. My HDSPe/Multiface and ADI-8 have been flawless so far. Rock solid reliability.

yeah I know it's hard to justify the money too when I can pick up a lightbridge or presonus adat thing which each have 32 i/o ADAT for 400-500 dollars.....

Ok so I've misread what you were wanting - an ADAT -> computer interface, more or less. Is firewire a must, or can you go PCI? PCI is the only option with RME for that kind of thing, unfortunately, unless you can deal with 10 analog ins and 2 adat + 1 spdif ins. The M-Audio or Presonus would probably do just fine if the drivers are stable.

i have been using a lightbridge since it first came out and i have not had one problem with it. i use it everyday with my macbook pro and i used to use it with a dell laptop with windows xp when i first got it. i have read a lot where people had a lot of issues with it but for some reason mine has always worked from day one without any problems. i use it as my pro tools m-powered interface so i am not sure how it works with cubase.