Fav solo, Opeth or otherwise

hmm, master of puppets maybe, kick it old school :headbang:

i'm generally not a huge petrucci fan but he has a really great run in "the dance of eternity" too

edit: *smacks forehead* forgot stairway :worship:

Pantera "Floods" is a good ol' one also.
And I've always like Zakk Wyldes "No More Tears" solo.

edit: Damn - I see Devils Daughter up there. Zakk is a badass I must admit.

and Zangief rules.

zangief.gif

early Soilwork is kick ass. Especially Machinegun Majesty, Needlefeast, and Shadowchild. probably over a minute each, with lots of moving rhythm patterns under the solos.

sun caged - unchanging (piano intro, guitar solo)
dream theater - take the time (live, ending solo w/ freebird solo)
devin townsend - away (all of it)
joe satriani's live in san francisco album - stu hamm's bass solo
savatage - live set drum solo
dream theater - another day (the guy from spyro gyra's solo, name escapes me atm)
steve vai - whispering a prayer (all of it)

Oh yeah, "Ashes of the Wake" by Lamb of God. Both LoG guitarists AND Alex Skolnick and Chris Poland (Testament and Megadeth, respectively). The solos are awesome, but the rhythm parts are fucking awesome.

1:31 - 1:56 Mark Morton
1:56 - 2:57 Alex Skolnick
3:45 - 4:15 Chris Poland
4:46 - 5:21 Willie Adler

haggard said:
Oh yeah, "Ashes of the Wake" by Lamb of God. Both LoG guitarists AND Alex Skolnick and Chris Poland (Testament and Megadeth, respectively). The solos are awesome, but the rhythm parts are fucking awesome.

1:31 - 1:56 Mark Morton
1:56 - 2:57 Alex Skolnick
3:45 - 4:15 Chris Poland
4:46 - 5:21 Willie Adler

yeah that whole song is really cool, including the solos. but i wouldn't rank the solos up there as some of the best ever recorded, by any means.

<crimson> said:
yeah that whole song is really cool, including the solos. but i wouldn't rank the solos up there as some of the best ever recorded, by any means.

Oh, definitely not...but just the fact that Lamb of God, a band with a huge metalcore following, has the balls to put an instrumental, all-solos track with 2 amazing metal guitarists on their cd is fucking awesome.

haggard said:
Oh, definitely not...but just the fact that Lamb of God, a band with a huge metalcore following, has the balls to put an instrumental, all-solos track with 2 amazing metal guitarists on their cd is fucking awesome.

true. i think it's funny how most people on here bash them, when they're actually a really good band, whose albums and songs rule.

Trey Parker said:
tea for one

Good choice. Maybe Page's most underrated work on an underrated album. Very nice and bluesy.

I think my favorite is Duane Allman and Dickey Betts on Blue Sky by The Allman Brothers. Great guitar work. Not metal though, obviously.

My all-time favorites are probably Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You and Ozzy - Mr Crowley.

<crimson> said:
mmm, I love Presence. yeah, it is definetly an underrated cd.
Yeah Presence is a great album... the opening track Achilles Last Stand is one of their best songs IMO. Shame they never made any others in that fashion.