Fantastic new prog band POWER OF OMENS!

Mr. Shred-ididle

Its Chinese-Tilt ya' head
Jan 25, 2003
I've recently foung these guys out

These guys are one of progs brightest new potential along with Adagio, Andromeda, Sun Caged and Zero Hour.

There very complex prog-metal. Sometimes even technical (Watchtower, Spiral Architect)

The drumming is very technical odd-time, even sometimes sounds abit "tribal" very cool and original.

The guitarist has the exact same type of guitar model as me!!!! Ibanez 7-string RG. He playes some very proggy, tight, technical riffs and does some spectacular shred runs. Very cool. He's not a Yngwie, Pretucci, or Romeo clone as he actually is influenced by flaminco.

The vocals remind me of Geoff Tate sometimes. Its high-pitched, yeah but still powerfull.

There latest album "Rooms of Anguish" is definately in my MUST GET lists.

Go on there website and you can download heaps of MP3's www.powerofomens.com
My top picks are "As Winter Falls" and "With These Words"

I've noticed a few SX posters on their forum here at UM.

Just thought I'll give some of you guys some good new music:headbang:

Ooooh, sounds like something good. Thanks Mr. S. I'm gonna check it out. After the Redemption letdown , :yuk: I need a lift. :rolleyes:

This is my fav part of this Forum.
I've been turned on to some really good bands by you elitist Progmetalheads :p :yow: HeHe :oops:

From everything I have heard from PoO I am sorry to say I don't get it,becuase they guys are very cool. I just cannot get into the music, I think the singer tries way way to hard , to the point of straining his vocals. Also while alot of people seem to comment about how great the drummer is, it seems like to me that he is way way to busy and everything seems to get caught up in a cacaphony. I do like Dave's guitars, that is the one bright spot. Maybe it will catch on later, but as of now I can get into it.

As for Redemption, I think they kick heap loads of ass and I am expecting people to be blown away when Corey Brown get's on the next Redemption cd.

Bear

Bear said:
As for Redemption, I think they kick heap loads of ass and I am expecting people to be blown away when Corey Brown get's on the next Redemption cd.
Bear

Maybe this is what REALLY turned me off (the vocals just don't fit the music....or the lyrics :zombie: ) ????

The new Power Of Omens is a great album, and a considerable improvement over Oracle IMO. The original post accurately described the band's strengths and how they distinguish themselves from other bands...
As for Redemption, I will order their album within the next few days...I heard the 24-minute epic Something Wicked... last night, and it crushes...

For the record, Power of Omens isn't new..their debut cd 'Eyes of the Oracle' came out 5 years ago (and is a must have as well, if you can find it..)..glad you're diggin em though!!! :)

Like mentioned above, it is the vocals that kill the music for me. They are not only high pitched but strained and whiny as well. A mid range vocalist would be much better for the band imo.

I bought the debut 4 or 5 years ago and I didn't really appreciate it at first except the magnificent 19 minute epic Test of Wills which is worth the price of the album. The vocals were annoying at times but they did grow on after a while but it's not the best singing I've heard, that's for sure. He sounds so much like Geoff Tate when he really goes for the high notes and also the very low tones. The debut is a concept album or so it seems as some of the riffs reoccur during the album.