fav guitar solos

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
I'm sure we have discussed this before, but oh well.

What is everyones fav guitar solo?

I think mine would have to be Eddie's solo in Michael Jackson's 'Beat It'. Oh my god that solo is unreal! Theres so many great ones, and I'm sure there is some that are technically bette, but that is just incredible, and has blown my mind my whole life, lol.

Honerable mentions go to the lead work in Preist's 'Painkiller'. F'n incredible shit, and I still find myself banging my head, raising my fist, or tapping a foot every time I listen to that song! Awesome!

Megadeth deserve a mention too. No song in particular, they just rule. :D

Also wanted to give mentions to Maiden's and Metallica's solos and leads. Two of the only bands that seem to make it fit so well into the music, and don't make it just seem like wanking. Particularly Maiden. When a solo is imprinted in your mind, thats half of what makes an awesome solo IMO, and thats why wizards like Petrucci don't really do as awesome solos, as they are just flashy, and not as memorable.

Thats my take anyways. Now whats your...

Van Halen - Eruption (Easily my #1!)
Van Halen - The rest of the debut, especially Ice Cream Man, I'm The One, etc.
Randy Rhoads - Crazy Train, Over The Mountain, Mr. Crowley
Slash - Sweet Child O' Mine
Judas Priest - Beyond The Realms Of Death, Painkiller
CC DeVille (Poison) - Life Goes On (hey it's GOOD!)
Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
George Lynch - Mr. Scary, Heaven Sent
Dimebag Darrell - The Sleep, We'll Meet Again, Floods
Lots of solos off the first PC69 album
Bruce Kulick - Unholy, Reason To Live

That's all I can think of coz I'm tired :)

Dude, Petrucci has a shitload of memorable solo's.

Goodnight Kiss
Lines in the Sand
Under a Glass Moon
Scarred
Voices :headbang:
Anna Lee
Another Day
Learning to Live
A Change of Seasons (about half way through)
The Spirit Carries On :headbang:
The Great Debate

To name a few......
as well as his awesome solo's on Explorers Club... particulaly during the song Fading Fast

And most of his stuff with Liquid Tension Experiment.

I think that for a shredder, Petrucci has a shit load of emotion. He should not be typecast into the shredder role, as his playing is very diverse.

I agree with Spruce, all those petrucci solos rock.

To those i'd add:
Petrucci and morses solos on Jordan Rudess's latest
All over Michael Romeo's solos on DWOT
Michael Romeo - Communion And The Oracle
Brett Garsed - Fearless (Bobby Rock - Out Of Body)
Jimmy Pappas - One Look Away (Ice Age - The Great Divide)
Brent Allman - CliffHanger Parts 1 & 2 (Shadow Gallery - Carved In Stone & Legacy)
Steve Vai - For The Love Of God
Steve Vai - Tender Surrender
Steve Vai - Windows To The Soul
Steve Vai - Kittens Got Claws (Whitesnake - Slip Of The Tongue)
Tore Ostby - Just A Little (Ark - Burn The Sun)
Tore Ostby - The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (Ark - Ark)
Mattais "IA" Eklundh - Apparatus
Evergrey - Mark Of The Triangle (Evergrey - In Search Of Truth) - not sure which guitarist it is.

I think I could go on forever, but I should try to stop it here.

Man, how do I choose?

A quick, off-the-cuff pick of my fav's would be:

Anything by Lynch between the Tooth And Nail and Back For The Attack albums

Anything by Gary Moore, particularly Crying In The Shadows (from Wild Frontier), Speak For Yourself (from After The War) and Separate Ways (from After Hours)... Pure genius!

A shitload of early Tony McAlpine stuff

Most solos by Vito Bratta from the first 2 White Lion albums

Most of H's solos from Somewhere In Time

A good chunk of the solos that Roope and Alexi did on Sinergy's latest album

And for the ultimate ego trip here, I'd pick my solos in Life Is Black from the new Dungeon album. I'm *damn* proud of them! :)

Anything Kirk Hammet did up to and including the black album! Especially One, Fade To Black and Creeping Death!

The solos to Trail Of Tears by Testament.

Anything off Hysteria by Def Leppard.

Richie Samboras solos off Keep The Faith, New Jersey and Slippery When Wet.

Bob Kulicks solos on The Crimson Idol album.

Erm, thats all for now :)

There are probably countless solos I'm forgetting, but let's see...

John Petrucci - "Scarred". The best ever. Actually, as has already been mentioned, most of his stuff is classic.
Randy Rhoads - "Mr Crowley" and "Crazy Train". Ditto with him.
Dave and Adrian are both great, obviously, but none of their solos come to mind at the moment :)
Janick Gers - "The Assassin". Can't remember it at the moment, but I remember thinking it was great, and seeing as nobody else will probably mention the poor bloke I might as well!

I'll have to return later with more. Might listen to every CD I have and right down the names of songs with killer solos.

Originally posted by Lord Tim

Most of H's solos from Somewhere In Time

I couldnt agree more. Adrian is just bloody amazing on that album. The solos he does on the 3 songs he wrote inparticular have to be among the best solos ever created, along with his solo in the title track of course!

:worship: :headbang:

Oh and I also agree with spawny about bob kulicks solos on the crimson idol......his solos in all songs especially "The Idol" just blow me away everytime I hear them. The drumming on that album is bloody incredible as well...but thats another story :)

Petrucci has his moments in his solos, and he is still among my favourite guitarists, but with most of his stuff it is just too technical and not that emotional IMO. I can listen to a DT song I have heard 100 times, and I am still not familiar with the solo, but whenever I listen to say Maiden, I pretty much know every solo note for note in my mind...

Davey's solo in a live version of 'Tailgunner' I have is fuckin awesome. Is different to the album version (shits all over it), and sounds great! Makes the song so much better! :headbang:

Adrian rules, nuff said. :D