Facts/pictures about your country

Tuuletar

Amokala
Dec 16, 2012
Finland
wolverica.deviantart.com
So, do you have any interesting facts about your country or town where you live in? :) Might be nice to read what kind of places people live in.

I think that eastern Finland has very beautiful nature, with lots of lakes, wood-and marshlands and high hills - probably not a wonder why there are pretty much national parks as well.
All of the places below are located in Lieksa region in North Karelia. The photos are taken at my trips in May 2010 & 2011 and this July.

Nature reserve of Ruunaa, famous for it's wild rapids (and rafting as well).

blue_stream_by_wolverica-d3_zpseddf4863.jpg

paljon_on_koskessa_kivia_by_zpsbd0ba1a7.jpg

Marshland area in the Patvinsuo national park.

Patvinsuo_by_Wolverica_zpsee5b8d80.jpg

National park of Koli and the surrounding area. Koli is famous for this view from Ukko-Koli, the highest hill in eastern Finland.

the_beginning_of_times_by_w_zps7258991a.jpg

Tameless_by_Wolverica_zps24f286ad.jpg

forest_stream_by_wolverica-_zps87f4acc2.jpg

House_of_Sleep_by_Wolverica_zps2190306d.jpg

Koli area seen from the top of another hill.

Into-the-wild_zpscf44dd8a.jpg

IMG_8934_zpsae5fb933.jpg

Hattusaari island (near Koli)

__i_went_to_wash_at_the_sho_zpsabcab795.jpg

spring_memories_by_wolveric_zpsfb0678c5.jpg

Nature reserve of Lake Ritojärvi, lots of pine woods and small lakes.

Canyon_zps14479bde.jpg

This cave called Pirunkirkko is located near Koli. Cool name, since it means "The Devil's Church" :devil:

Untitled-1_zps3fc0eb59.jpg

Nice photos. I've only seen parts of Finland - towns mostly, since I have to use the public transportation, but one day will probably get to the national parks as well :) I like it a lot because it is so different from my country and because I like water (and you have plenty). But, then again we have proper mountains (and quite a bit of them) and varied landscapes.

I'll dig up some photos from Bulgaria one of these days and will post them here ;)

Here're several I came across just now. - By the boyfriend of a friend - he takes really good pics

Pirin national park

577481_3635147484652_835846343_n.jpg

150787_3635142284522_2137517122_n.jpg

150733_3635141204495_1362000731_n.jpg

394686_4001544884358_434605366_n.jpg

396138_4001545524374_1208564428_n.jpg

Beglika dam, Rhodope mountains

380389_10151106936264250_734246032_n.jpg

552074_10151106939884250_708697586_n.jpg

Karadere - one of the last wild beaches.

488211_4140969769893_1091983564_n.jpg

292372_4140971969948_1561990036_n.jpg

I will post some of mine as well, but they're from more easily accessible places ;)

Have to resize a few of my pics from the area. Don't know what to say about Los Angeles/Orange County that hasn't been said already 1,000 times. Other than the celebrities, the wealth, the beaches, the freeways, and 18m people in one big metro area 4% the size of Finland this place is pretty ordinary.

Second and third from the bottom are closest to the California I remember, but I lived some 600 km further up north, whatever that is in miles. Marin County in particular has some pretty magical places to offer.

As for Helsinki, I never run out of reasons why I wouldn't wanna live anywhere else, but one of its most timeless assets is the sea - this little island for example is just a short walk from my place and it's not even the closest.
pukkisaari.jpg

But you do get some noisy neighbors in that 'hood...

lokki.jpg

@Trin: how far is that national park from Sofia, any chances of visiting it next time I'm in Bulgaria? (no concrete plans for it yet, but those pics look tempting...)

@Trin: how far is that national park from Sofia, any chances of visiting it next time I'm in Bulgaria? (no concrete plans for it yet, but those pics look tempting...)

Not too far - around 150 km south of Sofia. There's some serious hiking to get up in the parts in the photos, but we'll arrange something. Either I'll get fit enough, or I'll introduce you to this bunch who will love to have you for a weekend in the mountains ;)

@Tuonelan: Do you have the Joshua tree pic in larger size - I'd like to put it as a desktop? :saint:

Beautiful places!

Now some from my hometown. Kouvola is located in southeastern Finland by the River Kymijoki. I have got used to all those jokes about "the stone town" and concrete buildings of the centre, because they don't tell everything, hehe. I have always lived close to nature, since this forest pond is pretty close to my home. When I was a child, me and my parents used to go for a picnic to a small beach by the pond.

lampi2_zps6369d840.jpg

Silent_land_by_Wolverica_zps62494244.jpg

Two_worlds_by_Wolverica_zps9160f1af.jpg

talvi_zps903979ae.jpg

mustarastas_by_wolverica-d3gwvsh_zps5295a5eb.jpg

Seasons at the pond:

vuodenajat_zpsd6db406b.jpg

And swans have lived at another pond almost for ten years...

