Fates Warning, a possibility for PPVI?

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I've been thinking, as most of you have, about possibilites for ProgPower VI. Fates Warning comes to mind for me every time! We all know how Glenn likes to surprise us, or throw curve balls at us each year! So why not the veterans, Fates Warning? I think this for several reasons. First, Jim Matheos was a guest at ProgPower a couple of years ago. Secondly, Fates Warning has never played the festival. Third, they have a new release. Lastly, they definitely have enough material and stature to be a headliner! Edgeofthorns is thinking that odds are, Fates Warning will be playing ProgPower VI! In addition, I'll ask you these two questions. Do you think Fates Warning should play the festival? I think Fates Warning has been one of the main influences of the best genre of music in the world, progressive metal. Do you agree or disagree?

Yes and Yes!

P.S. To my knowledge, Ray Alder has appeared as a PP guest (PP IV) with Redemption, but never Jim Matheos.

Seeing Redemption return with Ray on vox for the new CD would be killer if FW isn't on the bill.

Not having FW at pp is like not having Babe Ruth in the Hall of Fame. For the life of me I can not understand why they have not been there allready. I saw them when they came thru Atlanta with Dream Theater and Queensryche. The set was short, but they made the most of it. I would love to see then headline this show.

How do you make the greatest show on earth(pp) even better?
Answer: Fates Warning / Even better ? ..Fates Warning with Mark Zonder and Frank Aresti / Even better?,,,,throw Kevin Moore in...now that's just dreaming.

At some point, you would think that Fates would have an honored slot at PPUSA...but I suppose it depends on the band, their management, Glenn's ability to negotiate with them and their management, and simple logistics at the given time.

After saying all that...I also wish to say that I would love to see Fates headline a night at PPUSA.

Rock on!

Fates Warning would be an AMAZING pick for PP6, especially with their new album.
also on a sadder note, judging from the lyrics to "Handful of Doubt" this could be one of the last chances to see them as they are now.

FatesFan said:
How do you make the greatest show on earth(pp) even better? Answer: Fates Warning / Even better ? ..Fates Warning with Mark Zonder and Frank Aresti / Even better?,,,,throw Kevin Moore in...now that's just dreaming.
Even better....with John Arch... :headbang:

Yeah well Ray has been close to teh fest since the begining, he is well aware of it and I am sure that Fates has been offered a spot before. I think its all up to Matheos and their tour plans, we shall see. I personaly would love to see them , I think they would be the ultimate PPUSA headliner. Aresti is going back on tour with them too!!!!

Bear

I don't think they should get a spot, simply because they haven't been putting out anything of good quality. The influential decription is a throwback to 1986. They haven't been influential since then and Matheos hasn't written anything of value in at least 10 years. They are riding the decline period of their career, as is Queensryche. Mark Zonder was the only reason why I was listening to them after all this time and now he's leaving. In my eyes, FW is done, even if they stay together.

The OSI thing was great, however.

sknight said:
I don't think they should get a spot, simply because they haven't been putting out anything of good quality. The influential decription is a throwback to 1986. They haven't been influential since then and Matheos hasn't written anything of value in at least 10 years. They are riding the decline period of their career, as is Queensryche. Mark Zonder was the only reason why I was listening to them after all this time and now he's leaving. In my eyes, FW is done, even if they stay together.

Dude, if you don't think A Pleasant Shade of Gray isn't influential to the genre, then I don't know what planet you've been living on! I think you're dead wrong in your analysis! As for Queensryche, I totally agree with you, but you can't possibly say that Fates Warning hasn't been putting out quality music for the last 10 years!

edgeofthorns said:
Dude, if you don't think A Pleasant Shade of Gray isn't influential to the genre, then I don't know what planet you've been living on! I think you're dead wrong in your analysis! As for Queensryche, I totally agree with you, but you can't possibly say that Fates Warning hasn't been putting out quality music for the last 10 years!

I could not agree more. Pleasent Shade of Gray is an amazing album.

I have offered Fates a slot ever since PP II. I have never even gotten to a negotiations level with them. I have always been told that it "would make sense if we are doing a tour around then" and it gets left at that. With me booking bands as early as eight months in advance, it's not going to happen. Fates simply will not commit as early as I require.

What sucks is that they are stuck in a box in the U.S. They can either open a tour and play 30 mins in front of 1,000-3,000 fans or play a headline show in a small club for 100-300 people. I dare say that PP is the only avenue where they can play a proper headline show in the U.S. and get the respect and adoration that they deserve.

Too bad....

Glenn H.

Glenn, those are the kind of tidbits that I find really interesting. I hope you share more of that sort of thing (or really put out the book you've mentioned).

Steve in Philly

sknight said:

FWX is an awesome cd, if you don't think so, thats cool but to say they haven't been putting anything out of good quality is simply wrong.. Zonder is not leaving the band, just not touring with them, not that they tour much anyways.

Bear

FW has not been the superstar band they have been in the past. Who knows if they could be an artist at PP, or not, Glenn has always came through. I am not speaking on Glenn's behalf by any menas. The only thing Glenn knows about me is that I cause him trouble and am an Accept fan, but I have to say one thing about Glenn is that he puts together quality shows.
There is not ONE person more demanding and controlling on this whole damned forum, but Glenn does such a fine job, I let him wield his magic. I for one will probably appreciate his selections. At the same time, I am not sucking up to him. He seriously needs to borrow a t-shirt from me and grow a little hair, but hey..... Glenn is Glenn. Without him, this wouldn't exist (Prog Power USA) and I am honored to have met him.

Bryant

OMG, if they play I will truly weep. For years I have always wanted to see them play and it's never happened. The worst being a year ago when I flew to Chicago to see them on the FW/QR/DT tour and due to traffic and parking issues I missed seeing them on stage. As I was in line I could hear Ray singing when I got in they had cleared the stage.

Please God have mercy on me!!!!!

BABS said:
OMG, if they play I will truly weep. For years I have always wanted to see them play and it's never happened. The worst being a year ago when I flew to Chicago to see them on the FW/QR/DT tour and due to traffic and parking issues I missed seeing them on stage. As I was in line I could hear Ray singing when I got in they had cleared the stage.

Please God have mercy on me!!!!!

Babs,

I saw that tour in Atlanta and FW was awsome. Would have been better with Mark zonder, but was still awsome none the less. I am 99% sure that the additional guitar player on stage was Frank Aresti of previous FW fame. It was a short set but they knocked it out.

Harvester said:
I have offered Fates a slot ever since PP II. I have never even gotten to a negotiations level with them. I have always been told that it "would make sense if we are doing a tour around then" and it gets left at that. With me booking bands as early as eight months in advance, it's not going to happen. Fates simply will not commit as early as I require.

What sucks is that they are stuck in a box in the U.S. They can either open a tour and play 30 mins in front of 1,000-3,000 fans or play a headline show in a small club for 100-300 people. I dare say that PP is the only avenue where they can play a proper headline show in the U.S. and get the respect and adoration that they deserve.

Too bad....

Glenn H.

Glen,

It doesn't sound as though this may ever happen. However, please never stop trying. I like you believe that this is the perfect forum for FW. Thanks for the insight.

Well, I guess that answers my question about Fates playing six! It sounds like it's not because Glenn hasn't tried! I'm with Fates...Glenn, please don't stop trying to get them! Man...that really sucks...it just makes total sense to me....