F(r)iend & production

IcedFlames

Feb 21, 2004
Columbus, OH
www.myspace.com
I have listened to every song from every In Flames album (except STYE), and when I heard "F(r)iend", I noticed something different. (I got a little impatient, went against my better judgement, and listened to tracks 1-8 of STYE). I noticed that there is a harmonic. Now.. being very familiar with their old stuff and new stuff, I have NEVER noticed a harmonic in their music before. I've come to the conclusion that, as of right now, that is the only harmonic ever in an In Flames song. Is there a harmonic I've missed in the past, or many?

Also, am I alone in believing that this album was poorly produced? I am definitely pro-sound-evolving and letting them write their own stuff and such, but.. give up these producers. They did a sub par job on R2R, and now STYE. Please bring back Fredrik Nordstrom. There are guitar parts on this album I have to really turn the volume up to hear, and overall, I really don't care for the production that much in its own, personally. What do you all think?

The harmonics you have hard have been used sparely in the past.. mostly on R2r and Clayman... before that I do not know.... the production for this album is true garbage.. but from what i've heard other than the Quiet Place, it is a decent enough album... nothing liek the past, but not terrible.

More Old School Production Going On Where Everythings Real Crisp And Clean. Which I Like But I Actually Think This Giving Inflames A Little More Distinction Because Its Real Kinda Dirty , Muddy Sound. I Like It Either Way, But I Am Curious To What It Would Sound Like At Fredman.

I liked most of what I heard. Broken, Boarders and Shading and Superhero of the Computer Age struck me the most. But I hate to say it but A quiet place reminded me of lincoln park. Don't get me wrong im not saying that the song is exactly like linkin park it just reminded me of them thats all. But its a good cd only 1 song I hate, the rest I like alot. All and all I will be buying this cd and looking forward to seeing In Flames live.

IcedFlames said:
Though I like Reroute and STYE both, I would really have liked to hear how they would've came out with Nordstrom at Fredman. Anyone else agree?
yeah maybe I would have enjoyed a total of 1 or 2 songs of those cds if you actually would be able to hear what they were playing :p

i listened to the first promo and wasn't super impressed with the production. I'm gonna get a good listen to the rest of the album in the next few days....

and COBSteele02, you use your own webspace for images

I imagine the fact that almost everyone who has heard the album has been listening to shitty MP3 conversions probably has something to do with the sound quality. I'm not saying it's going to be perfect on CD compared to your expectations, but probably better.

The mp3 conversion isn't going to make the production sound better or worse. Modern encoders are too good for that. What is much more likely to make a difference is listening through dodgy computer speakers rather than a hi-fi.

As far as I'm concerned the production on STYE is amazing. Far more polished and tighter than any of their earlier stuff.

Oscar said:
The mp3 conversion isn't going to make the production sound better or worse. Modern encoders are too good for that. What is much more likely to make a difference is listening through dodgy computer speakers rather than a hi-fi.

As far as I'm concerned the production on STYE is amazing. Far more polished and tighter than any of their earlier stuff.
I wouldn't agree there. The most polished In Flames album is (at least for me) Clayman. I really love the production there. It's outstanding, if you ask me.

On r2r and STYE, the production isn't that clear. Yes, they've mixed up a lot of electronics, Anders also uses more styles/filters, but it's just too much. I love the clearness, may be, simplicity of Clayman. I also love STYE, but think the production's worse.