Family_portrait_by_Wolveric_zpsc210a695.jpg

Scenery from Hiidenvuori ("The Devil's Mountain")

IMG_3593_zps812ce5e5.jpg

Repovesi national park (funny thing is that I have been wandering in Karelia many times, but never visited Repovesi; maybe because it's just too close! :lol: So the next pics aren't taken by me, but I wanted to introduce this place anyway.)
It's said that Olhava hill is a good place for rock climbing:
Olhava-Repovedenkansallispuisto42044_zps9c62c7f0.jpg

repovesi_zps10d5c58b.jpg

Oh yes, and local food! Vety is a special kind of meat pie from Lappeenranta (big town in southeastern Finland), there are sausage, boiled egg, pickled cucumber-salad, mayonnaise and mustard. There is also atomi, but it has only sausage or egg. I definitely prefer vety...

vety260809_zpsabe3f30f.jpg

And here's where I lived as a kid, although most of the time it looked much less spectacular (this being tonight's view from my former bedroom, nowadays my mom's office):
iltataivas_291212.jpg

Awesome totally kick ass thread idea, Karhu approves! Great pics from all of you. :heh:

Locally? Well Minnesota is very similar to Finland/Scandinavia. "Land of 10,000 Lakes". I have thousands of photos so I'll start simple and maybe more unique to the area.

Duluth and the north shore have been a hot spot:

NorthShore0_zpscbc1e4e5.jpg

NorthShore2_zpsa84a5939.jpg

[sorts out a bunch of photos]

:headbang:

Here are my photos from Western Finland. My english isn´t so good, so lets hope you take the point. :)

These two are taken when the first snow came in october 25th.
1.JPG

2.JPG

Second two are taken from where I lived as a child, and where I still visit many times in a year. The best place in the world. Open see.

3.JPG

This is almost from my dad´s door

4.JPG

There are old cairns, one kind of old sea marks, in 10 minutes boat trip.

This one is from my mothers “backyard”, about 5 minutes walking from. Graves from Bronze Age. Teenager own place when living there.
5.JPG

From an hour or two from my door there is hiking routes Kuhankuono, a big complex of natural and national parks, primeval forest, swamps etc.

Kuhankuono and Vajosuo at the summer...
6.JPG

... and autumn
8.JPG

Here is the same place, before and after first snow. Time between these two pics is five days.
9.JPG

10.JPG

This pic is here because the area (at the Kuhankuono) is called Koivusaari. :worship: Because of the islet full of birch among the laaaaarge swamps and stunted pine trees.
11.JPG

One gay I met on my trip:
12.JPG

Every autumn I carry all these berrys to my freezer.
13.JPG

This is from our midwinter trek, phonecam shoot.
Kuva0039.jpg

These two are taken when the first snow came in october 25th.
The whole set of pics is awesome, but the second of these two is my favorite of them all.
Clap_Hands.gif

Tiiti said:
This pic is here because the area (at the Kuhankuono) is called Koivusaari.
We have an island of that name, too, but its future looks rather unpromising...
Thumbs_down.gif

Tiiti said:
This is from our midwinter trek, phonecam shoot.
Is that an Iceland pony you're riding there?
Heart.gif

Oh, and
Heart.gif
to Tuuletar's swan family, too!
Classic_Smiley.gif

We have an island of that name, too, but its future looks rather unpromising...
Thumbs_down.gif

Yeah, right. Kind of The Lutakko Case in Jyväskylä. When they started to "develop" the area, the big quys wanted to crush also the Tanssisali Lutakko and all the old buildings and make some new fancy staff there. But hell yeah, there Tanssisali stands, and is protected building.

I don´t understant why all these areas near towns which have beautiful nature, need to turn such a concrete and glass and money.

Eurynome said:
Is that an Iceland pony you're riding there?
Heart.gif

No, He is puoliverinen, birth in Russia.
Our half-blooded prince. :)

More North Shore pics by Duluth:

NorthShore1_zps0dd4033d.jpg

Loons swimming in background:
NorthShore3_zps4c9bde22.jpg

We don't have huge mountains, but the terrain is quite varied from north to south. St. Croix River valley:
2000TaylorsFallsHike1_zps4d59f808.jpg

FrontenacHike1_zpsa539ef88.jpg

Southern Minnesota is flat prairie country. Here's me throwing an atlatl (primitive javelin) at a buffalo target at Jeffers State Park:
Jeffers1_zps2c7bb3d5.jpg

And petroglyphs from native americans:
Jeffers2_zps03dcbcd3.jpg

And not far from home I discovered a hidden pond that the beavers dammed up. It killed the trees that were growing there but now it is a Great Blue Heron rookery. There were dozens of nests in the dead trees. It felt like some sort of scene from Lord of The Rings:
Rookery3_zps1deac40c.jpg

Rookery1_zps15b763bf.jpg

Rookery2_zps81d46568.jpg